Are you sure you want to delete 'WINDOW' ?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

"Are you sure you want to delete 'WINDOW' ? "

This is recycle bin's "confirm file delete" message, and it appears whenever
I try to empty the recycle bin. Then, if I choose "Yes", a dialog box warns
me that access is denied. Next, I should expect sudden system halts , or
worst, the blue screen of death. I'm sure no one has ever tried to delete
the "Windows" directory in my computer, because it is hidden. How can I get
rid of this?
Thanks
ps: The recycle bin icon on the desktop shows it full, but its "empty
recycle bin" menu item is disabled. The recycle bin it self contains no icon
or folder.
---
(XP Pro SP2 + latest updates, McAfee security + All updated, Ad-Aware SE
Personal + updated, .NET Framework 1.1, IIS 5.1, CPU P 2.4 Celeron Intel, HD
Maxtor 60 GB)
2 answers Last reply
More about delete window
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    I have seen that before but I cannot remember what to do, but you can try
    this,
    Go to Start>My Computer>local C:>right click properties, and run the disk
    cleanup tool. As well as cleaning temp files, etc from your computer, it
    will also delete the contents of your recycle bin.
    It might be that while you have explorer open, one of the files is in use,
    so close all your applications, close explorer, and empty the recycle bin
    from your desktop.
    "HAM" <hmdzxx5x@hotmaildotcom> wrote in message
    > "Are you sure you want to delete 'WINDOW' ? "
    >
    > This is recycle bin's "confirm file delete" message, and it appears
    > whenever
    > I try to empty the recycle bin. Then, if I choose "Yes", a dialog box
    > warns
    > me that access is denied. Next, I should expect sudden system halts , or
    > worst, the blue screen of death. I'm sure no one has ever tried to delete
    > the "Windows" directory in my computer, because it is hidden. How can I
    > get
    > rid of this?
    > Thanks
    > ps: The recycle bin icon on the desktop shows it full, but its "empty
    > recycle bin" menu item is disabled. The recycle bin it self contains no
    > icon
    > or folder.
    > ---
    > (XP Pro SP2 + latest updates, McAfee security + All updated, Ad-Aware SE
    > Personal + updated, .NET Framework 1.1, IIS 5.1, CPU P 2.4 Celeron Intel,
    > HD
    > Maxtor 60 GB)

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    [[Are you sure you want to delete WINDOWS?]]

    Makes you stop and think when you see that message, doesn't it? ;-)

    You probably have a damaged/corrupted file in the Recycle Bin.

    Run Error Checking | Reboot | Try to empty the Recycle Bin again.

    1. In My Computer or Windows Explorer, right-click the volume you want to
    check, and then click Properties.
    2. On the Tools tab, click Check Now.
    3. Do one of the following:

    o To run Chkdsk by using the /f parameter, select the Automatically fix file
    system errors check box, and then click Start.
    [[Specifies whether Windows repairs file-system errors found during disk
    checking. All files must be closed for this program to run. If the drive is
    currently in use, a message asks if you want to reschedule
    the disk checking for the next time you restart your computer. Your drive is
    not available to run other tasks while the disk is being checked.]]

    o To run Chkdsk by using the /r parameter, select the Scan for and attempt
    recovery of bad sectors check box, and then click Start.
    [[Specifies whether Windows repairs file-system errors found during disk
    checking, locates bad sectors, and recovers readable information. All files
    must be closed for this program to run. If the drive is currently in use, a
    message asks if you want to reschedule the disk checking for the next time
    you restart your computer. Your drive is not available to run other tasks
    while the disk is being checked. If you select this option, you do not need
    to select Automatically fix file system errors. Windows fixes any errors on
    the disk.]]

    You have to reboot for Error-checking to run.

    For a peek at the log.
    Start | Run | Type: eventvwr | OK
    Look in Application | Listed as Information
    under Winlogon, Event 1001

    Additional info here >>

    Windows XP From A to Z
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_r.htm

    Scroll down to:
    Recycle Bin - Deleting Problems

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:eGMm2faQFHA.924@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    HAM <hmdzxx5x@hotmaildotcom> hunted and pecked:
    > "Are you sure you want to delete 'WINDOW' ? "
    >
    > This is recycle bin's "confirm file delete" message, and it appears
    > whenever I try to empty the recycle bin. Then, if I choose "Yes", a
    > dialog box warns me that access is denied. Next, I should expect sudden
    > system halts , or worst, the blue screen of death. I'm sure no one has
    > ever tried to delete the "Windows" directory in my computer, because it
    > is hidden. How can I get rid of this?
    > Thanks
    > ps: The recycle bin icon on the desktop shows it full, but its "empty
    > recycle bin" menu item is disabled. The recycle bin it self contains no
    > icon or folder.
    > ---
    > (XP Pro SP2 + latest updates, McAfee security + All updated, Ad-Aware SE
    > Personal + updated, .NET Framework 1.1, IIS 5.1, CPU P 2.4 Celeron Intel,
    > HD Maxtor 60 GB)

Microsoft Windows XP