Sign in with
Your question

Digitimes: Google may be returning to Intel server platform

Last response: in CPUs
April 11, 2007 4:49:29 AM

Quote:

According to sources at motherboard makers, Intel recently landed a deal with search engine giant Google to supply CPUs for about 300,000-400,000 servers for Google,

Quote:

The sources did note that it may be difficult for AMD to win back the orders once it releases its Barcelona processor lineup later this year, as Intel plans to announce its own price cuts right after the launch.

will comment on it later...

Link
April 11, 2007 5:04:34 AM

WIth Google having purchased more Intenet real estate(You Tube, etc) it isn't a surprise that they could "spread the wealth."

I doubt that AMD infrastructure will be removed, just as Intel infrastructure wasn't just removed. This kind of incentive is hard to pass up but I think that K10 will live up to its claims and AMD will win Q3-Q4 orders especially since K10 can be used as a drop in to Opteron.
April 11, 2007 5:11:13 AM

Of course, all their Socket F platforms they already own could be upgraded easily to K10. Not sure how many that is, though.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
April 11, 2007 5:16:00 AM

Quote:
Of course, all their Socket F platforms they already own could be upgraded easily to K10. Not sure how many that is, though.

There were "stories" of more than 200,000 bought from Rackable Systems when the "big deal" was announced. I believe that there were other subsequent orders.
April 11, 2007 5:23:15 AM

Imagine the man hours it would take to replace that many CPUs, though.
April 11, 2007 5:28:52 AM

Quote:

So you're saying it's cheaper to just replace the entire server? I don't think you're saying that but...

The value of upgrading to quad core on exactly same unit is very attractive.
April 11, 2007 5:32:18 AM

Quote:

So you're saying it's cheaper to just replace the entire server? I don't think you're saying that but...

The value of upgrading to quad core on exactly same unit is very attractive.

Yeah, I'm certainly not saying it would be cheaper to install new servers. That would require more time, probably, and clearly not be cost effective. I was just making an observation :) 
April 11, 2007 6:19:29 AM

And after upgrade to Brselona, where would the old Opterons go? Would they sell them somehow?
April 11, 2007 7:10:43 AM

dunno... maybe they would go through and bend all the pins and send them back to amd and ask for a refund saying they came like that... hold on, socket f doesn't have pins, nvm
April 11, 2007 7:23:01 AM

Quote:
drugs are bad!!
It's not drugs that are bad....it's what the people who do them, say and do that's bad. 8)
April 11, 2007 7:27:04 AM

Damn, another 400,000 servers. 8O

Think what it would be like to be a network admin for google. 8O 8O 8O
April 11, 2007 7:32:16 AM

Quote:
Damn, another 400,000 servers. 8O

Think what it would be like to be a network admin for google. 8O 8O 8O
Me thinks there's many. :wink:
April 11, 2007 7:46:42 AM

That's why I said "a" and not "the".

I mean, of course there's more then one, since keeping all those servers in one place would be insane, and flying a single admin from one location to another constanly would be out of the question. But still, each admin must be in charge of a crap load of computers.

Gmail Notifier just, well, notified me of a new email. A microsoft newsletter. I've been getting them forever, but I dont remember ever signing up... Just thought I'd share that.
April 11, 2007 7:57:39 AM

Quote:
That's why I said "a" and not "the".

I mean, of course there's more then one, since keeping all those servers in one place would be insane, and flying a single admin from one location to another constanly would be out of the question. But still, each admin must be in charge of a crap load of computers.

Gmail Notifier just, well, notified me of a new email. A microsoft newsletter. I've been getting them forever, but I dont remember ever signing up... Just thought I'd share that.
I know, i was just being silly. :wink: I'm sure they have tons of employees, and they probably make pretty decent money. It's hard to phathom how many servers they have, it must be awe-inspiring to walk into one of their server farms. :o  That would be more interesting to me, than a trip to a museum. :oops:  :D  :oops:  :D 
April 11, 2007 7:59:04 AM

Quote:
thats a large number. :(  AMD should have kept the right ball rolling.
You mean the left one's rolling? :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
April 11, 2007 1:41:09 PM

Quote:

According to sources at motherboard makers, Intel recently landed a deal with search engine giant Google to supply CPUs for about 300,000-400,000 servers for Google,

Quote:

The sources did note that it may be difficult for AMD to win back the orders once it releases its Barcelona processor lineup later this year, as Intel plans to announce its own price cuts right after the launch.

will comment on it later...

Link

There is an excellent reason for Google to go with Intel: Significantly lower power consumption on current offerings.

Power is a data centres primary running cost. Thats why Google is building data centres in the middle of nowhere just to get cheap power.
April 11, 2007 1:50:14 PM

Quote:
There is an excellent reason for Google to go with Intel: Significantly lower power consumption on current offerings.

Power is a data centres primary running cost. Thats why Google is building data centres in the middle of nowhere just to get cheap power.

Exactly. Even if one (AMD or Intel) were initially cheaper, with that many servers they would obviously have to take into consideration the operational costs of the servers over their lifetime. If you expect these things to live for 3 years then even a 5% hike in power consumption each would mean significant costs over time, dwarfing the initial savings.
April 13, 2007 3:43:33 PM

sorry if someone has allready mensioned this but would it be an xeon based unit or the dying itium - i presume the first.

and there is no doubt that woodcrest (especially) and clovertown are outstanding chip you cant keep waiting for the next thing
April 13, 2007 4:20:22 PM

Quote:

Google doesn't care about chip cost, as it is a fraction of the power and cooling cost. If Barcelona comes in with a lwoer power usuage and cooling requirement when processing power is taken into account Google will switch right back.

Most of the industry has begun to realize that saving 50 bucks on a processor is worthless if your going to have to spend significantly more on cooling over the lifetime of the chip.
!