Sign in with
Your question

Issues with Windows VISTA RC1 and CRT Monitors

Last response: in Windows XP
September 6, 2006 4:28:48 PM

I installed Windows VISTA RC1 on a rig and am having issues with it not detecting the proper settings on two seperate CRT monitors. (One is a Viewsonic 19" P95f+ the other a Sony Trinitron 19").

The specs are as follows:

DFI Lanparty UT SLI DR
AMD Athlon64 X2 4800+
2x1GB OCZ Platinum *XTC* PC4000 DDR
ATi Radeon x1900XT 512MB
Sound Blaster Audigy 2
2x80GB WD Caviar SE 8MB Cache PATA

Everything installs correctly and I can run everything in Safe mode but the monitors are detected as Default Monitors and not Plug And Play. This causes Windows VISTA to try and run them at refresh rates that are higher then they were designed for. Even if I boot up in VGA mode I get the same issue where the monitor flickers on and off, on and off on the Sony Trinitron and I get a out of scan range on the Viewsonic.

Is there a way to change the Monitor driver in Windows VISTA RC1 without going into Windows and from Safe Mode?

Thanks.
September 7, 2006 1:41:41 PM

Well I got it working... for those who may encounter this problem there seems to be a bug with the Default (Standard VGA) drivers that are installed when the O/S (VISTA) does not recognize the Graphics Card. It seems to have a broken ESID segment of the driver which does not enable it to read the Monitor information correctly (on CRT's). I had to hook up an LCD, install the latest Catalyst VISTA drivers and then re-hook up the CRT's.... Voila it works.. here are a few screenies.

!