Want to Build WC-System Help Please

WestWarrior

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2007
Ive tried to build a Water-Cooling System from a kit before, but without much success, the kit pretty much sucked....but i think i would like to try again, this time building my own custom, and building it right.

First i cant decide which case to go with, i thought about going with an all Acrylic case, but i dont think that would be very heat efficient. i found one with 3 120mm fans, but not sure about it. I would like for the case to be a Mid-Tower, something that isnt really tall. I kinda like this one
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16811119117

For my CPU block i was looking at getting either at D-Tek Fuzion or a GT or GTX. Probley 2 Maze4s on my GPUs. 1/2 Tygon and Fluid XP. Thats the easy part..i was really curious about Pumps, Radiators and Reservoirs.

Can anybody suggest a reservoir? im really kinda lost there...I was looking at getting a Swiftech655 as my pump, either 1 or 2. Are there any advantages in a dual pump system? or is it just pointless. I thing a Dual 120mm sounds good, and i want to keep everything internal. If i did go Dual pump, would 2 singles be fine? I think thats all

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
What are you going to be cooling? Which CPU are you cooling and which pair of GPUs? A single MCP655 will do just fine through pretty much any setup you can throw at it. Remember the Swiftech MCP655 and Laing D5 are the same pump, I think I've seen it labeled as Danger Den D5 also.

How do you plan to keep the kit internal inside the Cooler Master case? Or are you planning to use a Rad-Box and hang your radiator off the back?

Depending on your setup, I would suggest a triple 120mm rad if you are cooling an SLI/CF setup and an overclocked CPU.

WestWarrior

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2007
i think im goin with a e6600 to OC or maybe a Celeron D, i hear you can push those pretty far. I havent really decided on GPUs, im kinda waitin on the DX10 ATi cards.

Im not really sure about the radiator thing, i would go with a triple if you think thats the best. but i would really really like to keep this all Internal, is there any possible way i could do that?

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
Go with the E6600...you will thank me for it.

Yes you can do it all internal, with some case modding. Or you can do like:
rcc-44f03c36dea46Watercooling.jpg

With the radiator on the back. That is a tiny radiator but you get the idea.

Chuckshissle has a nice setup with his triple rad on a swiftech rad-box if you want to find one of his posts he has a link in his sig.

Or you can be like me if you want all internal and do this:
http://img207.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf1553ap9.jpg

WestWarrior

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2007
Yea, i know about the e6600, i have it in another PC i built, i was just thinkin about the Celeron D because you can buy them for under 100$

Wow, that is alot of clutter in that case, but still nice...yea, is it possible to mount a Triple to stand up in a case? like right before the Mobo? would that be heat friendly?

Also what is the difference between all the Radiators? i know the Thermochill 120.3 is supposed to be the holy grail of triple 120mm Radiators. Why? whats the difference between that and the others?

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Yea, i know about the e6600, i have it in another PC i built, i was just thinkin about the Celeron D because you can buy them for under 100$

If you need a cpu for under $100 wait until the Intel price drops later this month, or get an X2, AMD cut the prices again yesterday (well, 2 days ago, now that it's past midnight).

WestWarrior

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2007
yea, this is all in theory, like, i want a new PC, and i really wanna experiment with Water Cooling. I probley wont order any hardware for a few more months, i will probley start ordering the WC components as i get the money

Also, does anybody know a way to wire the pump to a Military Style Switch? In Example, for the novel purpose of being about to turn my pump on before my computer

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
I dont know if a triple would fit there, it's not my case.

Mine is the linked imageshack case...that has an internal rad but only cool outside air comes in and exits out the bottom.

WestWarrior

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2007
i know it wouldnt fit in that case, but how about another case? my main question is whether its logical or not. I saw a triple mounted to the top of a case, that would be really cool, but would require some modding i believe. does anybody know of a case with 3 120mm fan slots in the top?

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
Pretty much any normal case is going require modding if you plan to use internal water cooling.

The upcoming Antec P190 will have dual 120mm fans on the top, perfect for a radiator to sit in, but I am not sure when it is supposed to be released. The case was scheduled for February release I think but apparently it is pushed back as froogle.com finds nothing when I search for it.

WestWarrior

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2007
Ok, i found a case, its the case that the guy mounted the triple on

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112105

Im pretty confident in my Dremel skills that i think i could cut the holes and mount the fans and radiator.

Would it decrease my temps if in addition to the triple, i just put a normal 120mm radiator on the rear? Also nobody ever answered my question about the differences in radiators.

Also i heard its hard to get a D-Tek Fusion in the states, is that right?

WestWarrior

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2007
Ok, that was a dumb question, Fuzions are in supply at Petras, sry, that was a dumb question.

I have basically picked out everything i want, and im almost ready to start ordering...I only have a few more question in addition to a few other ones that are still unanswered.

I think im gonna add an additional 120mm Rad in the rear exhaust, would anyone else recommend this? if so what is a good one? Also is there really enough of a difference between MAZE4 and MAZE5s? that sounds like a dumb question.

Also please see if this flow sounds right

Res.>Pump>CPU>Rear Rad.>GPU1>GPU2>Top Rad.

does that sound right?

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
I would also recommend only a triple rad. You may or may not get better performance by adding another single rad, but you will certainly add more possibilities for a leak and will hinder your flow rate.

It is up for debate, but my personal choice for flow order is this:

Pump -> rad -> CPU -> GPU -> Res(or Pump if using T-Line)

The thinking behind this setup is to put your heat producing items all together (pump/cpu/gpu) so your rad can remove the heat from them and when the water is at it's coolest it is going to the CPU where you probably need the most cooling. Multi rad setups get a little more confusing but basically I recommend to have the water going to your CPU, coming directly from a radiator.