Win2000 programs very slow to load

Kestrel

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
I've been experiencing a problem for the last few weeks, basically when I try to launch certain programs or processes it takes a very long time for them to start. Programs I run all the time like email, Firefox, etc start up normally, but for example when I try to access task manager, add/remove programs, or install a new program there is a very long delay, basically I will click whatever it is to start, then there's a delay of 20-30 seconds where basically nothing happens, then the program starts and executes normally. There's no strange sounds or other indicators to tell me what the problem is, could be hard drive issues or just windows going bad. I've tried anti-virus, spyware removal, hijack this, it all looks normal.

Basically this problem is more of an aggravation than anything else, but I want to find out what the cause of it is.

Thanks for any help!

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
If you haven't done so recently, clean out the junk files including your browser(s) and then defrag your drive(s). Also if it's been more than 6 to 9 months might want to do a fresh install of 2000. It's really a pain but seems to need to be done every now and then