cbotiza

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2007
Hi there,
Totally new to the subject. Would like to buy an E6600 system and I'm concerned with the following topics:

1. What would be the best RAM model and type for the FSB of 1066 as claimed by this CPU?
2. tom's hardware site's CPU charts show that for Math-related tests done with Sandra 2007, Intel E6600 is clearly outperformed by AMD AThlon 64 FX. Should I be concerned about that?
I must mention that I need the system mostly for programming (especially Java), most probably no video-related processing (advanced rendering, image processing).
Any one any comments, review links...?
Thanks so much

nightscope

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
Hi there,
Totally new to the subject. Would like to buy an E6600 system and I'm concerned with the following topics:

1. What would be the best RAM model and type for the FSB of 1066 as claimed by this CPU?
2. tom's hardware site's CPU charts show that for Math-related tests done with Sandra 2007, Intel E6600 is clearly outperformed by AMD AThlon 64 FX. Should I be concerned about that?
I must mention that I need the system mostly for programming (especially Java), most probably no video-related processing (advanced rendering, image processing).
Any one any comments, review links...?
Thanks so much

Well, since all you're doing is programming, you wouldn't need to OC your CPU, therefore, you wouldn't need that good of ram. Any ddr2-800 ram would do. Something like this would suit you fine:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231098

Athlon has been known to perform a little better in some math-related programs, but nothing else. So you'd be better off buying the E6600, as it is cheaper AND much faster than the FX series in MANY if not all other things. It can also OC like crazy with good cooling, so keep that in mind. Actually, if you OC your E6600, it'll basically outperform anything AMD has out atm. One more thing, Intel is executing price cuts on April 22, so I would wait till then to buy the CPU.

Hope that was helpful.

DDR2533 (FSB 266) or above will work if you want a 1:1 ram/FSB ratio, since the E6600 runs at FSB 266. DDR2667 or DDR2800 would simply improve your memory timings, as long as you maintain the 1:1 ratio. Your computer will automatically set your speeds of your ram at 533 anyway, UNLESS you physically change the settings yourself, or unless you have a special motherboard, that automatically overclocks the ram. So basically, you don't absolutely need DDR800, or even DDR667. You could run the DDR533.

However, you could run faster speeds with the faster ram at slightly higher ram prices, and possibly gain between 1-5% performance improvement. It would give you better bandwidth for your memory, thus improving the performance. The choice from there is up to you.

As far as the processor, goes....for what processing you will be doing, I would not be worried about the math unless you are seriously crunching numbers. The only Sisoft Sandra tests that the FX 62 even beat the E6600 on were the Arithmatic Mflops, and Memory Integer tests. Otherwise, on ALL the rest of the math tests, the E6600 outperfomed the FX 62. Also, just as the previous poster stated, the E6600 is significantly cheaper on the wallet, and will beat the Athlon FX in most all other tests as well as the math tests. IMO the E6600 is still the better performer for even your needs, based on these results.

cbotiza

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2007
Thanks so much.

Now I'm pretty sure I will buy the E6600. Just needed confirmation.

Are you sure Intel cuts prices on Apr 22?

2root3

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2007
That is the exact date according to "industry moles", i have not heard anything official yet (pls some-one correct me, i want to be wrong)
e66666600000000