Programs running low on system memory - How can I allocate?

fishquail

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
Im running adobe premiere pro 2 on a new dual processor dual core Opteron 270 based system with 2GBs of memory and I am getting an message from Adobe premiere pro 2 that says : "Permiere is running low on system memory -proceed with caution."

and yes, The project im working on is very complex - over 2 hours long. up to 10 layers.

But i am wondering if I can make sure the system is giving all its got to allocated to premiere. How can I check this? Is there a way to make sure winows is giveing premiere everything the system has?

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
I believe that you can go into the task manager, right click on a process (adobe in your case) and up the priority. I have never really messed with it before, but maybe give it a try.

fishquail

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
Yes, I see that you can do that but it gives a warning that this may cause crashes or instability. I wonder what will happen if I try it?

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
This is just an assumption, but say you had an F@H client running which uses 100% of you CPU clock cycles. It is normally the lowest priority. They warn you because if you set something like that to the highest priority, you could end up SOL. It would consume all your clock cycles and allow you to do nothing.

For your application, you might bump it up one level and see how your computer reacts to it. If you bump it up to the highest, you wouldn't be able to multitask while running your app.

Again I don't have much experience with it, so I'm just assuming (and you know where that can get you!).

I actually bumped my F@H up one level to see what would happen. I'm gonna leave it like that and see how it goes.