ploy

Distinguished
May 31, 2006
I recently transported my computer from my home back to college. At home, it was working fine, zero problems. I figured on the ride to school some cables might be jostled loose, but that's about it. When I got around to booting up here at school, XP loaded slowly, but I found out why when I saw a "Microsoft Desktop Update" was being automatically downloaded. After this was done, I restarted, but since then I haven't been able to get past the Windows loading screen. When started in safe mode, the driver that it stops at is mup.sys (it also says it is loading sptd.sys).

I've tried flashing my BIOS, removing the sound card, disabling the USB 2.0 controller, and unplugging/reconnecting all of my system's connections (all of these were solutions I have found online). I'm fresh out of ideas, so I figured I would come here and have better luck.

Windows XP SP2
ATI x800 Pro
SB Audigy 2 ZS
1 gig DDR400 RAM
AMD Athlon 64 3400+
Logitech G5 Mouse
PC Concepts Keyboard
Samsung 915N LCD Monitor
Asus K8V SE Deluxe Mobo

ploy

Distinguished
May 31, 2006
Yes, when I try, the Windows setup says that it can't detect any hard drives in my system (?!) and wont allow me to continue. In my BIOS, nothing is detected on the IDE channels, but in the boot device priority screen it shows the RAID array as a boot option.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Yes, when I try, the Windows setup says that it can't detect any hard drives in my system (?!) and wont allow me to continue. In my BIOS, nothing is detected on the IDE channels, but in the boot device priority screen it shows the RAID array as a boot option.

Had probelms getting into the forum the last several days. The only other suggestions I would have would be first, re-check your hard drive connections, I'm sure you 'resick of doing this. Second, check you hard drive BIOS settings. Third, get a Diagnostic/Repair file from your hard drive manufacturer and run it. If you have more than one hard drive, I'd disconnect all but the one with your OS on it until you solve the problem. Lastly, I suppose you could have a virus.