MPEGs and AVI's triggering Data Execution Prevention

Canadian_Dude

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
I'm trying to edit together a bunch of old family home movies. They were tranferred from the Camcorder to disc with a DVD Recorder (the type you hook up to a TV). The problem came when I tried to get it to my computer. I read that .vob files are essentially identical to .mpegs, and you can rename them as such to view them.
It worked, however for some reason when I do they trigger the Data Execution Prevention feature of Windows/my processor, and close Windows Explorer. After converted it triggers it even when just selecting the files (not opening them).
I somehow managed to get them into Pinnacle Studio 9, and tried to put a couple scenes to a file. I tried rendering them in .avi and various .mpegs, and those files give the same errors. However uncompressed video doesn't.
Considering the source, there is a 0% chance of those files containing malicious code, so what gives?

My specs if it helps:

AMD Athlon 3700+ San Diego at stock speeds
1 GB of Ram
BFG 7800GT OC
Running XP Service Pack 2

Spyware scan with AdAware and Spybot shows clean.

Canadian_Dude

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
It's not just the video files now. I downloaded the Call of Juarez MP demo, and I got the same crap when I tried to run it (Data Execution Prevention blocked the game engine).

Canadian_Dude

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
I have. Trend Micro Housecall turned up a negative for viruses. I also did a Memory Diagnostic, and everything is fine.
I am using the latest video card drivers. Funny thing about the Chipset drivers though. My BIOS says it's version 2.58, yet the highest that is available on the manufacturers website is 2.20, and that was released in June (Well after I bought mine: ASRock 939 DualSATA2).
I highly doubt it's codecs. as I have never to my knowledge installed any, so it should be all microsofts still.
The problems mentioned aren't my only ones though. I forgot to mention for the past couple months I've been getting random restarts and program freezes. It's not a spyware or virus because it persists through several formats. I don't think it's heat, as I've never seen any heat problems when checking GPU and CPU temperatures. My case is an Antec Sontata 2, and they;re supposed to be excellent for heat management.
I know I can disable DEP, but I'd really rather not.

I have a similar problem with videos I have downloaded... most of them are either DivX or Xvid format... as soon as I select them, Explorer crashes. This is with and without DEP enabled. It's more of an annoyance than anything else, but I would like to know how to resolve it.

If I open the video in WMP 11, I can select and watch the video with no glitches at all. I tried the same files in Vista, and there was no problems at all there... I could select the files without crashing explorer... so there's gotta be something with XP and these types of video files...

evecadu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2006
Check your IDE cables if you have an IDE hard disk, some time ago my computer used to crash a lot then I found out that the IDE cable was damaged somehow so try that maybe u wont have those DEP errors

uw_photographer

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2007
I have stumbled on this thread some time later...

I have exactly the same symptoms on my laptop.
No viruses.

Have Studio 9 (patched up to last version).
Must confess to lots of wild stabs in the dark whilst trying to work out to convert dvds to files for my media player, so have probably messed up the video codecs.

Want to try the advice of removing studio and codecs.
Removing studio is well within my capabilities, but how do I remove the codecs?

I have powerdvd, quicktime player and windows media player 11 on XP Pro SP2

Any help gratefully recieved
Charles

Squash

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2008
Well, if it's of any help, I stumbled upon that same message and after having read this thread decided to delete pinnacle 9.3.
I havent seen that error massage since then.

G

i came across this forum while running a search for the same error, when tryong to open any folder containing a downloaded divx video, all different one's, this error is new, as in only occuring as of the last few days. after reading through the other comments, i thought about the only changes i have made on my pc, and the only thing i can come up with is the installation of avs video software.

chrisanthony

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
I have always had this problem. whatever the source of my avi or mpeg files. DEP closed explorer. can i cause a disaster if i disable DEP and can i do this for Explorer only?

leonrw

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
i'm having the same problem myself - with certain xvid avi files. DEP, then windows explorer crashes, and then sometimes even this weird Dr. Watson Post Mortem Debugger. any help guys?

transkript

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
I have exactly the same problem and I've had the problem ever since I got the new AMD 64 machine. There seems to be some mismatch between Win XP and AMD 64 chips. I seem to have read that somewhere on the microsoft website..