nicwillemse

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Can anyone please help me, please my machine keeps rebooting, i formatted the hard disk and reinstalled xp pro and still the problem persists. what could cause a problem like this ?

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
Please list the specs of your PC. Don't forget the PSU.

When does it reboot? Can you get into Windows?

It could be caused by a failing/undersized PSU. A lot of times this shows up when you upgrade or add something to your PC.

It also could be caused by either wrong ram settings, or a bad stick of ram.

nicwillemse

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Well i havent stuck anything new in, jus did a reformat cos i was getting the wonderful blue screens, think it was an irq prob, my pc is relatively new so there is no prob with the ram or anything. i can get into windows, it does this kinda randomly. i was thnking heat could be one ? could conflicting devices cause this ?

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
New ram or not, you should test it. Download memtest86. It's free, so there's no reason not to.

Heat could cause it. You could make sure heat sink is seated properly. If you pull it off, you should apply new thermal paste. Make sure you clean the old stuff off first.

I would say that it's not likely conflicting hardware since you haven't added anything.

nicwillemse

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Ok ill give it a try, where can i get it ?

another thing though, do u know what tis error means : when i tried to install something of a cd it gave me an error something like crc error or something of the sort ?

nicwillemse

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
hahaha, i was going through the windoes event log, it says talks about an error occuring while paging, could there be a link ?