Lenovo brand Computer 3.2Ghz

SyscoKid

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
I will shortly be getting a Lenovo M52 with a 3.2Ghz processor and I was wondering if anyone has had experience with this Lenovo brand. From what I've seen they remind me of Dells and such, you don't know what's going in the box and the price is more than what you'd pay building it yourself.

TIA,

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Well, it's not good to buy a PC without even knowing the brand and the quality of the CPU inside, especially if you care about performance. By the frequancy, it is a Pentium4 or pentiumD for sure because no other Intel or AMD CPU at the moment runs at a stock 3.2GHz and googling for 5 seconds I found out that the M52 line is only equipped with Pentium 4s.
To make it short, it's one of the worst things you can get now. Don't know what your requirements are but I'd look at something else.

SyscoKid

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
I have no faith in these unhead of brand name or any brand name for that matter that sells prebuilt machines. The name of the game for them is cheap cheap cheap, especially in the lower price range.

Do you think this will be a Dual Core? Is it an old power hungry chip? From what I saw the machine has only 512megs of Ram, which seems rediculous!

So frustrated since it's my work computer and the IT guy doesn't seem to really care.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
I have no faith in these unhead of brand name or any brand name for that matter that sells prebuilt machines. The name of the game for them is cheap cheap cheap, especially in the lower price range.

Do you think this will be a Dual Core? Is it an old power hungry chip? From what I saw the machine has only 512megs of Ram, which seems rediculous!

So frustrated since it's my work computer and the IT guy doesn't seem to really care.
Lenovo is FAR from an "unheard of brand name"

Our hospital purchases their equipment almost exclusively and I must admit they do have excellent service... last time I called for technical support the gentleman answered the phone "This is so-and-so at Lenovo technical support in Atlanta, GA" Now I LIKE that!

Like someone else said... they bought the consumer line of PCs and laptops off of IBM (Thinkpad anyone?)

SyscoKid

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
This machine is an office PC. I use huge excel files and do a lot of data mining. I still think it's going to be a POS.

SyscoKid

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
The irony of this purchase is that it comes after a meeting on cutting cost, where I mentioned on new computer purchases it's best to buy newer lower voltage machines. I guess they figure the savings from not turning on the heat in the winter will off-set the AC cost in the summer :p

In terms of raw calculating power is this a good processor? Whould 512Mb be limiting?

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Well, I'd just advice you something like a cheap dual core system like a X2 3600+ or AT LEAST one with a single core Athlon64 3800+ if you are seeking a minimum of extra performance and power saving.
512MB, ...well, for what you do I don't think they'll be limiting; unless you are not using Vista or your databases are XXL size :wink: