Silent cooler for my P4

uri

Distinguished
May 24, 2004
Hi,

I've got a P4 2.8 @ 3.15 with stock cooling and the noise is driving me crazy so I decided on buying the Arctic Cooling Super Silent 4 Ultra (I couldn't find the TC version where I live) and I've got some questions:

1. On they're site the note the the Intel stock cooling is better then the Super Silent (0.30°C/W against Intel's 0.28°C/W) what does it means for my pc (it peaks at about 65° C)

Good system ventilation is crutial for the CPU cooling. The temperature in the area of the CPU cooler should never exceed 38°C. Therefore we recommend to use a temperature controlled Case fan.
Is this true should I be worried about my PWM temperature being 40°-50°C? (on Abit's uGuru its inside the normal scale) Should I get another case fan?

Thanks for your help
Uri

By the way I know I should replace the P4 and I'm going to, but for now...

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Hi,

I've got a P4 2.8 @ 3.15 with stock cooling and the noise is driving me crazy so I decided on buying the Arctic Cooling Super Silent 4 Ultra (I couldn't find the TC version where I live) and I've got some questions:

1. On they're site the note the the Intel stock cooling is better then the Super Silent (0.30°C/W against Intel's 0.28°C/W) what does it means for my pc (it peaks at about 65° C)

2. Good system ventilation is crutial for the CPU cooling. The temperature in the area of the CPU cooler should never exceed 38°C. Therefore we recommend to use a temperature controlled Case fan.
Is this true should I be worried about my PWM temperature being 40°-50°C? (on Abit's uGuru its inside the normal scale) Should I get another case fan?

Thanks for your help
Uri

By the way I know I should replace the P4 and I'm going to, but for now...
1. It means that your CPU will maybe run ~1C hotter(i would pick a better HS/F). It doesn't make sense to go backwards. Is your P4 s478 or LGA775?

2. Yes, PWM temps should be monitored, and not allowed to get too high, 40-50C is fine. Temps in the 60's+ range would need active cooling, and 80's will shorten your mobo's life, if left unchecked for too long.

GL :)

uri

Distinguished
May 24, 2004
Thanks,

My PWM tops at 50 so that's fine... :D

Do you know of another cooler at this price range for socket 478?
I know that going backwards doesn't make much seance but the stock cooler is just so loud...

lghtmup98

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
I'm running the Zalman in my sig on my prescott socket 478 and it is silent. I get up to about 64C maxed with a case temp of 33C. Kind of warm, but the TDP for this chip is 69C. At stock clock, it never gets over 52C.

The thermal resistance is between .22 and .29 C/W depending on fan speed.

I'm just not sure if you can still get them.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Thanks,

My PWM tops at 50 so that's fine... :D

Do you know of another cooler at this price range for socket 478?
I know that going backwards doesn't make much seance but the stock cooler is just so loud...
Well, for that price ($12.99 at Newegg), you probably aren't going to get much better. You'll either get quieter with worse cooling, or better cooling with worse noise. If you had more to spend, you could probably do better. GL :)

uri

Distinguished
May 24, 2004
Thanks all,

I've decided to go with "Quieter with worse cooling" since any other cooler would cost at least 5 times that price and P4 just isn't worth that...

Temperature is not the problem right now and i guess 1°-2°C won't do much damage (it will still be under 70°C)

Of course I'll be back here if I'll have any problem.

Thanks again
Uri