TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
Using Intel D955XBK with an HP DVD 740i in Win 2005 MCE w/ SP2 and Update Rollup 3.

Whenever I pull stuff off of a CD or whatnot, the CPU utilization spikes so that one CPU core (out of 2) is nearly 100% - though if you look at the processes in Task Mgr, it claims that most of the time is spent in the system idle process.

I took a look in device mgr and noticed that the DVD drive is configured for PIO only, and there wasn't an option to switch it to DMA enabled. I looked in the BIOS settings, and found no place to enable or disable the DMA channels, and all IDE devices are set to "auto" or "enhanced". I looked in device mgr at the device driver for the DMA channels, and found that the hardware is in state D3 (off!!).

Why would the DMA channels be disabled and the hardware turned off? How can I turn them back on? Anyone out there using this Mobo have any info?

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
Go into the device manager and expand the "IDE Controllers"

Delete the one that is stuck in PIO mode. Reboot.

When it boots back up, it should re-install it. It should be in DMA mode now. I can't remember if you need your motherboard driver CD or not.

I had this happen to me a while ago and that fixed it for me.