GadgetGrl

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
This has been an ongoing problem for many months and I just can't figure it out. I wasn't sure where
else to post so if I'm off base I apologize.

When I try to start up windows media player as well as other programs I get this message, "Windows Media Player cannot play the file. This
can occur when another program or operating system component encounters a problem but does not communicate the nature of the problem to the Player". I'm able to open the program but that's about all. It also does this when I try ATI media player. I've tried installing WMD with out success (it just hangs), also I can't play a DVD however I have been able to get into Guildwars which has been installed awhile now, and recently when I tried to update Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 (the same time I tried installing WMD), I had problems installing that as well. So you see it's not just targeting one program but a number of them that I either try to install or run. The only media player that actually works is itunes. I've been trying to install Warcraft III and while the program installed, it won't initialize into a playing screen but jump back to the desktop. I've troubleshooted directx, my video card and each of the individual programs, all to no avail. I've updated MULTIPLE times on each, drivers and patches. My bios and motherboard has also been updated. I've uninstalled and reinstalled my sound card thinking
that might be my problem, checked my memory and power supply. I've also covered the virus and malware possibilities. I know that I'm covered with the specs of the game, 1gb ram, amd 2500 processor and plenty of disk space. I've called tech support at ati, blizzard and creative with no results. One of the techs mentioned that he thought my memory was being eaten up by something and didn't know what but a check in the task manager doesn't show an overload of programs running. I also went into msconfig and disabled most of the startup programs I didn't need as well as any unnessary services. Now I'm just at a loss for what to do and ANY help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. :(

My specs are

amd 2500 with a barton core
abit mb nf7 nvidia chip nforce2
1gb ram
300 gb hard drive
ati graphics card 9800 pro
creative sb audigy legacy

SRT001

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
Also try downloading the latest Windows Installer (think its version 3.1) file from the MS site, could be that its corrupt on your pc, but that might also not install...

GadgetGrl

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
Thanks Guys for the feedback and will probably go with your suggestion to try first a repair install although I agree a complete format eventually, it's just the same headache of having to reinstall everything from zip, ugh!

A couple of easier questions, have many of you installed programs onto a external HD and if so how did it do? Also I wanted to do a print screen of the installed programs page but the button on my keyboard won't work, any ideas??

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
I've never owned an external HD, but I'm sure that it's not any different than installing on a 2nd hard drive. At the start of the install you can specify where you want your program to install. Just select your external. Like if the default is "C:/Program Files/YourProgram" change it to
"E:/Program Files/YourProgram". That's just an example, your drive may not be E: and you may not want the same file structure, but you get the idea.

You could download something like Fraps. It has a screen capture function.

Why don't you donwload Fraps and install it on your external. Kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

sturm

Splendid
after you press the print screen button, open up the paint program and click edit then paste. This will paste the screen shot in which you can then save to what ever file name you want to.

riser

Illustrious
Have you tried a System Restore from a time when it worked? You'll have to go back and download all your updates again, but that may save you some time.

Installing to an external hard drive, if using USB2.0 isn't bad. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother with it.

Your problem might lay with a Hot Fix that MS put out that conflicted with certain versions. It has been a while but I had this problem and I think a system restore had fixed it. I think its a hot fix that is causing your headache.

Support.microsoft.com - you could search there to see what pops up.