Sign in with
Your question

Case Recommendations

Last response: in Components
April 11, 2007 3:48:50 PM

I have decided to build my next PC and it will be my first time. I've been browsing different hardware and the case has been one of the more difficult pieces to select for me.

I'm not a big fan of all the LED-laden flashy ones. I was considering the antec p180, however it looks like that is a really huge case. For something that is being billed as a "mid-tower", it almost seems to be the size of the full towers' specs that I've looked it.

I am hoping to find something that has decent air cooling capability and will be able to accomodate an ATX motherboard and an Nvidia 8800gtx.
It would also be preferable for the case to be on par with the dimensions of my current dell dimension 8300 case which is about 16.5'' tall, 16.25'' deep, and 7.5'' across.

Anybody have any suggestions that would work?

More about : case recommendations

April 11, 2007 4:17:28 PM

Quote:
I have decided to build my next PC and it will be my first time. I've been browsing different hardware and the case has been one of the more difficult pieces to select for me.

I'm not a big fan of all the LED-laden flashy ones. I was considering the antec p180, however it looks like that is a really huge case. For something that is being billed as a "mid-tower", it almost seems to be the size of the full towers' specs that I've looked it.

I am hoping to find something that has decent air cooling capability and will be able to accomodate an ATX motherboard and an Nvidia 8800gtx.
It would also be preferable for the case to be on par with the dimensions of my current dell dimension 8300 case which is about 16.5'' tall, 16.25'' deep, and 7.5'' across.

The Antec Nine Hundred has great cooling. If you aren't OC'ing, all the fans turned on low should keep it really quite. Only problem is 3 of the fans in it have blue LED's...
April 11, 2007 4:23:00 PM

Iv built a few computers with Kingwin cases. I really like them. No sharp edges and pretty quiet good airflow. I think you can get some without light too. You just have to look around.
Related resources
April 11, 2007 4:24:53 PM

Quote:

The Antec Nine Hundred has great cooling. If you aren't OC'ing, all the fans turned on low should keep it really quite. Only problem is 3 of the fans in it have blue LED's...

The 900 would be a great bet.
April 11, 2007 4:36:03 PM

The Antec Sonata II is a plain, quiet case. A couple inches deeper and 1/2" wider than yours. I have one and it is the quietest case of the bunch(Antec P180, couple Antec SL series cases and the Sonatta II)

Dave
April 11, 2007 4:47:09 PM

Don't discount the P180 too quickly.

Many reviews say it doesn't get any cooler than the P180.

Good look at the inner workings and temp readings in different configurations:
http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=1044&pageID=3043

Another good look:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article249-page1.html

A look at the changes since it was first released along with actual db readings and sound bytes:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article255-page1.html

Yes, the P180 is the width of your hand taller than you asked for, and it is a heavy case compared to some others, but if you want a case that cools better than virtually everything else on the market with stock cooling, and you want quiet, the P180 is the case you want.

I have both a Sonata II (my htpc) and a P180 (my gaming PC). The P180 cools better than the Sonata II and the noise level difference is inaudible at 1 meter.

[Edit: for spelling and grammar]
April 11, 2007 5:09:53 PM

And of course anything from Lian-Li will be excellent quality...
April 11, 2007 5:24:09 PM

I don't remember my Antec model number at the moment, but mine is huge -- 23.5 inches tall. It is built like a Mack truck and it is one very fine piece of equipment. I have never regretted buying it. If I were looking for a case right now, I think the P180 would suit me just fine.

Mine came with a power supply which I need to replace simply because I've added too many things and the 230 W supply that was considered adequate in those days is not adequate now.

Other than that, I love it.

Since the P180 does not include a PSU, you'd get your choice. It's a big case and it will last you a long time --- maybe three or four future mobos. Get a good healthy PSU and you'll be in tall cotton!

Have fun!
!