AMD to demonstrate Barcelona on April 23

epsilon84

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006
http://www.techreport.com/onearticle.x/12221

why does AMD decide on Tunisia?

"Hector, where do you want to demo Barcelona?"

"Wherever, give me a world map and I'll take a blind stab"

(Closes eyes, puts his finger in the middle of the Pacific Ocean)

"Ermmm... that won't do... I'll try again..."

(Closes eyes again, this time hoping to find land...)

"There! (Opens eyes)... errr... what... Tunisia?! Ahh, what the heck, Tunisia it is!"

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
After reading it look slike my prediction that AGena or Agena FX woul dbe used to demo R600 with the 790 chipset was correct. I would hope they will have FireGL chips also for pro users.

Maybe they are trying to get some of that nVidia movie business.

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
Before getting excited, consider the source of this info - Fudzilla aka Faud Abazovic from the Inquirer. This is the same guy who announced AMD was making a FX-76, then he posted that AMD cancelled it -sounds a little suspicious.

Also, the slide has the presentation information edited off the bottom, as well as, the AMD slides I've seen all use green text in the titles. Here's a slide from gOJDO's K-10 sticky for an example:

amdbarcelona13cn9.jpg

I'm not saying that this demonstration isn't going to happen (I hope it does - I would love to see what these chips can really do.), but also don't be suprised if something "mysteriously" happens to change the date/location of the demonstration.

Bluefinger

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
I doubt that that would happen, considering AMD's current situation with their finances and sales. To be honest, I think they need this presentation to go ahead in order to get back the confidence of their investors. I'm sure they've cooked up quite something in the forms of R600 and Barcelona, but as things are, they can't delay things anymore. Its pretty much an all or nothing situation for AMD, and they have a lot to lose if they mess up (such as their market share that they managed to claw from Intel during the Prescott days). I'm sure they won't go bust if they don't make it, but they would be left in a position where they won't be able to keep up with Intel for a while, and may be forced to sell some of their divisions (including the newly acquired ATI), even getting bought by some other company (though if it were IBM, then it could actually be for the better, but that's a big if).

Lastly, I think this may be more of a calculated move for AMD rather than the desperate actions they've taken to keep their finances together. Releasing a load of different products within a tight time frame seems too much like a planned move rather than an act of desperation, so overall it could be the turn of the tide for AMD if they pull it off.

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
I agree, AMD needs to show something soon - I'm just saying to take this particular demonstation information with the same grain of salt one takes with anything from the Inquirer (although, they are right some of the time).

I am curious as to why they're showing the Agena before the Barcelona (maybe to create demand for their new chipsets?).

Seems, however, that AMD could be hurt by showing something too soon. Given their current state, they need the cashflow - so they can't afford an "Osborne Effect" by showing something vastly superior and risk people wait for the new line and not buy the current.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
I agree, AMD needs to show something soon - I'm just saying to take this particular demonstation information with the same grain of salt one takes with anything from the Inquirer (although, they are right some of the time).

I am curious as to why they're showing the Agena before the Barcelona (maybe to create demand for their new chipsets?).

Seems, however, that AMD could be hurt by showing something too soon. Given their current state, they need the cashflow - so they can't afford an "Osborne Effect" by showing something vastly superior and risk people wait for the new line and not buy the current.

Except that the link is to The Tech Report and not The Inq.

Bluefinger

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Well... technically, they are keeping this presentation fairly close to the launch dates of their products, as a measure to reduce the "Osborne Effect". There's no easy way out of the situation their in, so they need to make some sacrifices in order to make the most of what they have. Concerning Agena, I think you may have the correct assumption. Create a demand for chipsets that support Agena, so then when it does come out, there's already a demand waiting for the processor. Thus they can sell a bucketload quickly so to get some return. Either way, its a calculated move that they are trying to set up in order to close those financial holes of theirs. But, on a positive note, it means AMD isn't sitting on its ass with the this, and I'm sure they are doing what they can in order to get back at Intel.

eregular

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
It is the first native Quad core each having 512KB of cache memory and 2MB of shared L3 cache. It supports Hypertransport 3, enhanced PowerNow marchitecture, AMD Virtualisation. The company also claims that it is a performance leader per watt.

Performance per watt leader!!! yes!!! GO AMDIZZEL

i'm stoked...i mean they'd be stupid to make a statement like that a few weeks before a demo...especially with all the C2D benchmarks ALL OVER THE FRAKIN PLACE!!

While many who frequent these forums would call amd stupid...i wouldn't i trust in their innovation(s) and well i always like rooting for the underdawg

~PeAcE~

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
actually africa is a growing computer market and part of their entry level 3rd world computer efforts.

Ive been to Tunisia. Aside from the fact its squeezed in between Algeria and Libya, 2 countries of questionable intent that the Tunisians dont get along with, the economy is, to say, pre industrial US. Armed military gaurds on every corner, each with a different make rifle including old bolt actions, each with different uniform items, no night life to speak of( I would say they roll up the carpet @ 7 PM, but there was no carpet to roll up in the first place) the persistant odor of rotting goat flesh, no plumbing to speak of and the sence of an underlying hatred of americans. One step above, say, Tehran. Great place to roll out anything. :roll:

WTF are they thinking? If AMD were going to introduce a new RPG round, Tunisia would make sence, but a CPU? Maybe someone told the Tunisians AMD CPUs were great for RPGs and the Tunisians thought they were going to get a look at new Rocket Propelled Grenade technology, instead of Role Playing Game technology, so they invited AMD.

bullaRh

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
WTF are they thinking? If AMD were going to introduce a new RPG round, Tunisia would make sence, but a CPU? Maybe someone told the Tunisians AMD CPUs were great for RPGs and the Tunisians thought they were going to get a look at new Rocket Propelled Grenade technology, instead of Role Playing Game technology, so they invited AMD.

:D haha now thats fun.

epsilon84

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006
actually africa is a growing computer market and part of their entry level 3rd world computer efforts.

Ive been to Tunisia. Aside from the fact its squeezed in between Algeria and Libya, 2 countries of questionable intent that the Tunisians dont get along with, the economy is, to say, pre industrial US. Armed military gaurds on every corner, each with a different make rifle including old bolt actions, each with different uniform items, no night life to speak of( I would say they roll up the carpet @ 7 PM, but there was no carpet to roll up in the first place) the persistant odor of rotting goat flesh, no plumbing to speak of and the sence of an underlying hatred of americans. One step above, say, Tehran. Great place to roll out anything. :roll:

LOL @ RPG comment. Perhaps they also see potential in the 'Fusion' project thinking it has something to do with nuclear weapons? :lol:

Hey, look on the bright side, at least it's not being launched in Iraq or something...

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006

LOL @ RPG comment. Hey, look on the bright side, at least it's not being launched in Iraq or something...

:wink: :lol: :lol:

boduke

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
And I still won't believe one iota of what they say until someone other than AMD (or Intel for that matter with regards to their upcoming parts) gets their hands on and does some actual real world, third party testing and benchmarking of these things.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
And I still won't believe one iota of what they say until someone other than AMD (or Intel for that matter with regards to their upcoming parts) gets their hands on and does some actual real world, third party testing and benchmarking of these things.

Since spud is no longer with us, I'll do it on his behalf.....Word

deathbybubba

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2006
I didn't even think about the current set of procs holding back r600 and that being the reason we have yet to see any real benchmarks or even more then a couple of pics floating around the internet