Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

F8ck 8800gtx

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
April 10, 2007 3:02:41 PM

so yeah i'm all excited and what not about getting my 8800gtx that i purchased but as i read around. I'm having doubts being able to max oblivion at 1600x1200 and re-thinking if i've got to save up another 500 to sli the bitch lol...... what a f8ckin bummer eh...

is 30ish fps good enough or will that be a little choppy?

More about : f8ck 8800gtx

April 10, 2007 3:11:53 PM

Minimum 30 FPS would be fine but average 30FPS means sometimes it'd drop below 30 and be choppy. Seeing as I assume that's average, it'd sometimes be choppy. A single GTX should play at 1600x1200 fine, just don't crank AA/AF.
April 10, 2007 3:23:37 PM

What proc do you have?
Related resources
April 10, 2007 3:27:21 PM

i'm going to have a x2 6000 its all going to be here on thursday.

dammit i've been waiting 10 years to finally be old enough to purchase the stuff i want to max the things i want.

Now i think i gotta sli the bitch... f8ck... lol damn compooter compoonents and their prices

nah "stay calm stay calm" gotta tell myself spending 1300 is enough.....
April 10, 2007 3:37:25 PM

I think your processor is half your problem....

AMD is not a good gaming proc nowadays. Especially if you're playing w/something *LESS* than the 6000 right now..
April 10, 2007 3:47:16 PM

ok look i did some more research and apparently the 8800gts 320mb can run 2xaa 1600x1200 fine and the 640mb can run 4xaa fine and soooooo

i think i'm just going overboard i mean i should see a difference right?

This computer here is and athlon xp 2700 with a 6800 gt agp
compared to my soon x2 6000 8800gtx

there should be a big difference

and i also just upgraded a 17" crt (its actually 16 those damn bastards)
to a true 20.1" widescreen lcd

I spent over 1500 bucks

I want to see trees and grasses in my damn games.... dammit thats why i paid the 1500 bucks to see grasses and trees...... omg i'm so pathetic..... why in the hell would someone spend 1500 bucks to see really nice trees and grasses in their games..... oh gawd help me...... i need sleep i need sleep
April 10, 2007 4:00:54 PM

LOL... you're pairing that w/an xp 2700????? And you think it's the graphics card????

Wow.

Also... w/a system that old, you may want to check your power supply.. it may not be able to handle the 8800gtx.
April 10, 2007 4:06:52 PM

Dude, you're going to see a large if not huge improvement. I had the same rig, well almost I had a 4200 X2. I jumped to the 8800 GTX, awesome man awesome.
April 10, 2007 4:14:44 PM

Quote:
LOL... you're pairing that w/an xp 2700????? And you think it's the graphics card????

Wow.

Also... w/a system that old, you may want to check your power supply.. it may not be able to handle the 8800gtx.


no no no you're not understanding the whole thread... actually its my fault that its hard to understand me bleh..

i'm worried about not being able to max out games with the 8800gtx when it arrives. I just purchased brand new parts to finally upgrade my computer.
a new mobo proc video case psu ram drive you name it its all brand new

i'm just reassuing myself that my new system will outbeat the one i'm using
April 10, 2007 4:16:41 PM

Quote:
I think your processor is half your problem....

AMD is not a good gaming proc nowadays. Especially if you're playing w/something *LESS* than the 6000 right now..


what a dumb comment
April 10, 2007 4:21:56 PM

With my specs i get between 30 and 80 outside depending on where I am, plays fine!
April 10, 2007 4:23:51 PM

Quote:
With my specs i get between 30 and 80 outside depending on where I am, plays fine!


ohooo a man with an 8800gtx mind if i ask how maxed out are your options? and mind if i ask what your definition of "fine" is? lol
April 10, 2007 4:29:39 PM

Co2 - Ahhh.. after reading your OP, I can see what you are saying. I wouldn't be worried about it till you get it in hand. I think you're going to be pleasantly surprised.

As for the people on my AMD comment - Have you not seen the CPU charts from.... SUMMER of 2006? AMD has been on the bottom of the gaming charts (in terms of high end computers) for over a year now... Everyone knows this (or I thought they did at least).


Seriously... what are you going to say next? Bush is an eloquent public speaker?
April 10, 2007 4:30:03 PM

dude.. a little thought here? There's no way he can possibly pair it with a 2700 athlon.. unless there's a PCI Express board for socket 462 that i dont know about.

Also, there's absolutely nothing wrong with AMD as a gaming processor, especially the 6000+; just because they arent as fast as the C2D clock for clock doesnt make them no good for gaming..

I'd say probably anything above an X2 3800+, or even a single core 3800+ would provide a decent gaming experience.
April 10, 2007 4:31:47 PM

I play Oblivion at 1920x1080 with 2xAA, and it runs completely smooth. Im using a X1900XTX and a X2 4800, so yeah yours should play 1600x1200 just fine. My other settings were preset to "Ultra Quality" or whatever, but I could find more specific info at home on that.

I wouldn't sweat it too much, you should be able to run it perfectly fine. SLi 8800's is for like 2560xwhatever res or 16xAA, ridiculous stuff like that.
April 10, 2007 4:32:33 PM

Bush is an eloquent public speaker....

joking aside.... yeah you're right i should be surprised... i mean I paid 1500 dollars I better be surprised.
April 10, 2007 4:33:56 PM

Quote:
I play Oblivion at 1920x1080 with 2xAA, and it runs completely smooth. Im using a X1900XTX and a X2 4800, so yeah yours should play 1600x1200 just fine. My other settings were preset to "Ultra Quality" or whatever, but I could find more specific info at home on that.

I wouldn't sweat it too much, you should be able to run it perfectly fine. SLi 8800's is for like 2560xwhatever res or 16xAA, ridiculous stuff like that.


ok ok ok you guys are calming me down... thanks
lol man i'm just going cuckoo
April 10, 2007 4:34:24 PM

Quote:
yeah and in some respects the 6000 does beat it in benchmarks right?
http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html?modelx=33&model1...
i mean graphical charts don't lie... do they? lol


You're talking about games here though, correct?

http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html?modelx=33&model1...
http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html?modelx=33&model1...
http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html?modelx=33&model1...


Notice how I said, "especially if you are playing with *less* than the 6000 right now." The 6000 can compete, but lower models aren't even close to the 6600 (which is clearly not the top core2 duo, whereas the 6000 is the top x2)

THG reviews have shown over and over how there is a certain bottleneck on the AMD x2s, and until they release a new line, this is how it will be... Let me see if I can find the article I'm talking about.
April 10, 2007 4:36:33 PM

Quote:
yeah and in some respects the 6000 does beat it in benchmarks right?
http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html?modelx=33&model1...
i mean graphical charts don't lie... do they? lol


You're talking about games here though, correct?

http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html?modelx=33&model1...
http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html?modelx=33&model1...
http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html?modelx=33&model1...


Notice how I said, "especially if you are playing with *less* than the 6000 right now." The 6000 can compete, but lower models aren't even close to the 6600 (which is clearly not the top core2 duo, whereas the 6000 is the top x2)

THG reviews have shown over and over how there is a certain bottleneck on the AMD x2s, and until they release a new line, this is how it will be... Let me see if I can find the article I'm talking about.

no no no no not necessary this isn't a cpu topic its about my paranoia with the 8800gtx
April 10, 2007 4:37:39 PM

Here we go:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/11/29/geforce_8800_nee...
Quote:
One final thing we would like to point out in the Doom 3 results is that the game is still "CPU bound" at 1024x768 for Nvidia DX10 hardware. The scores are bottlenecked by what the CPU can deliver to the graphics subsystem. This is not the case for the DX9 hardware.


EDIT: but the whole article points out what I was talking about.
April 10, 2007 4:40:28 PM

Quote:
Co2 - Ahhh.. after reading your OP, I can see what you are saying. I wouldn't be worried about it till you get it in hand. I think you're going to be pleasantly surprised.

As for the people on my AMD comment - Have you not seen the CPU charts from.... SUMMER of 2006? AMD has been on the bottom of the gaming charts (in terms of high end computers) for over a year now... Everyone knows this (or I thought they did at least).


Seriously... what are you going to say next? Bush is an eloquent public speaker?


Dont compound your dumb comment with more dumb comments....

you will recieve severe flames....

your comments make it seems like if if you have a AMD chip you cant runn current games with a 8800GTX

are u high?
April 10, 2007 4:40:53 PM

Sorry ha, forgot to mention


1650*1080
all settings maxxed except,
some shadows reduced
4xAA

fine, basically perfect, smooth, can get mildly jerky (very slightly) in the cities, 28-30fps minimum in city
April 10, 2007 4:41:39 PM

Don't worry Co2... you're going to be fine with what you have... sorry, I got sidetracked when people said I didn't know what I was talking about as per the CPU discussion.

My bad.

And PSYCH - I wasn't thinking... there's no way he could pair that w/an XP

EDIT: Lord, not high, just literate.
April 10, 2007 4:42:45 PM

Quote:
Co2 - Ahhh.. after reading your OP, I can see what you are saying. I wouldn't be worried about it till you get it in hand. I think you're going to be pleasantly surprised.

As for the people on my AMD comment - Have you not seen the CPU charts from.... SUMMER of 2006? AMD has been on the bottom of the gaming charts (in terms of high end computers) for over a year now... Everyone knows this (or I thought they did at least).


Seriously... what are you going to say next? Bush is an eloquent public speaker?


Dont compound your dumb comment with more dumb comments....

you will recieve severe flames....

your comments make it seems like if if you have a AMD chip you cant runn current games with a 8800GTX

are u high?

noo sniffles... don't create another intel vs amd thread war... its ok he didn't imply that you can't run current games with an 8800gtx nOOoooOooOoo What have I done..... the madness the insanity...oh why must i go on
April 10, 2007 4:44:13 PM

Quote:
Sorry ha, forgot to mention


1650*1080
all settings maxxed except,
some shadows reduced
4xAA

fine, basically perfect, smooth, can get mildly jerky (very slightly) in the cities, 28-30fps minimum in city


kukukuku... that sounds maximumly beautiful :twisted:
April 10, 2007 4:44:19 PM

Lol Co2... welcome to the graphics card general forum..
April 10, 2007 5:15:41 PM

Quote:
Don't worry Co2... you're going to be fine with what you have... sorry, I got sidetracked when people said I didn't know what I was talking about as per the CPU discussion.

My bad.

And PSYCH - I wasn't thinking... there's no way he could pair that w/an XP

EDIT: Lord, not high, just literate.


i feel sorry for your mother
April 10, 2007 5:42:05 PM

Quote:

i feel sorry for your mother


Wow pope, that seemed kind of emotional!

Are you feeling OK? :tongue:
April 10, 2007 5:47:19 PM

While I don't think it should have gotten that far lordpope, his comment about not being a good gaming processor, is ignorant. The 6000+ is excellent, it's sitting at $239 on new egg right now. The 6600 is at $308.... I think that it's actually a very good processor for the money. especially because the 6000+ beats it in a lot of cases :D 
April 10, 2007 5:55:37 PM

Quote:
While I don't think it should have gotten that far lordpope, his comment about not being a good gaming processor, is ignorant. The 6000+ is excellent, it's sitting at $239 on new egg right now. The 6600 is at $308.... I think that it's actually a very good processor for the money. especially because the 6000+ beats it in a lot of cases :D 


Yes... but not in gaming.. which is what he wanted. Why pair up a top of the line card w/a sub par proc, if your aim is gaming?

Again, I'm not saying anything new... these facts have been out for a year now, please learn to read before you continue posting, lordpope.
April 10, 2007 6:01:52 PM

by alot of benchmakrs you mean only a few for the 6000+

The 6000+ runs hotter than a QX6800. If you're into overclocking, then the E6600 has 50% OC potential on air alone while the 6000+ is near the K8 ceiling.

I would stick with a 5600+ to save money and heat.
April 10, 2007 6:07:01 PM

But you're not understanding... he's calling it "not good for gaming".. so you're telling me it can't run games well?
April 10, 2007 6:38:17 PM

FX-60
Xfx 8800GTX
Oblivion
1280*1024
EVERYTHING max
runs wonderfully


'nuff said
April 10, 2007 6:38:28 PM

I play Oblivion at 1680x1050 with all in game options at the max, 4xAA and 16xAF and the game generally doesn't drop below 30FPS.
April 10, 2007 6:44:41 PM

your CPU is sub par and sucks for gaming

as we all learned from this thread

might as well use it for a boat anchor.....cant game on it
April 10, 2007 6:47:26 PM

Quote:
FX-60
Xfx 8800GTX
Oblivion
1280*1024
EVERYTHING max
runs wonderfully


'nuff said


as per this thread... you do understand your AMD chip is holding u back...is sub par..and it sucks

might as well give it to the orphanage...so they can atleast play some quake 1
April 10, 2007 6:49:48 PM

Quote:

i feel sorry for your mother


Wow pope, that seemed kind of emotional!

Are you feeling OK? :tongue:

yeah i got a lil emotional

but i have pulled myself back in
April 10, 2007 6:56:25 PM

Ok lordpope... since you cannot seem to comprehend what I'm saying, I'll explain everything for you.

- A 8800GTX is TOP of the line for gaming.
- His CPU is sub par for gaming. It just is. Graphs that have been out close to a year confirm this. Arguing this point just further proves your ignorance.
- Using this particular CPU holds the 8800GTX back from what it is fully capable of, which is what he was hoping he could do originally. Again, this is something graphed and documented by people with a whole hell of a lot more training than you or I have put together.
- I never said his CPU was USELESS for gaming, or that it should substitute as a boat anchor. That was pulled from where your daddy shouldn't be touching you at night.
April 10, 2007 7:01:17 PM

Quote:
Ok lordpope... since you cannot seem to comprehend what I'm saying, I'll explain everything for you.

- A 8800GTX is TOP of the line for gaming.
- His CPU is sub par for gaming. It just is. Graphs that have been out close to a year confirm this. Arguing this point just further proves your ignorance.
- Using this particular CPU holds the 8800GTX back from what it is fully capable of, which is what he was hoping he could do originally. Again, this is something graphed and documented by people with a whole hell of a lot more training than you or I have put together.
- I never said his CPU was USELESS for gaming, or that it should substitute as a boat anchor. That was pulled from where your daddy shouldn't be touching you at night.


Sigh...it's a little too late now, but don't be sucked in by pope, all he wants to do is make you angry. Read his posts in any thread and you'll see what I mean. I don't think he cares about tech at all, he just likes to light fires.
April 10, 2007 7:02:09 PM

Quote:
Ok lordpope... since you cannot seem to comprehend what I'm saying, I'll explain everything for you.

- A 8800GTX is TOP of the line for gaming.
- His CPU is sub par for gaming. It just is. Graphs that have been out close to a year confirm this. Arguing this point just further proves your ignorance.
- Using this particular CPU holds the 8800GTX back from what it is fully capable of, which is what he was hoping he could do originally. Again, this is something graphed and documented by people with a whole hell of a lot more training than you or I have put together.
- I never said his CPU was USELESS for gaming, or that it should substitute as a boat anchor. That was pulled from where your daddy shouldn't be touching you at night.


dont tell me tell the other dozen people who just called u a buffoon in this thread
April 10, 2007 7:05:59 PM

Quote:

dont tell me tell the other dozen people who just called u a buffoon in this thread


Case in point. 8)
April 10, 2007 7:09:46 PM

Oh it's ok.. I flame w/the best of 'em. I'm on boards that are pretty much just for that, with language restrictions.. so you have to be crafty ;) . I've been very, very polite up to this point.

I've already proved my point, I just wanted to leave a little something for funny :) .
April 10, 2007 7:12:22 PM

OK... I can play oblivion on my 3ghz p4 with some settings maxed and others set to mid (7600 gt)... you better be able to play it with the 6000+ and the 8800gtx

Might you get a few more fps with the x6800? probably. Would you get more with the fx74? probably. Fact is, the 6000 came down 100$ and made itself a good deal for the time being. good purchase in my opinion.

the 6000 is a massive jump for you and you will love it. the 8800gtx will own everything you have now (I can't wait to see how it fairs with crysis).

This thread was started by the OP to quell his fear that he dropped 1300 (or 1500 according to later posts) on a system that would not meet his needs of seeing the pretty grass and trees that oblivion has to offer. His system meets this need. The thread could have been 3 posts total, the innitial, someone responding telling him that it will kick ass, the OP saying thanks.
April 10, 2007 7:21:25 PM

Quote:
OK... I can play oblivion on my 3ghz p4 with some settings maxed and others set to mid (7600 gt)... you better be able to play it with the 6000+ and the 8800gtx

Might you get a few more fps with the x6800? probably. Would you get more with the fx74? probably. Fact is, the 6000 came down 100$ and made itself a good deal for the time being. good purchase in my opinion.

the 6000 is a massive jump for you and you will love it. the 8800gtx will own everything you have now (I can't wait to see how it fairs with crysis).

This thread was started by the OP to quell his fear that he dropped 1300 (or 1500 according to later posts) on a system that would not meet his needs of seeing the pretty grass and trees that oblivion has to offer. His system meets this need. The thread could have been 3 posts total, the innitial, someone responding telling him that it will kick ass, the OP saying thanks.


we all know this... but one person told him his CPU was shitty thus the thread blew up
April 10, 2007 7:26:42 PM

Quote:
Ok lordpope... since you cannot seem to comprehend what I'm saying, I'll explain everything for you.

- A 8800GTX is TOP of the line for gaming.
- His CPU is sub par for gaming. It just is. Graphs that have been out close to a year confirm this. Arguing this point just further proves your ignorance.
- Using this particular CPU holds the 8800GTX back from what it is fully capable of, which is what he was hoping he could do originally. Again, this is something graphed and documented by people with a whole hell of a lot more training than you or I have put together.
- I never said his CPU was USELESS for gaming, or that it should substitute as a boat anchor. That was pulled from where your daddy shouldn't be touching you at night.


I dont like lordpope but his right. The 6000+ is equal to a E6400 and enough 2 pull the 8800gtx :wink:
a b U Graphics card
April 10, 2007 7:27:56 PM

That how you saw it? Ok I did too, except I saw two threads, one stating what you said, the other saying amd is faaaar inferior. Hmmm well I guess I have to believe the people that actually DO own lessor processors and same su[erior graphics card. Seens to me they work, somehow, together, thus it MUST be the gfx card and of course NOT all those inferior cpu's. OH? And also reassuring the OP that even with inferior processors that what he is getting, that it still kicks @$$
April 10, 2007 7:30:26 PM

btw dude.. just start out with one gtx :)  u can always sli it if u dont think its enough for u.
April 10, 2007 7:31:12 PM

Quote:


I dont like lordpope but his right. The 6000+ is equal to a E6400 and enough 2 pull the 8800gtx :wink:


no... it's not (enough to pull the 8800gtx).

Read the article I posted previously...

I wasn't comparing the 6000 to the 6400 in any of my posts... I was saying that a top of the line card should be paired with a top of the line proc. If you're going to use a 6000, use a 8800GTS, because you're not going to get any more out of that than the 8800GTX.


Pretty much this entire thread is riddled with missunderstandings and those who perpetuate them.
April 10, 2007 7:43:14 PM

even the x6800 bottlenecks the 8800gtx but i dont think many is willing to give $9xx for a highend cpu and even tho the bottleneck isnt big with a 6000+.. and all who has been here a half a year or more knows the article is sh1t.. u dont know how much debate there has been over it.




I was saying that a top of the line card should be paired with a top of the line proc. If you're going to use a 6000, use a 8800GTS, because you're not going to get any more out of that than the 8800GTX. <-- OMFG WHAT IS THAT!! WHAT IS THAT!! ur going 2 get alot more out of the gtx than the gts now fo from this forum.
!