generic host process error messages

I'm new to this so hope it all goes right and I can post.
When I start up my pc I get the message Generic host process has encountered
a problem and needs to close it give the time and day that it is happening.
I'm using Dell 4300 home edition xp.
I noticed an earlier person was having the same problem and wonder if it
ever got solved. I used Norton antivirus and all is up to date. I also use
Ad-Aware Se with all its updated and run spybot search and destroy quite
often.
I've used 4or5 on line free scans such as housecall , panda active scam,
symantec, and some others and no viruses are detected. I've run the Klez
removal tool just incase it might be on my computer . It says no infection.
My pc is running rather slow Is there someone that can help me with this
problem as I have exhausted all my efforts.
Any help would thrill me to death THANKS
7 answers Last reply
More about generic host process error messages

    Hi Joyce,

    Redo everything you just did, except do it in Safe mode. In normal mode,
    many of the malware processes can mask themselves from detection. The error
    at boot is very likely due to a spy or ad program installed on the system,
    and in addition to Adaware also run a full scan with Spybot
    (www.safer-networking.org).

    How to start in Safe mode:
    http://www.rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Safe%20mode

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "joyce sampsell" <jesampsell@lisco.com> wrote in message
    > I'm new to this so hope it all goes right and I can post.
    > When I start up my pc I get the message Generic host process has
    > encountered a problem and needs to close it give the time and day that it
    > is happening.
    > I'm using Dell 4300 home edition xp.
    > I noticed an earlier person was having the same problem and wonder if it
    > ever got solved. I used Norton antivirus and all is up to date. I also use
    > Ad-Aware Se with all its updated and run spybot search and destroy quite
    > often.
    > I've used 4or5 on line free scans such as housecall , panda active scam,
    > symantec, and some others and no viruses are detected. I've run the Klez
    > removal tool just incase it might be on my computer . It says no
    > infection. My pc is running rather slow Is there someone that can help me
    > with this problem as I have exhausted all my efforts.
    > Any help would thrill me to death THANKS

    Joyce:

    I have been working with several experts from this site & with Dell support
    and have tried all kinds of suggested things but still have same problem.
    Since this is just an anoyance and affecting operation I have decided to live
    with it til Microsoft comes out with a fix. It seems this problem started to
    occur after an update a couple months back. My system may go up to a dozen
    bootups before I get this error. About the time I have it fixed, it again
    occurs. Unless someone has a proven fix, I suggest you just live with it and
    save the hassel.

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote

    > How to start in Safe mode:

    This instruction seems to relate to solving another problem in safe mode,
    rather than the one Joyce and I have. Specifically, it doesn't say how to
    run Spybot. Could you give more guidance (No way am I qualified to frig with
    my registry).

    Hi Dave,

    Those are instructions on how to access safe mode, as many users do not know
    how. You should download and install Spybot first, then update it. Then
    restart in safe mode per the instructions and run the program (it will be in
    the start menu by this point).

    --

    "Roy S" <RoyS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

    > I have been working with several experts from this site & with Dell
    > support
    > and have tried all kinds of suggested things but still have same problem.
    > Since this is just an anoyance and affecting operation I have decided to
    > live
    > with it til Microsoft comes out with a fix. It seems this problem started
    > occur after an update a couple months back. My system may go up to a dozen
    > bootups before I get this error. About the time I have it fixed, it again
    > occurs. Unless someone has a proven fix, I suggest you just live with it
    > and
    > save the hassel.

    That's exactly what's been happening to me. Comes and goes. Looks like Bill
    and the gang have laid another egg. Oh, well...

    Go to add/remove programs, click on 'show updates', and remove the February
    windows update KB873333. You may have to uninstall the other Feb updates as
    well, and some restarts may be required. Then apply all the updates again
    without kb873333. This will fix the problem, and microsoft will eventually
    offer a fix for kb873333.

    Hope this helps.
    Ronaldo

    "Dave Gower" wrote:

    > "Roy S" <RoyS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    > >
    > > I have been working with several experts from this site & with Dell
    > > support
    > > and have tried all kinds of suggested things but still have same problem.
    > > Since this is just an anoyance and affecting operation I have decided to
    > > live
    > > with it til Microsoft comes out with a fix. It seems this problem started
    > > occur after an update a couple months back. My system may go up to a dozen
    > > bootups before I get this error. About the time I have it fixed, it again
    > > occurs. Unless someone has a proven fix, I suggest you just live with it
    > > and
    > > save the hassel.
    >
    > That's exactly what's been happening to me. Comes and goes. Looks like Bill
    > and the gang have laid another egg. Oh, well...

    Thanks Renaldo. I have tried several different things and cleaned out some
    temp files in my local setting folder and haven't had a reoccurance in
    several days, but that doesn't mean anything yet, although is encouraging. If
    I get a reocurrance I'll try your fix.

    "Ronaldo" wrote:

    > Go to add/remove programs, click on 'show updates', and remove the February
    > windows update KB873333. You may have to uninstall the other Feb updates as
    > well, and some restarts may be required. Then apply all the updates again
    > without kb873333. This will fix the problem, and microsoft will eventually
    > offer a fix for kb873333.
    >
    > Hope this helps.
    > Ronaldo
    >

    > "Dave Gower" wrote:
    >

    > > "Roy S" <RoyS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    > > >
    > > > I have been working with several experts from this site & with Dell
    > > > support
    > > > and have tried all kinds of suggested things but still have same problem.
    > > > Since this is just an anoyance and affecting operation I have decided to
    > > > live
    > > > with it til Microsoft comes out with a fix. It seems this problem started
    > > > occur after an update a couple months back. My system may go up to a dozen
    > > > bootups before I get this error. About the time I have it fixed, it again
    > > > occurs. Unless someone has a proven fix, I suggest you just live with it
    > > > and
    > > > save the hassel.
    > >
    > > That's exactly what's been happening to me. Comes and goes. Looks like Bill
    > > and the gang have laid another egg. Oh, well...

Windows XP