Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Instant power off on PPC 2003

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
July 6, 2005 6:15:11 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

How do you force a PPC 2003 device to turn off when the power button is
pressed?

I use two PPC 2003SE devices, Dell x50v and Toshiba e830, and both have
problems turning off.

The Toshiba will blank the screen and will not be responsive to a screen tap
but the wireless says on and kills the battery.

The Dell only turns off the backlight and you need to wait until the timeout
turns it off. This is useless since users stick them in their pocket the
second they turn off the device and bumping the screen turns it back on then
kills the battery.

More about : instant power ppc 2003

Anonymous
July 6, 2005 9:55:33 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

It sounds as if you are holding the power button to turn it off, you
actually just need a quick depress of the button to get the device to turn
on/off. Holding the power button(1-3 seconds) will turn the backlight
on/off while quickly depressing the button(<1sec) should turn the device
on/off.

--
--
Eric Hicks [That_Kid] (MS-MVP Mobile Devices)

The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights...

"Darren" <deo.is@unknown.com> wrote in message
news:%23TjzjDngFHA.3912@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> How do you force a PPC 2003 device to turn off when the power button is
> pressed?
>
> I use two PPC 2003SE devices, Dell x50v and Toshiba e830, and both have
> problems turning off.
>
> The Toshiba will blank the screen and will not be responsive to a screen
> tap
> but the wireless says on and kills the battery.
>
> The Dell only turns off the backlight and you need to wait until the
> timeout
> turns it off. This is useless since users stick them in their pocket the
> second they turn off the device and bumping the screen turns it back on
> then
> kills the battery.
>
>
>
>
July 6, 2005 9:55:34 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

I noticed the difference.
The screen is blank not just dim but the battery still goes dead in less
than a week.
I don't think all 20+ units are defective since they all behave the same
way.

I'm guessing it is just going into sleep mode and not powering down.

"Eric Hicks [MVP]" <i'm@home.with.u> wrote in message
news:%23abZXWngFHA.3656@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> It sounds as if you are holding the power button to turn it off, you
> actually just need a quick depress of the button to get the device to turn
> on/off. Holding the power button(1-3 seconds) will turn the backlight
> on/off while quickly depressing the button(<1sec) should turn the device
> on/off.
>
> --
> --
> Eric Hicks [That_Kid] (MS-MVP Mobile Devices)
>
> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
> rights...
>
> "Darren" <deo.is@unknown.com> wrote in message
> news:%23TjzjDngFHA.3912@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > How do you force a PPC 2003 device to turn off when the power button is
> > pressed?
> >
> > I use two PPC 2003SE devices, Dell x50v and Toshiba e830, and both have
> > problems turning off.
> >
> > The Toshiba will blank the screen and will not be responsive to a screen
> > tap
> > but the wireless says on and kills the battery.
> >
> > The Dell only turns off the backlight and you need to wait until the
> > timeout
> > turns it off. This is useless since users stick them in their pocket
the
> > second they turn off the device and bumping the screen turns it back on
> > then
> > kills the battery.
> >
> >
> >
> >
>
>
Related resources
July 6, 2005 9:55:34 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Thanks for the info. I wan getting frustrated trying to figure out why it
would sometimes blank the display and sometimes not.

I was expecting the power button to work like a PC power button.. ie when
you hold it in for 3 seconds it shuts down and if you press it quick it goes
into sleep mode.



"Eric Hicks [MVP]" <i'm@home.with.u> wrote in message
news:%23abZXWngFHA.3656@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> It sounds as if you are holding the power button to turn it off, you
> actually just need a quick depress of the button to get the device to turn
> on/off. Holding the power button(1-3 seconds) will turn the backlight
> on/off while quickly depressing the button(<1sec) should turn the device
> on/off.
>
> --
> --
> Eric Hicks [That_Kid] (MS-MVP Mobile Devices)
>
> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
> rights...
>
> "Darren" <deo.is@unknown.com> wrote in message
> news:%23TjzjDngFHA.3912@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > How do you force a PPC 2003 device to turn off when the power button is
> > pressed?
> >
> > I use two PPC 2003SE devices, Dell x50v and Toshiba e830, and both have
> > problems turning off.
> >
> > The Toshiba will blank the screen and will not be responsive to a screen
> > tap
> > but the wireless says on and kills the battery.
> >
> > The Dell only turns off the backlight and you need to wait until the
> > timeout
> > turns it off. This is useless since users stick them in their pocket
the
> > second they turn off the device and bumping the screen turns it back on
> > then
> > kills the battery.
> >
> >
> >
> >
>
>
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 9:55:35 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

> Thanks for the info. I wan getting frustrated trying to figure out why it
> would sometimes blank the display and sometimes not.
>
> I was expecting the power button to work like a PC power button.. ie when
> you hold it in for 3 seconds it shuts down and if you press it quick it
> goes
> into sleep mode.
>


By the way - when you switch it off like this, it really is only in sleep
mode. If you want to actually switch it off, then you get a hard reset.

Windows Mobile 5 will fix this, so "they" tell me.


Steve
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 12:50:15 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

The PPC doesn't have a true off mode. The long press does just turn off the
light, and the short turns the device off, but off is as you suspect, sleep.
The system is still running background operations that are needed to process
alarms and reminders and such and keeping the RAM refreshed for that instant
on feature. So yes, setting it down while 'off' will certainly run down the
battery.



--
Sven
MVP - Mobile Devices
"Darren" <deo.is@unknown.com> wrote in message
news:o ucNhgngFHA.3256@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>I noticed the difference.
> The screen is blank not just dim but the battery still goes dead in less
> than a week.
> I don't think all 20+ units are defective since they all behave the same
> way.
>
> I'm guessing it is just going into sleep mode and not powering down.
>
> "Eric Hicks [MVP]" <i'm@home.with.u> wrote in message
> news:%23abZXWngFHA.3656@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> It sounds as if you are holding the power button to turn it off, you
>> actually just need a quick depress of the button to get the device to
>> turn
>> on/off. Holding the power button(1-3 seconds) will turn the backlight
>> on/off while quickly depressing the button(<1sec) should turn the device
>> on/off.
>>
>> --
>> --
>> Eric Hicks [That_Kid] (MS-MVP Mobile Devices)
>>
>> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
>> rights...
>>
>> "Darren" <deo.is@unknown.com> wrote in message
>> news:%23TjzjDngFHA.3912@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> > How do you force a PPC 2003 device to turn off when the power button is
>> > pressed?
>> >
>> > I use two PPC 2003SE devices, Dell x50v and Toshiba e830, and both have
>> > problems turning off.
>> >
>> > The Toshiba will blank the screen and will not be responsive to a
>> > screen
>> > tap
>> > but the wireless says on and kills the battery.
>> >
>> > The Dell only turns off the backlight and you need to wait until the
>> > timeout
>> > turns it off. This is useless since users stick them in their pocket
> the
>> > second they turn off the device and bumping the screen turns it back on
>> > then
>> > kills the battery.
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> >
>>
>>
>
>
!