Your Experience w/ Tuniq Tower 120?

pchoi04

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
So it comes down to the Zalman 9700 and the Tuniq Tower 120. Performance wise it sounds like the Tuniq Tower 120 is the no brainer but the only thing holding me back is that I've heard the mounting system is flimsy.

Running a P5B Deluxe and Core 2 Duo E6300.

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Love it, wouldnt trade for any other hsf. The mounting system is kinda screwy though. The screws are actually two peices, the head is just kinda glued on there. I had one of the screws brake on me, no damage done, just inconvenient. I suggest replacing the stock mounting hardware, 1 1/2" long machine screws and wing nuts are suppost to work alot better then the stock gear. Take the backplate with you when you go to the hardware store, that way you can make sure your getting the right screw size.

I've been meaning to replace everything for a while now, im just to lazy to take everything apart again. The super glue is holding for now...

Stewartwi

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
So it comes down to the Zalman 9700 and the Tuniq Tower 120. Performance wise it sounds like the Tuniq Tower 120 is the no brainer but the only thing holding me back is that I've heard the mounting system is flimsy.

Running a P5B Deluxe and Core 2 Duo E6300.

I love mine as well. I still need to switch out fans in it but aside from that it is perfect.

pongrules

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
I had one but I got so hacked off about the mounting system (heads popping off the screws) that I bought the Scythe Infinity and I haven't looked back. If you like paying $60 for a heatsink that's a PITA to install, so much so that you have to use superglue, go to the hardware store, pay more money, spend more time and frustration all for a few extra degrees, etc. then the Tower is for you.

By the way, the Scythe Infinity rocks, I see 41c under full load, 32c idle. Plus all I had to do to install was paste on AS5 and popped the thing on. Took me 10 minutes. With the Tuniq Tower 120, it was 20 minutes before the first screw head popped off. It was 40 minutes before my head popped off my shoulder. :evil: Great cooler, dumb attachment design. All they had to do was machine the screws as one piece and they could have probably cornered the market. :evil:

plguzman

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
Excellent cooler. I have unmounted and mounted it 3 or 4 times, my screws are just fine. I install it in less than 10 minutes. Sure, you need to be careful to be sure it's well aligned with the CPU, but that's all.

rammedstein

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
great heatsink, but it broke my last mobo, go zalman

How did that happen? 8O

one of the screw/pin thingys came out and the tension was un-even, turned the computer horizontally to see what had happened and as i layed it down (quite gently) it cracked the mobo around the socket.

Thinking about changing to the thermalright ultra 120 and stickign a noctua on it because my zalman is a bit noisy, the thermalright is awesome, just nothign around here stocks it.

pongrules

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
They have new mounting hardware for the Tuniq? They sure as hell need it. For every successful, no-problems install I read about, there are at least 5 - 6 complaints about the mounting system and/or people just tossing it due to frustration.

plguzman

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
I'm not so sure about that, in Newegg are 59 customer reviews of it and 47 qualify it as excellent. The biggest complain I see is about the size of the HS (difficulty to fit in cases), but not much complains about mounting hardware.

Anyway, it's true that some people has problems with the screws, mostly. I didn't have any. The bad experiences will be noticed immediately because the people will write about it. But for example, this is the 1st time I talk online about my Tuniq "experience".

Stewartwi

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
I just installed mine about a month ago and I didn't have any problems and my screws didn't appear to be in two sections. I don't know I seated it and installed it then took it off and applied some AS5 that I had picked up and then reinstalled in fine with no problems. I hope that never happens to my computer.

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
They have new mounting hardware for the Tuniq? They sure as hell need it. For every successful, no-problems install I read about, there are at least 5 - 6 complaints about the mounting system and/or people just tossing it due to frustration.

The new hardware isnt Tuniq endorsed or recommended.

@Stefx: Are you sure those arent the screws for mounting on an AM2 mobo?

pongrules

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006

The new hardware isnt Tuniq endorsed or recommended.

@Stefx: Are you sure those arent the screws for mounting on an AM2 mobo?

The new harware isn't Tuniq endorsed or recommended, but then again, neither is the hardware you end up having to go to the hardware store for. :lol: