Athlon64 X2 5600 vs Core2Duo E6400

samjhudson

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2007
Ok guys, just wondering if any of you more knowledgeable folks can help me out with a dilemma?

The X2 5600 is currently about £25 ($50) cheaper than the E6400, and according to the benchmark test on this site outperforms it as well. Just wondering what you guys think, because I’ve read a lot recently on Intel supremacy. Bear in mind the 2 most important things to me in my new PC are going to be 1) Gaming and 2) upgrade potential. I’m going to be rounding the system out with a fairly decent graphics card, probably a 8800GTS 320mb and 2 gig of decent RAM.

Thanks in advance guys!
Sam

jamesgoddard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2005
The two start roughly the same speed at stock MHz, if anything I would bet on the AMD chip to take a very slight lead - but it's well known that the Intel chips are able to over clock like crazy if you are into that.

As to future upgrade potential, the AMD platform is known to be very good, with all CPU's in the next 3 to 4 years being able to slot into AM2 motherboards, AM3 and AM2+ processors are guaranteed to work in AM2 based systems.

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
The 5600+ is faster at stock speeds, no doubt. And cheaper, thanks to AMD's price cuts, which have made several X2s (most, actually...) attractive-looking buys.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
On a Clock for Clock cycle, the Intel's toast AMD chips.
The Intel Chips will also run at much higher clock speeds.

Almost w/o fail every C2Duo from the E4300 and up will easily reach 3.0Ghz on stock or near stock voltage so long as you get a proper MB, RAM, PSU, etc.....

The C2Duos OC so easily, it's not even traditional OCing which takes special skill, expensive cooling, and chip risk.

qcmadness

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
Ok guys, just wondering if any of you more knowledgeable folks can help me out with a dilemma?

The X2 5600 is currently about £25 ($50) cheaper than the E6400, and according to the benchmark test on this site outperforms it as well. Just wondering what you guys think, because I’ve read a lot recently on Intel supremacy. Bear in mind the 2 most important things to me in my new PC are going to be 1) Gaming and 2) upgrade potential. I’m going to be rounding the system out with a fairly decent graphics card, probably a 8800GTS 320mb and 2 gig of decent RAM.

Thanks in advance guys!
Sam

If you plan to overclock, choose E6400. Otherwise x2 5600+ is a better deal. :wink:

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Im not sure how much you are paying, but after the 22nd Intel will be cutting prices as well, so if you can wait till then you could build either cheaper with an E6400 and OC or bump up to the E6600 and you would be besting the 5600+ even at stock, but then still have the OC headroom. That is what I would do if I were you! Just my two cents...hope this helps!

Best,

3Ball

wiley15

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2007
I was wondering the same thing with new build, but for me it was the difference in power consumption that tipped me to the Core 2 Duos (and the April 22nd price cuts). The Core2Duo line uses much less power than the X2 5000+ line. So, not only will you pay more over time with an X2 but you have a higher chance of heat-related problems (without a more expensive cooling system), not to mention just plain anti-environment outcome.

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Yea like I said before even if not OC'ing I think it would be a more wise choice to wait a week or 2 and buy the E6600 at this point.

Best,

3Ball

00h00m

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
Currently the CPU market is a bargain shoppers heaven. The only bad prices out there are when compared to other better prices, but historically it is hard to find a better period for consumers.

If you are the type to watch the prices after you will buy you will probably be disappointed. This is not the stock market, prices will almost always go down.

If you are in the low/mid end market you are certainly fine buying today. Like others said, get the C2D if you are going to overclock and the AMD if you are going to run stock.

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
WOW! I retract my previous statement to the OP. Get the 6420 after the 22nd instead of the E6600 and then run it @ 400mhz FSB (3.2ghz CPU Speed) and set memory to 1:1 making it run @ 800mhz! lol that is good news for new builders such as my roommate, thx for the info man.

Best,

3Ball

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
He can get a good mobo for around $125 - 135 and the proc for $185 after the 22nd if he OC's the the price is justified!

Best,

3Ball

samjhudson

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2007
thanks guys, thats AWESOME!

Great range of responses, I'm very grateful

sorry to go a little off topic, but is overclocking all that neccessary? I can afford to spend about $600 a year on new components, so will get a new $200 chip every 12 months or so. will this not keep me fairly up to speed? thats why my main concern was the upgrade potential - I need a good board with a couple of years life on it - from what I gather theres a fair bit of development still planned for the AM2

in case you're wondering by the way, the rest of the cash I spend will be on a GPU :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

gotta love the gaming

Thanks again dudes - I'm surprised by how helpful you've been. In the past I've been called noob and worse for similar questions - not on this site though :)

shawnpaul3

Distinguished
May 31, 2006
No Kidding. I heard that the last 10 or 20 folks who bashed Mrs. Bytch mysteriously disappeared. :twisted:

Honestly, though, just my input, but in a case where I was deciding between AMD and Intel, both chips being at or near equal, but AMD was slightly more in price, I would purchase AMD. If everyone decided to support the behemoth Intel just because they cost a little less, and the worst happens to AMD, we would certainly be paying for it soon enough...and I'm not 100% referring to money, either.

G

Hi there, I'm new :)

I would buy the E6400 and just give it a slight push. Even if you aren't into overclocking, giving a slight push and just buying that is a good idea. As said before, there is not much skill needed for overclocking these chips until you get into the higher speeds. 3ghz is an easy reach, after that is where a teeny bit of skill comes in, but still not much, and easy for anyone.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
I hear the little 3600+ brisbanes are hitting 3ghz too

3GHz K8 would be like a 2.5GHz C2D. A 3GHz C2D would be a 3.6GHz K8. A 3.6GHz C2D would be a 4.3GHz K8.

But it cant touch $62 now can it fanoy?STFU, go back in your corner, and continue banging your head against the wall. :x As usual, you didn't pay attention. The x2 3600+ wasn't one of the options.....TARD!!

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
But it's not all about Ghz my friend.

A 3Ghz C2D would toast a 3Ghz Brisbane.
So you spend $100 less and you get a CPU with far less potential.

Certain priced builds this may be a wise more.

However, in this case we are talking about the X2 5600.
There are no price points that would justify this CPU IMHO for custom builders.

If the Chips were going to run at stock, the pehaps.
However, anyone who runs low to mid-range CPUs at stock is really
not configuring their system optimally. In an off-the-shelf system on which you cant tweak the speed is a place where AMD holds more ground.

No, I'm not a Fanboy.

I'm just somebody who knows that the AMD chips toasted the old Intel Netburst chips, Intel released new cores that now toasts the AMD cores that are many years old now, and that we are currently awaiting AMDs response to come in the fall.

The reason that AMD has been forced to slash prices as far as they have is because they know their chips are not as good at this point in time.

As you pointed out, the Brisbane 3600+ is a very nice chip at that price point. It can be used to build very nice systems. However, the chip being discussed is the X2 5600 which is far more expensive and negates those advantages. If you were highly budget constrained I could support the use of the chip you specified.

For example, Yesterday a poster said he had about $300 to spend on CPU, MB, and RAM and that he had most of the other components from previous sytems. I specked out a very nice combination with that Brisbane you mentioned. And I added that if he waited two-three weeks and tossed in another $75 he could build a much better system.

In this case, I based my recommendation on suggesting a CPU that was cheaper than any he was looking to purchase and yet could outperform any CPU that AMD has to offer at any price point. It also had about the same potential as the CPU he had listed. If price was a big concern, I would recommend holding off about two weeks for the price cuts and new CPUs to be released.

Fanboy? Yes I am. I am 100% a Fanboy.
But no, I'm not an Intel Fanboy. Nor am I an AMD Fanboy.

I'm a Inexpensive Quality Built System Fanboy.
Give me the best parts at the best prices to meet my needs.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
I hear the little 3600+ brisbanes are hitting 3ghz too

3GHz K8 would be like a 2.5GHz C2D. A 3GHz C2D would be a 3.6GHz K8. A 3.6GHz C2D would be a 4.3GHz K8.

But it cant touch $62 now can it fanoy?STFU, go back in your corner, and continue banging your head against the wall. :x As usual, you didn't pay attention. The x2 3600+ wasn't one of the options.....TARD!!

No, It can't touch $62.

Perhaps this Intel Chip.............
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819112206

It should be able to hit 3.0Ghz, and is only $36!!!!!

Silly comparison you say because the Brisbane would toast this chip?
Well of course.
And the C2D would toast the brisbane.

You get what you pay for.
That is why this Intel Chip is $36 and why the Brisbane is only $62.

TRENDING THREADS