Sign in with
Your question

Sun: 16 core server behemoth CPU

Last response: in CPUs
April 11, 2007 2:49:04 PM

We can't even fill the 4 cores yet. :)  I'm still not sure why Sun is sticking with their SPARC processors. I believe IBM and Sun are the last ones to continue building their own processors for their systems.
April 11, 2007 2:54:23 PM

Sparc rules Belvdr.
Ever use a Sun workstation? I used to use the Sun graphics workstations back in the day... all purple and proprietary.... I would buy another one if I could afford it.
Related resources
April 11, 2007 3:04:45 PM

Quote:
I'm still not sure why Sun is sticking with their SPARC processors.

Consumer and HPC/business computing are two different worlds.
April 11, 2007 6:08:31 PM

Quote:
We can't even fill the 4 cores yet. :)  I'm still not sure why Sun is sticking with their SPARC processors. I believe IBM and Sun are the last ones to continue building their own processors for their systems.

Sun have had quad core machines out for quite some time and has had little problem putting them all to good use.
April 11, 2007 6:23:25 PM

Quote:
What he did share, however, is that Rock will allow systems supporting 256 terabytes of RAM in a single software domain

Can anybody think of a reason why you would need 256 tb of ram in a server? Imagine the size of mobo you would need for all that ram. 8O
April 11, 2007 7:56:17 PM

Quote:
What he did share, however, is that Rock will allow systems supporting 256 terabytes of RAM in a single software domain

Can anybody think of a reason why you would need 256 tb of ram in a server? Imagine the size of mobo you would need for all that ram. 8O

NSA uses a super Google with all the worlds information in it.
April 11, 2007 8:07:20 PM

Quote:
Sparc rules Belvdr.
Ever use a Sun workstation? I used to use the Sun graphics workstations back in the day... all purple and proprietary.... I would buy another one if I could afford it.

I have a sun blade(yes, I know it is not very new or high end) on my desk, as well as a sun dual core opteron that is in the process of being put on the network. We have solaris and linux process servers. Sun is behind in the land of processors, but their OS is really stable, which has value. I would be inclined to say that Sun is doing the right thing in making processors for those want a very capable server and aren't worried about cost. They can't afford to be just matching the latest x86, they need to exceed it no matter the cost. Most of their decline was due to their processors falling below the performance of the x86. They need to jump ahead with a monolithic die like this.
April 12, 2007 8:17:15 PM

Quote:

You wouldn't have all the memory on a single motherboard - it would either be on separate memory boards or on separate CPU/memory boards.

If you look at things like E10Ks, E12Ks, E15ks etc. and see how big they are in terms of the footprint the machine takes up, having 256TB of RAM doesn't sound that far fetched.
April 13, 2007 12:04:32 AM

yeah, plus, they have ram banks, like riser boards commign up off the motherboard anf the ram goes in at an angle, you can fit about 96gb of ram in the same amount of space as an 8800gtx when they do it that way...
April 13, 2007 1:16:09 AM

Quote:
Sparc rules Belvdr.

That's like saying AMD rules, Solaris rules, or even Linux rules. I just don't think any one item rules in general. Each has its place.

I've used Sun extensively for Domino servers, Firewall-1/VPN-1, and backup systems. They were the best back in the day, but in my eyes, I don't see the extra expense for most applications. Additionally, Sun knew Sparc was losing its flame in some markets, and that's when they brought in AMD. I still like Solaris better than other Unix operating systems. I got peeved when I couldn't get Solaris 10 to patch on my x86 hardware. The Sun tech support folks threw me back and forth and I never got an answer. That was the final straw for me.

Quote:
Consumer and HPC/business computing are two different worlds.

I wasn't speaking for consumer hardware and not sure why you thought I was. :)  Sun really has no place in consumer-land, except in rare cases.
April 13, 2007 6:29:23 AM

Quote:
yeah, plus, they have ram banks, like riser boards commign up off the motherboard anf the ram goes in at an angle, you can fit about 96gb of ram in the same amount of space as an 8800gtx when they do it that way...

Sounds like an Ultra 80, 420R, or a Netra T1400/1405. They all had the little memory riser cards that go into the system board.
!