A Ray of Hope for AMD - Dells wants to buy ALL R6xx cards

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
If true, what do you guys think the capacity constraint will be? How will this affect other OEM and Retail availability? What kind of margins will AMD get from Dell??

Not sure if the source is Dell or AMD... makes a big difference.

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=38836

It sounds very good. They mentioned the RV610 specifically, which is the low end part. They also say that R650 is the 65nm part and that R600 will not be made that long.

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Also, the article mentions AMD shipping 100 million units by the end of 2007... 8O 8O

I believe that the likelihood of AMD shipping an average of 12 million units per month for the rest of this calendar year roughly equivalent to the chances of my being cast as the romantic lead in the next Angelina Jolie movie. :lol:

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
Also, the article mentions AMD shipping 100 million units by the end of 2007... 8O 8O

I believe that the likelihood of AMD shipping an average of 12 million units per month for the rest of this calendar year roughly equivalent to the chances of my being cast as the romantic lead in the next Angelina Jolie movie. :lol:

They can ship all they want, but sell remains to be seen :p , and keep dreaming... :D

sailer

Splendid

I suspect that AMD has a better chance than you do, but who knows? Maybe you will be "discovered" and made into the consort of a star. As for the Inq's information, if true, we should all be buying up every share of AMD stock that we can find, what with the predicted sales of R600 series cards and teh cpu business as well. But I think this is still much in the dreamland area.

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
But I think this is still much in the dreamland area.

Hey, if Hector can dream of selling 3M cards a week, I can dream of shooting a nude scene with Angelina! I'm not a pessimist like you guys, thus I believe that they're both equally likely! :lol:

LAN_deRf_HA

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
I certainly hope its true. Wonder if Dell could save some money by using R600s audio instead of onboard sound... figure what, save them 5 bucks per rig?

piesquared

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
If true, what do you guys think the capacity constraint will be? How will this affect other OEM and Retail availability? What kind of margins will AMD get from Dell??

I'd say the margins will be significantly better as Dell won't be able to strongarm the prices on these parts. Looks like the R6xx are going to be in very high demand, and if Dell wants to play ball they're going to have to pay a realistic price. ATI is a pretty well recognized brand name so maybe AMD can finally catch a break.

Stealth_JAG

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
Having read many posts on this site over the last several months, I get the distinct feeling the Inquirer is a filthy rag of yellow journalism. So I understand that everything the Inquirer reports has to be received with great sketicisim. What I don't know, however, is whether they have a decided pro-AMD bent. Its one thing to report inaccurate information, and distribute the lies evenly among everybody during your wreckless regard for journalism standards. Its another thing if you are purposely dishonest with an agenda. That article used more glowing adjectives when referring to AMD and R600 than AMD/ATI's most aggressive marketing people would. Does anybody know if Inquirer has a history of kissing up to AMD?

BTW - I don't have any problem with AMD or ATI. In fact, I hope they release the R600 (and it performs well) before I finish my current build.

Rob

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
I'd love to see dirt cheap and even integrated DX10. However, there's a little matter of a minor company called NVidia... :D

I really feel like AMD is going to hold the graphics crown over Nvidia for a while from late May until...whatever the next big round is. May is when the high-end GDDR4 cards are expected to hit the market. There are only three G80 models in circulation, and there are price points to fill. AMD plans on launching at about four points (I believe), and it should be a good product (but only benchmarks will tell....).

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006

:lol: The funny thing here is that we've come to take the INQ quite seriously; good for them.
As for AMD; it's not just a ray man, only having 'friends' like IBM and Dell is more than that. They just have to get over their depression phase, just like Intel did.

Ycon

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
If AMD does not manage to sell 100 million cards, a big, mean boulder shall fall upon me.

Oh noes, Im hit! Im hit hard! Such a PAIN!

TSIMonster

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
the quick r600 to r650 transition has gotten me slightly worried. It will likely discourage many from jumping the gun on r600. However, I imagine it may be like the x1900xt to the x1950pro? perhaps.... shall be interesting, surely.

Chas

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2004
As for AMD; it's not just a ray man, only having 'friends' like IBM and Dell is more than that. They just have to get over their depression phase, just like Intel did.
Well, if your 'friends' are IBM and Dell, you'd be advised to have somebody "watching your six." IBM and Dell are 'friends' to IBM and Dell, respectively. Not saying that's bad; just that IBM is looking out for IBM and Dell is looking out for Dell. If AMD were to bet it's future on having those two for friends, they'd just as well add Microsoft to the mix. Everyone knows what a good 'friend' they are! :twisted:

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
100M :lol:

It took Apple almost seven years to sell 100M iPods. Now Hector's gonna turn around and sell 100M R6xx cards in just over seven months?

Is there some kind of random-writing computer program that is spewing out this endless stream of AMDelusions? :lol:

xaat_kil

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
I hope Dell doesn't buy them all up - it'd be foolish to put all those eggs into one basket, as there are alot of people who've been waiting for the R6xx release who aren't going to buy a Dell to get one. Being Dell, however, I'd suspect that most will be low to medium end GPUs. I hope performance is the reason for the demand,and not fire-sale pricing to get customers. AMD and it's shareholders need some good news for confidence if not dividends.

sirkillalot

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
just a thought, but i wonder if dell is trying to cover there azz with amd because of that intel story ...": Intel paid Dell up to $1 billion a year not to use AMD chips
http://money.cnn.com/blogs/legalpad/2007/02/suit-intel-paid-dell-up-to-1-billion_15.html "
so now before they find any info on dell and intel screwing them, dell is trying to help amd out to make up .
like i said its just a thought..... immm

man if they find the info that intel lost for the lawsuit its going to be payday for AMD.
isnt it funny that intel lost all those emails amd needs to sue there azz.
doh :(

T800-101

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
100M :lol:

It took Apple almost seven years to sell 100M iPods. Now Hector's gonna turn around and sell 100M R6xx cards in just over seven months?

The volume of the two parts in question are in a completely different market segment and have completely different price points. The Inq numbers are probably exaggerated however.

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
The volume of the two parts in question are in a completely different market segment and have completely different price points. The Inq numbers are probably exaggerated however.

Well, whaddya expect when you compare Apples with Lemons? :lol:

Yeah, the Inq is the Inq is the Inq. What can you say about them? They're like the little girl with the little curl. When they're good, they're very very good, but when they're bad, they're horrible. Still, there is no 8 month period in Dell's history when they have sold 100M computers! Where are all these cards going to go?

T800-101

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
Worldwide PC shipments are about 240 million I believe. What is Dell, a bit under 18% of the market? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I think that's about right.