Sign in with
Your question

Help Building My New PC

Last response: in Systems
April 10, 2007 7:03:24 AM

Ok, i am about to build my pc by myself for the first time. Its going to be my first watercooled system as well. Any assistance/oppinion on parts would be most appreciated. Cost isnt really a factor. I Know some of the parts arent out yet, im just looking for peoples oppinions on what i am getting before i get it, or if there is anything better i could get. I already have hard drives and dvd drives so im not going to be putting them in the list.

Motherboard : Asus Striker (I know the eVGA 680i Motherboard is practically the same as the Striker, but the striker has better cooling [and more bling] and as i have said, money is not really a factor.)
CPU : QX6800
Ram : 2GB OcZ DDR2 Gold Edition PC2 6400
Video Card : 2x 8950gx2
Case : Any suggestions here are more than welcome. Im sort of looking at the CM Stacker (STC-T01) because of its ease to fit my watercooling system into.
PSU : Silverstone OP 1000 (I would have gone with the PC&P 1000w Turbo-cool but it doesnt have any 8 pin pci-e connectors and only 4 6 pin pci-e connectors.)

Water Cooling:
Swiftech Apogee GTX
Laing DDC-2 Pump w/Petra'sTech DDCT-01s Delrin Top
Swiftech MCR220-QP Dual 120mm Radiator (w/fittings)
2x Yate Loon D12SL-12, D12SM-12, or D12SH-12 120mm x 25mm Fans
10' 7/16" ID (5/8" OD) Masterkleer Tubing
1/2" OD Polypropylene T-Fitting
10 Stainless Steel Worm-Drive Hose Clamps
Danger Den Machined Delrin Fillport/T-Line Cap
Swiftech MCB-120 RadBox
Swiftech MCRES-MICRO Hi-Flo Reservoir

Once again, any help is most appreciated.

More about : building

April 10, 2007 11:38:34 AM

Money is no object, you say.

cpu - same as my buddy's next upgrade. From what I've read, quad is a bit harder to o/c than x2 due to heat, if o/c is your thing.

ram - buffalo firestix, g.skill HZ & crucial ballistix are what I'd get, if you're o/c.

psu - excellent choice. can't go wrong with either brand. there are 4-to-8-pin cpu power adapters.
April 10, 2007 11:46:31 AM

The Striker does not have better cooling. They both have what they need.

Swiftech Apogee GTX
Get the Stinger V8

BlackIce Extreme Triple 120mm Rads are better

Get Noctua fans. Same thing but they look better

Get the Aqua Computer AquaBay
April 10, 2007 12:37:08 PM

Quote:
Money is no object, you say.

cpu - same as my buddy's next upgrade. From what I've read, quad is a bit harder to o/c than x2 due to heat, if o/c is your thing.

ram - buffalo firestix, g.skill HZ & crucial ballistix are what I'd get, if you're o/c.

psu - excellent choice. can't go wrong with either brand. there are 4-to-8-pin cpu power adapters.

Heat isnt really going to be a problem with the watercooling setup i plan on getting...
Might have to look into getting some of the crucial ballistix though, they sound pretty good. Haven't heard much about the g.skill though.
The only power adapters i have heard of are 2 6pin to 1 8 pin, but i could aways be mistaken :p 

Quote:
The Striker does not have better cooling. They both have what they need.

Swiftech Apogee GTX
Get the Stinger V8

BlackIce Extreme Triple 120mm Rads are better

Get Noctua fans. Same thing but they look better

Get the Aqua Computer AquaBay

Whats the difference between the GTX and the V8? I have been unable to find any real information on the V8 unfortunately.

The triple rad would be nice, but i might have a problem with the placement of it, with the case i will probably get (Am more than willing to change the case i am getting if you can suggest a different one) it would take up 90% of the 5 1/4" bays if i was to mount it at the front and will have a hard time mounting it at the top with the size of my psu (Also, i have never modded a case before so im a bit worried about hacking up my brand spanking new case.) What i was looking at was when the gx2's come out, getting a second rad (mounted at the rear) and another pump for my gpu cooling. Was also looking at getting a thermaltake aquabay M1 cos it would look better and also has the flow metre but that is all dependant upon how much space is left at the front after i mount the rad.

With the fans for this rad, they're gunna be mounted at the front so im not really concerned what they look like, but with the second rad i will most likely get some Noctuna ones.
!