Need advice on M/B that supports ECC memory

Southern200

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2007
All --

I'm currently in the market for a new motherboard & CPU, but I don't want to have to buy new RAM.. I currently have 4GB of DDR2 5300, 667. CL5, ECC Ram (Four 1GB Chips).

I'm looking for a M/B that will support that, along with a Intel Pentium D925 3.0GHz CPU (LGA 775).. "Nice" features to have would include both PATA and SATA drive support and a 16X PCI-E slot. :)

Would anyone have any recommendations?

I've been running myself ragged trying to find boards that will support buffered ECC Memory. :(

Many thanks for any assistance! :)

Southern200

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2007
That may be the way I wind up going, Mondo, but surely there's at least a couple of boards out there for desktop PCs that will take ECC memory.. The Asus P5WD2-E will take 'em for instance, but that board is a bit hard to find right now -- NewEgg had 'em a few weeks ago, I should have gobbled one up then. :)

Mondoman

Splendid
I haven't looked at that specific board, but remember that you need a board that can take *registered* ECC memory, not *unbuffered* ECC memory. I'd be surprised to find a "normal" desktop MB that can handle registered memory.

Edit: took a quick look at the Asus MB, and as I suspected, it only supports unbuffered memory (both normal and ECC).

Southern200

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2007
Darn, that may indeed be the case with that motherboard, but I'm almost certain that the official Asus site stated it accepted *Buffered* ECC memory.. I can't verify that at the moment though, as the official ASUS site is apparently down. :(

Well, shucks. I hate to have to replace $250 or so worth of memory, I guess I'll have to hold off on my upgrade a bit longer than I wanted to. :(

Thanks for the help & advice though, it's greatly appreciated. :)

Mondoman

Splendid
I notice the MU site doesn't say whether the ECC is unbuffered or registered -- pretty frustrating!

Edit - I tracked down one of the Kingston modules recommended by MU, and it is unbuffered (but ECC): KVR533D2E4/256 is the part number.

Southern200

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2007
You're right on the money, MondoMan.

Ah well, guess I'll just have to buy new memory, darn it. Was hoping to avoid that. :)

Thanks for the assistance & information. :)