external hard drive box question

April 14, 2005 3:33:01 AM

I bought a external box for my old hard drive to work with my laptop but I
cant open one of my files. I think it is because I made it protected on my
old computer before transfering it to the box but I cant go back and change
that. The old drive ran on XP and I can use every other file exept this one.
Any ideas?
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 1:39:59 PM

"abconrad" <abconrad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I bought a external box for my old hard drive to work with my laptop but I
>cant open one of my files. I think it is because I made it protected on my
>old computer before transfering it to the box but I cant go back and change
>that. The old drive ran on XP and I can use every other file exept this one.

See "How to Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP"
(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421).

--
(tm)
Anonymous

Thorsten Matzner wrote:
> "abconrad" <abconrad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>> I bought a external box for my old hard drive to work with my laptop
>> but I cant open one of my files. I think it is because I made it
>> protected on my old computer before transfering it to the box but I
>> cant go back and change that. The old drive ran on XP and I can use
>> every other file exept this one.
>
> See "How to Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP"
> (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421).

Whilst Thorsten's advice is usually sound, he missed the most salient point
"I made it protected" which sounds very much to me like you encrypted it. If
this is the case, and you obviously have not backed up the encryption key,
the file is as good as gone as every installation of Windows generates a new
key.

There may be software around that may be able to crack it, but it won't be
cheap and the chance of success will be remote.