My first homade pc, suggestions/opinions plz

Ausxor

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2007
I've decided to take the plunge and build my own PC. As I've never been able to afford my a new PC until recently so I haven't payed much attention to the hardware side of computing (my best desktop was built in 1996), so any suggestions regarding my proposed setup below would be much appreciated.
It's purpose is to be a gaming machine, although it will also be used for programming work, bittorrent etc.. I would probably multi boot with XP, Vista and Ubuntu Linux. I would like to be able to overclock the CPU and GPU, although I'm unsure of what extra cooling would be needed.
I sort of ripped this from a pre-built system offered by an online store, I like the components they have chosen and it fits into my price range exactly(approx. AU$2500 when homemade).
CPU: Intel Duel Core Duo E6600
GPU: 640MB 8800GTS Leadtek
Motherboard: Gigabyte 965P-DS4
Memory: Corsair Kit - 2GB (TWIN2X2048-6400PRO)
Power Supply: Thermaltake toughpower 750w
Monitor: Samsung 940N
Hardrive: Some Seagate SATA 320G (Parts supplier does not list the model number) + a cheap 200G hardrive I already own (brand unknown).
Case: Antec P180
Other stuff like a wifi card, ethernet card, dvd writer and floppy will be added.

The power supply is quite expensive, is this model really necessary? Are their any cheaper models that would be sufficient? Will the fan be suffient for overclocking or would I need extra cooling?
Although their is a chance I might never need it, is their a decent motherboard for the E6600 that supports SLI (the NForce website dosn't go into much detail about their support for Conroe processors)? If I'm unlikely to use SLI would the intel based motherboard listed above be the proffered choice?

jeff_2087

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2007
Good system though you could save a lot of money on it by switching some similar parts.

CPU: Price drops on April 22. Core 2s get much cheaper and a few more models are introduced. I like the look of the 4mb e6420 for $183.

GPU: Good although EVGA and XFX tend to have cheaper and better warranties but that depends where you get it. Also at 1280x1024 you don't need the 640 version right now, 320 would be its equal... but maybe in the future 320 wouldn't be enough, who knows.

Board: Don't know much about the DS4 but the DS3 is a great board.

Memory: Good if it's not too expensive, you shouldn't pay more than $200US maximum.

PSU: You don't need 750W, 450 would do for a single card if it has enough 12v. Seasonic, Silverstone, FSP Group, PC P&C, Corsair are good.

Asus P5N-E SLi is pretty decent and cheap but I'd recommend the DS3/DS4, SLi is only worth it for very high end.

edit: oh about cooling, Intel's stock cooler should get an e6600 around 3GHz, give or take a couple hundred MHz depending on your CPU and case. You should be able to get 3.6GHz with a good aftermarket cooler but beyond that you'd start needing something more serious like water, strong peltier, etc. An e6420 would be similar, probably a bit lower.

Ausxor

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2007
CPU: Price drops on April 22. Core 2s get much cheaper and a few more models are introduced. I like the look of the 4mb e6420 for $183.
Thanks jeff, I had no idea about the price drop. Plus your suggestion regarding the resolution and the GPU memory makes sense as well. Do you think I would need any extra cooling if I wanted to overclock the components in my first post? I heard the core2's run pretty cool, even when overclocked.

Since most people here are probably from the US, this is the list of parts and prices (Australian) that I can choose from if anyone is interested. http://www.msy.com.au/Parts/PARTS.pdf. These prices are pretty cheap for Australia.

jeff_2087

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2007
The stock cooling would be fine for a moderate OC, 3GHz should be easy on the stock cooler. Details on the price drops here.

About the graphics card, the 320 would save money but it's impossible to say if it'd be sufficient for big new DX10 games in the future. My personal opinion is that it would. In fact, I'm buying the 320 sometime this week. Besides, Crysis won't be out for a long time yet anyway. So yeah, at 1280x1024 I see no reason to spend more on the 640 version, for all intents and purposes the 320 should be just as good.

TRENDING THREADS