floge03

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
I am building a Core 2 Duo system in the next week but had one question. Is it worth it to waste 90 bucks on a XP Home Edition OEM disc when I can just go out and download a torrent. I really don't feel like spending this money, which I can use towards Vista or other parts.

Pros/Cons would be great along with other input!

Well, I'll tell you right now... Windows Genuine Advantage is a pain in the ass. Your best bet is to buy a legit copy and that way you won't have to worry about trying the various workarounds that are out there. Even though they allow you to download from Microsoft's website, you won't necessarily be able to install everything you download. IE 7 Beta 3 and WMP 11 Beta are two great examples... along with Windows Defender.

It's better to have the legit copy than it is to go through the process of removing WGA every single time it's updated. Also, as I've stated, you can probably forget about upgrading to IE 7 and WMP 11.

llama_man

Splendid
Jan 12, 2006
I am building a Core 2 Duo system in the next week but had one question. Is it worth it to waste 90 bucks on a XP Home Edition OEM disc when I can just go out and download a torrent. I really don't feel like spending this money, which I can use towards Vista or other parts.

Pros/Cons would be great along with other input!

No piracy threads please. You know the rules.

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&tos=1

In particular;
We strictly prohibit the posting of the following types of content on all areas of our sites:
any material that violates or infringes in any way upon the proprietary rights of others, including, without limitation, copyright or trademark rights; this includes "WAREZ" (copyrighted software that is distributed illegally),

llama_man

Splendid
Jan 12, 2006
No worries. Good for you for deciding to do the honest thing!

If you're buying new hardware you can pick up an OEM copy quite cheap. I paid £50 for my OEM XP Home, which is less than I paid for the RAM, CPU, PSU, or even the case!

llama_man

Splendid
Jan 12, 2006
Go Torrent software in general is over priced bill gates being the richest man in the world what does he want with my R1000 (ZAR south african currency about minimun wage a month). the profiteering must stop!

There are ways to get around genuine advantage
download updates for free from

http://www.autopatcher.com/
http://windowsupdate.62nds.com/

What part of the forum rules didn't you understand?

Piracy is theft.

If you want to discuss it, go to another Forum.

Come back when you can install IE 7, WMP 11, Windows Defender and various free tidbits from Microsoft. When you can do all of that, then and ONLY then, will I consider these WGA "hacks" useful. I'd rather go legit... saves so much time and hassle.

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
This thread is locked because of the discussion of stolen, pirated software. As mentioned previously, it violates the Terms of Service:
We strictly prohibit the posting of the following types of content on all areas of our sites:
... any material that violates or infringes in any way upon the proprietary rights of others, including, without limitation, copyright or trademark rights; this includes "WAREZ" (copyrighted software that is distributed illegally), "mp3" files of copyrighted music, copyrighted photographs, text, video or artwork. If you don't own the copyright or have express authorization and documented permission to use it, don't put it on your site at TGP (if you do have express permission you must say so clearly on your TGP homepage). TGP will terminate the memberships of, and remove the pages of, repeat infringers.

Discussion, seeking advice re: stealing software will result in your being banned.