Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

why "hdtv" channels

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
Anonymous
October 31, 2004 10:05:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Will there be a day when a broadcast can be both sd and hd sent to the same
channel, and the converter box will automatically convert it? This would
not only cut down on the number of channels, but also cut back on us having
to switch from sd to hdtv video selection on the tv.

Eddie G

More about : hdtv channels

Anonymous
October 31, 2004 10:05:18 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

X-No-archive: yes

"Eddie G" <mickeddie at comcast.net> wrote in message
news:tYudncC-fdle4BjcRVn-hQ@comcast.com...
> Will there be a day when a broadcast can be both sd and hd sent to the
> same channel, and the converter box will automatically convert it? This
> would not only cut down on the number of channels, but also cut back on us
> having to switch from sd to hdtv video selection on the tv.
>
> Eddie G
=======================================
Eventually there will only be ONE channel and it will be ATSC.
All sets will require a receiver for ATSC/DTV and it will display at the
sets resolution.
=====================================
Anonymous
November 1, 2004 7:45:15 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Eddie G" <mickeddie at comcast.net> wrote in message news:<tYudncC-fdle4BjcRVn-hQ@comcast.com>...
> Will there be a day when a broadcast can be both sd and hd sent to the same
> channel, and the converter box will automatically convert it? This would
> not only cut down on the number of channels, but also cut back on us having
> to switch from sd to hdtv video selection on the tv.
>
> Eddie G

Why do you have to change ANYTHING on the TV? It's all coming through
the same input. The TV automatically recognizes the signal without
any help from the user.
Related resources
November 1, 2004 11:51:52 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Eddie G
>
> Why do you have to change ANYTHING on the TV? It's all coming through
> the same input. The TV automatically recognizes the signal without
> any help from the user.

Let's say you are one of the existing 800,000,000 people with an analog set.
You will need a little black box (be it an over the air receiver, disk or
cable box). The box will convert the single digital program into an NTSC
analog output so that your analog set can display the DTV program. Only one
DTV program is needed to achieve this objective (do you hear that "OZ"?)

Richard.
Anonymous
November 1, 2004 8:35:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Larry Bud" <larrybud2002@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:5db363e0.0411010445.48aa942c@posting.google.com...
> "Eddie G" <mickeddie at comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:<tYudncC-fdle4BjcRVn-hQ@comcast.com>...
>> Will there be a day when a broadcast can be both sd and hd sent to the
>> same
>> channel, and the converter box will automatically convert it? This would
>> not only cut down on the number of channels, but also cut back on us
>> having
>> to switch from sd to hdtv video selection on the tv.
>>
>> Eddie G
>
> Why do you have to change ANYTHING on the TV? It's all coming through
> the same input. The TV automatically recognizes the signal without
> any help from the user.

Yes, but sometimes an sd signal through the DVI or component cable is worse
than from the cable. I've read about this, and have experienced it myself.
The difference is very small, but noticeable. But again, why does ABC need
an hd channel and an sd channel?
November 2, 2004 4:49:03 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Eddie G" <mickeddie at comcast.net> wrote in message
news:Iuydne8IOougJxvcRVn-gg@comcast.com...
>
> "Larry Bud" <larrybud2002@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:5db363e0.0411010445.48aa942c@posting.google.com...
>> "Eddie G" <mickeddie at comcast.net> wrote in message
>> news:<tYudncC-fdle4BjcRVn-hQ@comcast.com>...
>>> Will there be a day when a broadcast can be both sd and hd sent to the
>>> same
>>> channel, and the converter box will automatically convert it? This
>>> would
>>> not only cut down on the number of channels, but also cut back on us
>>> having
>>> to switch from sd to hdtv video selection on the tv.
>>>
>>> Eddie G
>>
>> Why do you have to change ANYTHING on the TV? It's all coming through
>> the same input. The TV automatically recognizes the signal without
>> any help from the user.
>
> Yes, but sometimes an sd signal through the DVI or component cable is
> worse than from the cable. I've read about this, and have experienced it
> myself. The difference is very small, but noticeable. But again, why does
> ABC need an hd channel and an sd channel?
It is a matter of lack of maturity in the TV's implementation. A pure
digital input, be it low or high resolution, should always be superior, once
mature circuit designs are built into the set. Some of the newest releases
are doing a much better job with NTSC input.

Richard.
Anonymous
November 2, 2004 4:49:04 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Richard" <rfeirste@nycap.rr.com> wrote in message
news:jIBhd.33723$JS4.30375@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
>
> "Eddie G" <mickeddie at comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:Iuydne8IOougJxvcRVn-gg@comcast.com...
>>
>> "Larry Bud" <larrybud2002@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> news:5db363e0.0411010445.48aa942c@posting.google.com...
>>> "Eddie G" <mickeddie at comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> news:<tYudncC-fdle4BjcRVn-hQ@comcast.com>...
>>>> Will there be a day when a broadcast can be both sd and hd sent to the
>>>> same
>>>> channel, and the converter box will automatically convert it? This
>>>> would
>>>> not only cut down on the number of channels, but also cut back on us
>>>> having
>>>> to switch from sd to hdtv video selection on the tv.
>>>>
>>>> Eddie G
>>>
>>> Why do you have to change ANYTHING on the TV? It's all coming through
>>> the same input. The TV automatically recognizes the signal without
>>> any help from the user.
>>
>> Yes, but sometimes an sd signal through the DVI or component cable is
>> worse than from the cable. I've read about this, and have experienced it
>> myself. The difference is very small, but noticeable. But again, why
>> does ABC need an hd channel and an sd channel?
> It is a matter of lack of maturity in the TV's implementation. A pure
> digital input, be it low or high resolution, should always be superior,
> once mature circuit designs are built into the set. Some of the newest
> releases are doing a much better job with NTSC input.

Yea, but CRT's are analog. I always leave my TV on the DVI input and very
VERY rarely switch to the cable for an sd show.
Anonymous
November 2, 2004 6:15:17 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

> It is a matter of lack of maturity in the TV's implementation. A pure
> digital input, be it low or high resolution, should always be superior,
> once mature circuit designs are built into the set. Some of the newest
> releases are doing a much better job with NTSC input.
>
> Richard.

Whoa Nellie!
Sounds like you have bought into the notion that digital transport is
inheritantly higher quality than analog. NOT SO. Your basic telephone uses
digital transport and still has only a 3kz bandwith and lousy S/N ratio.
Internet video is digital and is inferior to even a poor NTSC signal.
Digital is ONLY better if it given sufficent bandwidth and a clean source.
PLEASE do not perpetuate the myth that digital is better just because it is
digital. It usually is better (thankfully) because it is appropriately
implemented.
Anonymous
November 2, 2004 2:07:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Harold Horseradish" <sdf@lk.com> wrote in message news:<9ZChd.2909$_3.34742@typhoon.sonic.net>...
> > It is a matter of lack of maturity in the TV's implementation. A pure
> > digital input, be it low or high resolution, should always be superior,
> > once mature circuit designs are built into the set. Some of the newest
> > releases are doing a much better job with NTSC input.
> >
> > Richard.
>
> Whoa Nellie!
> Sounds like you have bought into the notion that digital transport is
> inheritantly higher quality than analog. NOT SO. Your basic telephone uses
> digital transport and still has only a 3kz bandwith and lousy S/N ratio.
> Internet video is digital and is inferior to even a poor NTSC signal.
> Digital is ONLY better if it given sufficent bandwidth and a clean source.
> PLEASE do not perpetuate the myth that digital is better just because it is
> digital. It usually is better (thankfully) because it is appropriately
> implemented.

What is NTSC?
Anonymous
November 2, 2004 2:49:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Eddie G wrote:
>
> "Larry Bud" <larrybud2002@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:5db363e0.0411010445.48aa942c@posting.google.com...
> > "Eddie G" <mickeddie at comcast.net> wrote in message
> > news:<tYudncC-fdle4BjcRVn-hQ@comcast.com>...
> >> Will there be a day when a broadcast can be both sd and hd sent to the
> >> same
> >> channel, and the converter box will automatically convert it? This would
> >> not only cut down on the number of channels, but also cut back on us
> >> having
> >> to switch from sd to hdtv video selection on the tv.
> >>
> >> Eddie G
> >
> > Why do you have to change ANYTHING on the TV? It's all coming through
> > the same input. The TV automatically recognizes the signal without
> > any help from the user.
>
> Yes, but sometimes an sd signal through the DVI or component cable is worse
> than from the cable. I've read about this, and have experienced it myself.
> The difference is very small, but noticeable.


But again, why does ABC need
> an hd channel and an sd channel?

In the TV digital world both a HD & SD program fit within

the 19.38 mhz bandwidth, especially for 720p....

15.0 Mhz HD & 2.5 Mhz SD is 17.5 Mhz using 720p...

1080i HD takes up slightly more HD bandwidth.....

ABC 720p can offer addition SD Program content for free....
Anonymous
November 2, 2004 4:28:03 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Eddie G" <mickeddie@comcast.net> wrote
> What is NTSC?

National Television Standards Committee

The specifications used in analog broadcasting.
Anonymous
November 2, 2004 5:39:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

NTSC stands for National Television System Committee, which devised the
NTSC television broadcast system in 1953. NTSC is also commonly used to
refer to one type of television signal that can be recorded on various
tape formats such as VHS, 3/4" U-matic and Betacam.

The NTSC standard has a fixed vertical resolution of 525 horizontal
lines stacked on top of each other, with varying amounts of "lines"
making up the horizontal resolution, depending on the electronics and
formats involved. There are 59.94 fields displayed per second. A field
is a set of even lines, or odd lines. The odd and even fields are
displayed sequentially, thus interlacing the full frame. One full
frame, therefore, is made of two interlaced fields, and is displayed
about every 1/30 of a second.

NTSC countries are: USA, Antigua, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda,
Bolivia, Burma, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Dominican
Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Greenland, Guam, Guatemala, Guyana,
Honduras, Jamaica, Japan, South Korea, Mexico, Netherlands Antilles,
Nicaragua, Panama, Peru, Philippines, Puerto Rico, St. Vincent & the
Grenadines, St. Kitts, Saipan, Samoa, Surinam, Taiwan, Tobago,
Trinidad, Venezuela, Virgin Islands.


--
charper1
------------------------------------------------------------------------
This message was posted via http://www.satelliteguys.us by charper1
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 3:15:17 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

NTSC is the current standard definition signals.

Phil


"Eddie G" <mickeddie@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:6799ea2c.0411021107.43d72f54@posting.google.com...
> "Harold Horseradish" <sdf@lk.com> wrote in message
> news:<9ZChd.2909$_3.34742@typhoon.sonic.net>...
>> > It is a matter of lack of maturity in the TV's implementation. A pure
>> > digital input, be it low or high resolution, should always be superior,
>> > once mature circuit designs are built into the set. Some of the newest
>> > releases are doing a much better job with NTSC input.
>> >
>> > Richard.
>>
>> Whoa Nellie!
>> Sounds like you have bought into the notion that digital transport is
>> inheritantly higher quality than analog. NOT SO. Your basic telephone
>> uses
>> digital transport and still has only a 3kz bandwith and lousy S/N ratio.
>> Internet video is digital and is inferior to even a poor NTSC signal.
>> Digital is ONLY better if it given sufficent bandwidth and a clean
>> source.
>> PLEASE do not perpetuate the myth that digital is better just because it
>> is
>> digital. It usually is better (thankfully) because it is appropriately
>> implemented.
>
> What is NTSC?
!