IS THIS A GOOD NETWORK SETUP?

DarkMarc

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2006
Hi, I am a novice in networking, but have done quite a bit of research about network hardware and I would just like to hear some opinions from some network enthusiasts.
I have just signed up to AAPT 512kbps adsl broadband which comes with a free alcatel/thomson speedtouch 536, however I also have another computer at the other end of the house which I want to connect wirelessly, so I am looking to buy a Billion 7300G wireless modem/router to connect to my computer through ethernet, and to the kitchens' computer (which is down a hallway at the other end of the house, around 10 metres away) with a Netgear WG111 WiFi USB dongle. I have chosen the USB dongle as opposed to the PCI card because the computer is pretty old and has a motherboard with an intel 440BX chipset which doesn't support PCI 2.2. The problem is that that computer also has USB 1.1 so it will only be connected at 12Mbps at best (which is good enough for the internet connection which will be 512kbps).
From what I can gather with very limited hardware reviews the Billion modem/router and the Netgear USB dongle should work well. Can anyone see any issues with this setup, or have any alternative suggestions? I would appreciate any comments at all.

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
I'm not familiar with your equipment, but you describe the Billion device as a modem/router. Will it be replacing your Thompson modem?