GP

Distinguished
May 22, 2004

Hi

I cant get Incd4 to work on 2 machines, eg 1 machine wont read each others
disk

where can i go for advice on CD burning.
I tries forums on incd homepage and I keep having to login

I have Incd4 just installed on 2 home PC's with winXP.

I can drag and drop onto CD on each computer from harddrive.

I have P4 2.0g and amd 2.8G

I cant put a CD in other machine , it doesnt read the contents I just get a
whole lot of .html files. Going from AMD2.8g then put CD in p42.0G using
Incd4 doesnt work but the reverse does on the machines so it does work going
from old machine to newer.

No this isnt a CD error

I just want the machines to read each other CD's

Gordon

gp wrote:
> Hi
>
> I cant get Incd4 to work on 2 machines, eg 1 machine wont read each others
> disk

You either need to have formatted the CD for packet writing, or have
*finalised* the CD when burning it.

Gordon Burgess-Parker
Director
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 22:17:51 +1000, gp wrote:

> I cant put a CD in other machine , it doesnt read the contents I just get a
> whole lot of .html files.

Are you saving html files? If yes, the reason it may be working on one
computer and not the other may be related to the type of file that you are
working with.

An html file is a composite view: usually a text page (written in html) and
any supplemental files for the page (images, sound, etc). When saving a web
page, the result is an html file and a folder of the same name. Or save as
MHTML which combines the document and folder into one file. In other words,
make sure you are saving all parts of a web page before taking the disk to
the other computer to view the files.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Have you updated InCD to the latest version? There were problems with
earlier versions of the program.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"gp" <grum@invalid> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I cant get Incd4 to work on 2 machines, eg 1 machine wont read each others
> disk
>
> where can i go for advice on CD burning.
> I tries forums on incd homepage and I keep having to login
>
> I have Incd4 just installed on 2 home PC's with winXP.
>
> I can drag and drop onto CD on each computer from harddrive.
>
> I have P4 2.0g and amd 2.8G
>
> I cant put a CD in other machine , it doesnt read the contents I just get
> whole lot of .html files. Going from AMD2.8g then put CD in p42.0G using
> Incd4 doesnt work but the reverse does on the machines so it does work
going
> from old machine to newer.
>
> No this isnt a CD error
>
> I just want the machines to read each other CD's

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

Is this a CD or a CDRW? Are you using UDF or Mt. Rainier format?

inCD creates these HTML files to be readable as ISO 9660. They are displayed
when a UDF or Mt. Rainer media is read on another machine that can't handle
the format. Otherwise, they are normally hidden. I suspect that the drive
in your newer machine may be using Mt. Rainier and the drive in the older
doesn't support it. (inCD will default to Mt. Rainier if supported.) If
this is the case, the solution is to set inCD to use UDF which will work in
both. Note that a rewritable media must be formatted by inCD for UDF. Mt.
Rainier media are formatted as written, making it appear that no formatting
is required.

--

"Gordon" <gordonbp1@yahoo.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
> gp wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I cant get Incd4 to work on 2 machines, eg 1 machine wont read each
>> others disk
>
> You either need to have formatted the CD for packet writing, or have
> *finalised* the CD when burning it.
>

> --
> Interim Systems and Management Accounting
> Gordon Burgess-Parker
> Director
> www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

using InCD you dont do any of that.

I have a dvd and cd r/w seperate in p4 PC
I have dvd/cd r/w combo in AMD.

The problem is when you burn a CD in the combo you can only use the DVD in
the other machine to read it, not the CD reader.
It seems to be the dvd/cd combo can produce a data CD that a plain CD player
can read

Gordon

gp wrote:
> "Gordon" <gordonbp1@yahoo.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
>
>>gp wrote:
>>
>>>Hi
>>>
>>>I cant get Incd4 to work on 2 machines, eg 1 machine wont read each
>>>others disk
>>
>>You either need to have formatted the CD for packet writing, or have
>>*finalised* the CD when burning it.
>>

> using InCD you dont do any of that.

Think you'll find that you do. I don't know of ANY burning application
where you don't get options to either create a multi-session CD (ie burn
several sessions of data to it) OR to finalise the CD at the time of
burning. InCD may not CALL it that, but I can assure you that that is
what happens with burning software.

> I have a dvd and cd r/w seperate in p4 PC
> I have dvd/cd r/w combo in AMD.
>
> The problem is when you burn a CD in the combo you can only use the DVD in
> the other machine to read it, not the CD reader.

That's because you haven't *FINALISED* the CD. If you *FINALISE* the CD
then you should be able to read it on ANY CD/DVD drive, whether it is a
RW drive or not.

Gordon Burgess-Parker
Director
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

> gp wrote:
>> "Gordon" <gordonbp1@yahoo.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message

>>>You either need to have formatted the CD for packet writing, or have
>>>*finalised* the CD when burning it.
>>>

>> using InCD you dont do any of that.
>
> Think you'll find that you do. I don't know of ANY burning application
> where you don't get options to either create a multi-session CD (ie burn
> several sessions of data to it) OR to finalise the CD at the time of
> burning. InCD may not CALL it that, but I can assure you that that is what
> happens with burning software.
>

>> I have a dvd and cd r/w seperate in p4 PC
>> I have dvd/cd r/w combo in AMD.
>>
>> The problem is when you burn a CD in the combo you can only use the DVD
>> in
>> the other machine to read it, not the CD reader.
>
> That's because you haven't *FINALISED* the CD. If you *FINALISE* the CD
> then you should be able to read it on ANY CD/DVD drive, whether it is a RW
> drive or not.
>

> --
> Interim Systems and Management Accounting
> Gordon Burgess-Parker
> Director
> www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

I think your on the wrong track here.

InCD doesnt give you the option to finalise. It supposes to make a CD work
like a floppy disk. It simply operates to the user differently.
Check the nero website or InCD for more information.

GP

Distinguished
May 22, 2004

"GTS" <x> wrote in message news:%23%23rDC3PQFHA.2972@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Is this a CD or a CDRW? Are you using UDF or Mt. Rainier format?
>
> inCD creates these HTML files to be readable as ISO 9660. They are
> displayed when a UDF or Mt. Rainer media is read on another machine that
> can't handle the format. Otherwise, they are normally hidden. I suspect
> that the drive in your newer machine may be using Mt. Rainier and the
> drive in the older doesn't support it. (inCD will default to Mt. Rainier
> if supported.) If this is the case, the solution is to set inCD to use
> UDF which will work in both. Note that a rewritable media must be
> formatted by inCD for UDF. Mt. Rainier media are formatted as written,
> making it appear that no formatting is required.
>
> --
>
> "gp" <grum@invalid> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> I cant get Incd4 to work on 2 machines, eg 1 machine wont read each
>> others disk
>>
>> where can i go for advice on CD burning.
>> I tries forums on incd homepage and I keep having to login
>>
>> I have Incd4 just installed on 2 home PC's with winXP.
>>
>> I can drag and drop onto CD on each computer from harddrive.
>>
>> I have P4 2.0g and amd 2.8G
>>
>> I cant put a CD in other machine , it doesnt read the contents I just get
>> a whole lot of .html files. Going from AMD2.8g then put CD in p42.0G
>> using Incd4 doesnt work but the reverse does on the machines so it does
>> work going from old machine to newer.
>>
>> No this isnt a CD error
>>
>> I just want the machines to read each other CD's

most logical response yet.
How come the older PC has property that it can RW Mt rainer disc....when the
CD cant read it but the dvd-rom can?
The incd reader is installed?

Hello;
There is an excellent piece of CD/DVD software that is available on the
web...and it is FREE. Use a search engine, such as Google, and conduct a
search for Isobuster. You will find Isobuster informative for both the
beginner, and the expert. Enjoy.
Melvin

> "GTS" <x> wrote in message
>> Is this a CD or a CDRW? Are you using UDF or Mt. Rainier format?
>>
>> inCD creates these HTML files to be readable as ISO 9660. They are
>> displayed when a UDF or Mt. Rainer media is read on another machine that
>> can't handle the format. Otherwise, they are normally hidden. I suspect
>> that the drive in your newer machine may be using Mt. Rainier and the
>> drive in the older doesn't support it. (inCD will default to Mt.
>> Rainier if supported.) If this is the case, the solution is to set inCD
>> to use UDF which will work in both. Note that a rewritable media must be
>> formatted by inCD for UDF. Mt. Rainier media are formatted as written,
>> making it appear that no formatting is required.
>>
>> --
>>
>> "gp" <grum@invalid> wrote in message
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I cant get Incd4 to work on 2 machines, eg 1 machine wont read each
>>> others disk
>>>
>>> where can i go for advice on CD burning.
>>> I tries forums on incd homepage and I keep having to login
>>>
>>> I have Incd4 just installed on 2 home PC's with winXP.
>>>
>>> I can drag and drop onto CD on each computer from harddrive.
>>>
>>> I have P4 2.0g and amd 2.8G
>>>
>>> I cant put a CD in other machine , it doesnt read the contents I just
>>> get a whole lot of .html files. Going from AMD2.8g then put CD in p42.0G
>>> using Incd4 doesnt work but the reverse does on the machines so it does
>>> work going from old machine to newer.
>>>
>>> No this isnt a CD error
>>>
>>> I just want the machines to read each other CD's
>>>

> most logical response yet.
> How come the older PC has property that it can RW Mt rainer disc....when
> the CD cant read it but the dvd-rom can?
> The incd reader is installed?

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

<SNIP>

> most logical response yet.
> How come the older PC has property that it can RW Mt rainer disc....when
> the CD cant read it but the dvd-rom can?
> The incd reader is installed?

Mt Rainier requires hardware as well as software support. Some drives can
support Mt Rainier with a firmware upgrade, but most older hardware simply
doesn't support it. Apparently the dvd-rom drive is Mt Rainier compatible
and the CD drive isn't.. The Nero InfoTool can be used to identify what
formats are supported by the various drives.