Sign in with
Your question

Helpp!! And, or, jk flip flop help!!

Last response: in Overclocking
April 11, 2007 1:49:22 AM

i need help on a school project. I always help people with hardware issuse and stuff so i m hoping i can have some helped returned to me. I have a project for school and i need to "design a decoder that takes four digital bits in. Then decodes them, and places a logical "1" on one of the 12 output wires.

i really dont know where to start, anyhelp will be appreciated please anyone?

More about : helpp flip flop

April 11, 2007 4:42:53 AM

omg thanks for your godly help everyone thanks, i ll remember that when your all crying about ur pc not posting.. thanks.. wow such godly real techinical help on this website, soj for everyone....
a b K Overclocking
April 11, 2007 5:23:04 AM

For that, you get no help from me.
Related resources
April 11, 2007 5:37:20 AM

Well considering you waited all of 3 hours before abusing the entire forum, I'm guessing you have exhauted this particular avenue of exploration.

Good luck with the project.
April 11, 2007 5:53:57 AM

i m sorry i was just frustrated by that damn project, i came up with something but i know its off.. can u please help :( 
April 11, 2007 5:59:48 AM

Umm...
OK, split your input lines in two, take one through an invertor, so you have the original and the inverted value of all inputs. Then just run the correct lines through 4AND elements (0000 would be all the inputs inverted through the 4AND).
April 11, 2007 6:03:48 AM

Quote:
Umm...
OK, split your input lines in two, take one through an invertor, so you have the original and the inverted value of all inputs. Then just run the correct lines through 4AND elements (0000 would be all the inputs inverted through the 4AND).

well it says 12 out put wires. Does that mean i ll need 12 outputs? meaning 12 and gates at the end each counting as 1 output??
April 11, 2007 6:06:54 AM

Yup, 12 AND gates, 4 inverters. Maybe there is a better solution for this, but this is the simplest one :) .
April 11, 2007 6:19:52 AM

So no matter the value of the input there must always be only one logical 1 out of all possible 12 output lines? eh... boring project... ask your teacher to rather use 555's, a speaker, capacitors and a few resistors to make a police siren...now thats something useful :) 
April 11, 2007 6:22:53 AM

Quote:
omg thanks for your godly help everyone thanks, i ll remember that when your all crying about ur pc not posting.. thanks.. wow such godly real techinical help on this website, soj for everyone....

Dang, you mean I might have to turn to people who actually attended their Digital Logic and English classes? What a godly shame.

If you need 12 outputs then there's something you're not sharing about this assignment. A 4-input decoder should have 16 outputs.
April 11, 2007 6:59:20 AM

Quote:

Dang, you mean I might have to turn to people who actually attended their Digital Logic and English classes? What a godly shame.

If you need 12 outputs then there's something you're not sharing about this assignment. A 4-input decoder should have 16 outputs.

well before you start throwing insults, i m sorry you have years of education on top of mine. doesn't mean much to me or anyone else in the world. Cause no one honestly gives a crap what you know pal. So suck a fat one. and secondly yes 12 out puts so stfu thanks.
April 11, 2007 7:02:13 AM

Quote:
Yup, 12 AND gates, 4 inverters. Maybe there is a better solution for this, but this is the simplest one :) .

i wasnt to sure about how to connect them. i would try to explain it but i think it would sound strange. o well i ll try it anyways. well never mind i wont. But i think i got a close enough answer to at least slide by with a 70. Works for me thanks guys.
April 11, 2007 7:30:27 AM

Quote:
Cause no one honestly gives a crap what you know pal.

Oh? Well, I know how to construct binary line decoders. It seems you give a crap about that. Why would you ask a question in a public forum if you don't give a crap about someone who knows the answer answering the question? Although barely a crap; it must be nice to be satisfied with "sliding by" at what is probably a D grade.

Quote:
and secondly yes 12 out puts so stfu thanks.

Okay, so does the assignment specify which 12 of the 16 possible input combinations you are supposed to use? Or are you just supposed to pick whichever 12 you like?
April 11, 2007 7:48:34 AM

Logic systems? What exactly are you studying?
April 11, 2007 7:59:23 AM

wahah...must be a technical school :) 

decoders are so....boring...
April 11, 2007 8:24:45 AM

Quote:
i need help on a school project. I always help people with hardware issuse and stuff so i m hoping i can have some helped returned to me. I have a project for school and i need to "design a decoder that takes four digital bits in. Then decodes them, and places a logical "1" on one of the 12 output wires.

i really dont know where to start, anyhelp will be appreciated please anyone?

I need more info than just "decodes and then places a 1". Give me your entire condundrum, an we'll see what we can do.
April 11, 2007 3:49:51 PM

rqsquared all i have to say to you is blah blah blah. You know what i hate when someone says "oh your grammer sucks". You know what my grammer doesnt suck. I passed English in college and highschool with flying colors. I chose to be more of a casual writer while i m online. Normally not giving a shit about my grammer since i am far more concerned about other things. Things like getting liad, getting paid, getting school work done and grammer on a forum is by far at the bottom of my list of importance. By the way I handed it in and i got a 80. I am satisfied. This site rocks thank you everyone for your help. Some say the help on this site isn't there anymore. I now disagree, there is great help on this site. :p 
April 11, 2007 4:20:34 PM

EDIT2: Missed the boat. Dang. Glad you got an 80.

The decoder will have to use this logic:

0000 = 1 ABCD
0001 = 2 ABCD*
0010 = 3 ABC*D
0011 = 4 ABC*D*

You'll have to start a logic table like this kind.

Look at logic Diagram and Truth Table here...

http://www.eleinmec.com/datasheets/ds_sgsthompson_4514_...

Hope this helps.

If not tell me what else you need.

Regards,
Howard

*= "with bar over"

EDIT: removed excess info
April 11, 2007 4:55:02 PM

Right on dude. Congrats on your passing grade.
April 12, 2007 7:52:33 AM

Your spelling and grammar is not the best I've read, but I will say that it is a vast improvement over that 1337 crap where they blend letters and numbers randomly into some whole sort of general mish mash, and then act as if it makes them some kind of intellectual elite.

Don't pay attention to the pedants up here, they clearly have nothing better to do than pick at something which is completely irrelevant.
!