BruceMyers48

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2001
I have a friend that records his gospel songs on a system with a tape and CD player. He then plugs a cable from it to the creative sound card"creative Live" line in to listen to it on his PC. He was using Creative sound recorder but has had some problem with it. Can any one suggest a simple sound recording program, that he can record his music, from his out side sound source to his hard drive. He wants to be able to hear it while it is recording so he can edit it. Thanks

tekbro

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2004
Ahh....how about Audacity?

I use it at my church to record our semons (mastered on Audio Cassette-YES, I said cassette) :lol: to my hard drive at home. In my setup, I run a 1/4 stereo phono plug from the "phones" on my tape deck to the "line in" of my sound card. I load Audacity, hit record and then play the tape real time. All the while you can see the input in either time or frequency domain.
Anyway, this makes one huge .aup file which you can then edit and then export as an mp3 or WAV. I use WAVs to burn them to CD.

I suspect that you could capture the input from live instruments/mics, if you had a mixer and the right cord/jack or one of those analog to USB interfaces. I guess you wouldn't necessarily need a mixer either, but you loose the ability to mix down the individual channels.

I have a friend that records his gospel songs on a system with a tape and CD player. He then plugs a cable from it to the creative sound card"creative Live" line in to listen to it on his PC. He was using Creative sound recorder but has had some problem with it. Can any one suggest a simple sound recording program, that he can record his music, from his out side sound source to his hard drive. He wants to be able to hear it while it is recording so he can edit it. Thanks

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
uhh.....How 'bout "Sound Recorder"? You know, that little utility included for free inside Windows operating systems since Windows 95? That oughta do it. windows XP's version even allows you to transcode the resulting .wav file into MP3, hence no third party programs are even necessary.

tekbro

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2004
Yep. That's why I choose Audacity. It's FREE. And the learning curve was about 30 minutes: 29 minutes longer than it took me to reject Windows' built in recorder for my purposes. :lol: