IDE cabling at the beginning... you know to reduce .. issues

billdcat4

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
Getting a ds3 and sata hd based rig soon. when i 1st set up my rig I want to have only the basics so itll be easy to determine issues. Ill leave the wifi card, sound card, and second dvd burner out.

Im getting this round IDE cable to connect my 2 dvd burners to the one ide port on the ds3.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812183036

What I want to know, is what jumper settings do I use on the drives. Ive installed my LiteOn SHM165S twice, and messed up on the 1st try both times with the jumper settings. I just figure in the middle of building a new rig the last thing I need is unexplained issues :(

1. What Jumper settings do I use on the 2 drives when theyre being used at the same time?
2. When 1st building, which pata/ide/ata port on the cable do i use to connect to the 1 optical used then, and also what jumper settings.

Also, I wanted to know, what changes should I make to the BIOS on 1st boot? You know, stuff like SATA mode, AHCHI and all that jazz. I dunno what any of it means, so it would be great if you could help me on that.

thnx u all

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
I think it depends on which opticals you have.....not positive, but it might make a differnce since different models have different jumper setups. Samsung, for example, has the proper jumper setup shown on their website. LG might too.

What opticals u got? I got dual opticals, I can look at my settings, but again, dunno about if model/brand makes a difference.

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
Hey, check out AC Ryan round IDE cables; they are MUCH better than standardized round cables these days because they are custom modded for a near perfect fit.

Anyhow, a basic IDE cable has a connector1 - long cable - connector2 - short cable - connector3. Connector1 is used to connect to the MB, and connector3 ALWAYS connects to the MASTER drive while connector2 ALWAYS connects to the SLAVE drive.

As for jumper settings: YOU MUST DETERMINE them off the drives themselves; usually signified by one or two jumper caps in configurations noted on the drive via diagrams.

As for BIOS settings: I usually set boot priority as 1) floppy, 2) HDD0 - SATA/SCSI, 3) CD-ROM.

billdcat4

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
Hey, check out AC Ryan round IDE cables; they are MUCH better than standardized round cables these days because they are custom modded for a near perfect fit.

Anyhow, a basic IDE cable has a connector1 - long cable - connector2 - short cable - connector3. Connector1 is used to connect to the MB, and connector3 ALWAYS connects to the MASTER drive while connector2 ALWAYS connects to the SLAVE drive.

As for jumper settings: YOU MUST DETERMINE them off the drives themselves; usually signified by one or two jumper caps in configurations noted on the drive via diagrams.

As for BIOS settings: I usually set boot priority as 1) floppy, 2) HDD0 - SATA/SCSI, 3) CD-ROM.

Thanx for the info,..... in my dead dell both of the drives were set as Cable Select.

thnsx