Kaotix

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2006
Okay my problem is either a: this disc i have is the install disk or b: i cant find the install disc, heres the problem, Im buying a new computer soon and i have seen that having xp preloaded onto my computer will cost 98 dollars..., so im looking for the xp disc i should have gotten with my computer that i have now, but i cant find it! the problem with a: up there^ is that either i cant seem to find the cd key or the cd key is xxxxx-xxx (x's are numbers just dont feel like typint them just incase,) Yet i thought cdkeys were 5 sets of 5 numbers and letters, B i cant find a disk that just says, windows xp on it. Any ideas of how to find whatever, or any place that i can download what i need then burn it to a disk and then use it on the new one or what?

sturm

Splendid
Is your old computer a prebuilt? aka HP, Compac, Gateway, etc. If so then you more than likely didnt get an xp install disc with it. You got a recovery cd that reinstalls the os from a hidden partition on the factory hard drive.
Ask the place your buying the computer from if you get an actual XP install disc with the computer. If so then pay the 98 dollars and have them install it. Thats cheaper than buying an oem version of xp.

knudsen

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2006
If the media was not provided, most of the manufacturers will send you a disk for a nominal fee, some free. If that is the case, the license key should be stuck to the case and you should be able to borrow a disk from someone close and dear to you, then use your own key.

If xp was provided with the purchase of the last computer, it is most likely an OEM copy and not technically legal to move to a new PC. You can replace parts on you old PC. I would just replace all the parts except for a case screw :twisted: In this case you will probably have to call and explain to MS to get xp activated and the best answer to get what you want is that you just replaced your motherboard.

TRENDING THREADS