evga+overclocking+warranty

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Actually read the fine print:
http://www.evga.com/support/lifetime/copy%20of%20default.asp

This lifetime warranty is valid for the life of the retail product, so long as the original purchaser owns the product, based upon the following conditions:

.......There is no physical damage to the PCB, GPU/chipset, or components.

Would overclocking be defined as "physical" damage? I would argue NO. Physical refers to "breaking" something, dropping, it, etc. Burnout is electrical damage inside the chip. Not physical.

Also, confirmed here:
http://www.evga.com/community/messageboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23809&SearchTerms=void,warranty

So, NO, overclocking doesn't affect an EVGA warranty. Just don't physically break anything or remove any stickers.

billdcat4

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
That would make sense then

hrmm....

The EVGA e-GeForce 7900 GS KO would be a good choice for those who want HDCP support, a couple of games (including Hitman: Blood Money), and an exceptional warranty policy (EVGA will replace your card for any reason aside from deliberate physical damage; even if you break it while overclocking).

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2835&p=13

I read this when the article was 1st printed. It set me towards evga for that reason.

I was wondering if the warranty had changed since then, or if Anandtech had got it wrong.

Does someone know for sure about the warranty thing??

billdcat4

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
Weather OCing voids the warenty or not dosn't really matter if you think about it. How are they going to prove it was OCed?

If you hand in your card in after OCing it too far and burning it up; theyll be able to see that its clocked too high. At that point you cant change it back.

Or maybe they have some sort of firmware or hardware indicator, that can show oc'ing even if you downclock it back.

I wouldnt try to RMA a card that I voided the warranty on.

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
That Anandtech supports what I posted...that the warranty doesn't cover physical damage, but does cover other things.

So, if you OC it and burn it up, get it fixed/replaced under warranty. You just pay for costs of shipping and that's it. EVGA states exactly that under their terms of warranty on their own website.

Pretty clear to me, cut and dry.

fletch420

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
I agree that EVGA is known for a great warranty. Remember though that on occasion when you OC a part there is a catastrophic failure of a component ie. popped cap, melted bit and such. So as long as that doesn't happen you are good to go, and besides its time for a new card anyway...light that beeehotch up.....>0

billdcat4

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
If only amd/intel would do that.... :D I think one way that amd would so win the enthusiast market is if their future fx products will come out ihsless, any enthusiast will pay extra for lower temps, and since there are major landfills of x6800s and fx-62s that people tried to take the ihs off and failed, they could get away with a higher price since people would gladly pay the difference for a major decrease in load temps. Or at least they could stop soldering the ihs to the cpu like they didn't with 939, I was about to take the ihs off my am2 cpu until thankfully I did a bit of research and found out that amd soldered the ihs on am2 cpus

Is it that easy to burn out a GPU just by OCing it with Rivatuner/Ati Tool? Even if I use aftermarket cooling? I want to OC a lot, but I definately dont want to damage my card. What should I be careful of?

lp231

Splendid
I've read somewhere that also includes the changing of the gpu cooler.
Unlike other cards, once you change the cpu cooler to some other brand, your warranty is void.

But if you are going to return your defective card to eVGA make sure you put
back its stock cooler, before sending it back.

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
EVGA's website also states that changing to your own preference of custom cooler does NOT void the warranty :)

However, you MUST put the stock cooler back on before you send it in for warranty.

billdcat4

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
EVGA's website also states that changing to your own preference of custom cooler does NOT void the warranty :)

However, you MUST put the stock cooler back on before you send it in for warranty.

i know i know....

vf900 :)

If you burn out your card using ati tool, ati's warranty covers it, but you won't, ati tool will shut off your computer once the gfx card reaches a certain temp, which is why ati puts a warranty on it. It actually is pretty hard to damage a well cooled cpu/gpu if you clock it within reason and properly apply voltage (though you should refrain from that, I think pushing the card only as far as it can go on stock voltage would be the smart move)

Thats what I plan to do eventually. How far do you think I can get my e4300 and 7900GS KO with the ACF7P and Zalman VF900 on stock voltages? I want to keep stability at maximum.

I think that 2.4 or 2.66ghz will be appropriate for the CPU, no?

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Just in case there's a crossed wire here, I want to explain something:

Overclocking your CPU and your GPU have absolutely NOTHING to do with each other whatsoever. At all.

You can OC your CPU and keep your GPU stock. Or vice versa. Or both. Or neither.

ATI Tool helps OC your GPU only. BIOS to OC your CPU.

That's the Cliff's Notes version ;)

billdcat4

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
You do know ati tool only works on ati gpus right? And that their warranty only covers ati cards even if you managed to use the tool right? Ati isn't that nice, they only do that with their own cards, kinda like how tat for stability testing only works on intel cpus which is pretty annoying
Not to mention, ati's warranty won't cover an nvidia chip anyways, there tool and warranty only work on ati chips to start with
Just in case there's a crossed wire here, I want to explain something:

Overclocking your CPU and your GPU have absolutely NOTHING to do with each other whatsoever. At all.

You can OC your CPU and keep your GPU stock. Or vice versa. Or both. Or neither.

ATI Tool helps OC your GPU only. BIOS to OC your CPU.

That's the Cliff's Notes version

You know the only thing that I didnt know was that ATI Tool doesnt work w/ Nvidia. I just assumed that because I remember hearing someone say that they were going to OC their 8800GTS with ATI Tool. Just careless assumption on my part.

The other things you are babbling about, with warranties and all make me seem like a blutard. Heck, Im not that dumb.

From what I have gathered, I can OC my eVGA 7900GS KO under warranty using software like Rivatuner. What I want to know is, is this safe and what can I expect from such an OC.

I dont believe I have any wires crossed anymore. I wont mention @T1 t001 again.
?
Have either of you OC'd your GPUs? If so, how did it go?

fletch420

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
sorry guys- ATItool works on all GPU's- i have used and am currently using it to tune my video. In fact at this time it is one of the few tool that is working well in vista.

lmimmfn

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
Yep, i use ATI Tool for my 7800GTX, the 3d test for artifacts and temps is brilliant. It just has slightly less functionality with an nvidia card than an ATI one. Its an invaluable tool for any card

lmimmfn

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
That's cool, guess ati is the king afterall at least for putting effort and design into their products
not really, atitool is a reeware tool and not in any way affiliated with ati, but its a great tool, now if Ray Adams would only do an nvidia version of ATITrayTools, that would be the biz