Some input for D-Link Xtreme N Gigabit Router

Oracle

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2002
Hey guys,

I'm about to replace my old router with a wireless one and was checking out the reviews. The D-Link Xtreme N Gigabit router seems to gather some good critics. What's your take on this product?

Thanks.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
IMHO, I would get a really cheap 54mbs router to hold you over for a while.

802.11N is still in a bit of flux and I would be very hesitant to spend a lot on the routers and NICs at this current time.

For the wireless portion, don't forget that you can't use the Built-in Wireless NICs for your Laptops if you want the good performance but rather will need to buy addons.

I recently had to replace my wireless router because it is starting to short and I get an older 54mbs router even though I was tempted.

Personally, I would stay away from this router.
I would only look for something that was a Dual Band router supporting both 2.4ghz and 5 Ghz.

To support this, the router will need two radios so a firmware update will never grant this.

It is coming qutie apparent that the 2.4Ghz band which is the default for 802.11n is quite congested and you will often find that you cant get full speed. The 5.0ghz band which some vendors are starting to add has far more room.

See here ................
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/29885/96/

Unless you live in a neighborhood with very extensive distances between your homes, I suspect you will never see the claimed potential of the routers using the 2.4ghz bus.

Bide your time and go cheap until a nice selection of the Dual-Band routers are available.

RichPLS

Champion
I have DLinks Gamers Lounge DGL-4300 and it is an excellent router for its price. Very pleased with wireless and gigabit performance.

I would think the N version would perform as advertised especially if using DLink N nic cards. Other nics might drop back to 802.11G speeds or whatever it can negotiate at, due to it not being standardized yet...

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
If you have read any reviews for Draft-N products, you will realize that none come close to matching claimed performance.

One of the primary reason is that if you have any other wireless networks in range, it can't obtain all of the needed channels. This is why vendors have just started to implement the 5Ghz channel because the other method was not working as advertised in the real world.

You also may want to see what you are doing with the wireless network.
Websurfing and Gaming see no real benefit from speeds over 54mbs.

If you are tossing files/movies, etc... around your house, then yes you will see a big boost when moving up to some of the proprietary configurations that yield 108mbs or higher claims.

vic20

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
I don't know why everyone is slamming quasi-n so bad. I have a linksys n router with 3 wireless G networks close by and the wireless is VERY fast.

I transferred thousands of MP3s over the wireless and it went as fast as a 100Mb wired connection.

I'm planning on buying on of the DIR-655 and disabling the wireless, just for the upload/download bandwidth and number of connections it supports. Just look at the router charts and see how the cheap wireless G and even wired routers fare.....

Oracle

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2002
This router would be used mainly to move chunks of files across a network of three computers, one in the basement (where the router would be located), one on the main floor and one upstairs. Occasionally, I may use a laptop outside in the backyard, during sunbath sessions 8).
Obviously, it will also be used for websurfing and gaming (sometimes simultaneously on two computers).
Basically, I need a fast router with a good range.
I'm living in a residential suburban town, so I believe the airwaves here are not too overcrowded.
I found the N spec interesting, and I'm also aware that it still is a draft. But I won't wait until 2009 for JEDEC to standardize it. Draft 2.0 compliant units should be compatible with the final N specs (remains to be seen). So maybe I'll just look for products making use of the draft 2.0 specs. In any case, I need something good right now, and products using draft N specs offer better possibilities than previous iterations of the 802.11 standard.

Oracle

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2002
I totally agree with you.
I didn't expect people would be bashing draft N that much.
N (even as a draft) eats G for breakfast.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
The problem is that you don't have to be that crowded to get interference.
From my wireless laptop I can see 16 different wireless networks in my suburban neighborhood home. There may even be additional ones that are there that I can't see unless I do a bit of air sniffing.

While you can switch up the channels you use a bit, there is a limit since the dual-channel bonding of Draft-N requires a lot of channels next to each other.

The Buffalo that I linked earlier and this soon to be released DLINK overcome that limit by using a totally different frequency with a much larger range of available channels.

http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=1&pid=548

You definately want someting faster than 54mbs at some point no doubt based upon what you want to do. I have mine setup using older Dual-Bonded G wireless stuff that runs at 108mbs and I can clearly see the difference. However, to get it to run at that speed I had to do a lot of channel hopping to get stable as often at night I would drop connections as activity peaked on otehr wireless networks.

Others seem to disagree, but I think getting a setup that supports the 5ghz band as a smart move that will save you heartache in the long with possible needing to replace your routers and NICs which could get costly.

Since the choice on Dual-Band routers today is only a single model with a second coming sooner is why I suggest getting a hold over 54mb wireless router for $20-$30 until the newer stuff hits the street.

Oracle

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2002
I had a look at the Buffalo router, but it is way too pricey.
The D-Link is CDN$150 and the Buffalo is CDN$315.
I don't mind switching my setup in a year or two when N is standardized.
In the meantime, is there a better router with the performance numbers of the D-Link in its price range, available right now?
Your input was valuable and helpful.
Thanks.

vic20

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
I would look for a review on the Apple AirPort Extreme Base Station. Its dual-band n, and only $199 CAN

EDIT. Its not gigabit. So if you have lots of files to transfer b/w wired gigabit PCs, you're pretty limited in choice.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
The model you picked is perfectly fine for what it is in that price range.

The thing to remember is that a swapout will not just be the router, but likely all of the Wireless NICs as well, hence a switch in a year may be pricey.

It's likely best to play to stick with that router for a while if you make that move.

I've been on the 108mbs NetGear stuff for 2-3yers now and it works great but the router you linked is likely better. In my situation not better enough to make the switch and I'm waiting for the Dual-Band routers to come down from sky high.

The 2nd radio is really only a $5 part so in the long run they likely will not be that expensive. The added cost is what held implementing this technology back.