ASUS M2NPV-VM

chrone

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
any real life experience with this asus m2npv-vm guys?

my system with x2 3600+ (90nm) runs the southbridge so hot. i think i have to add an additional ram copper heatsink from thermaltake to chill it down a bit.

MikeCerm

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2007
My experience is the same as yours. Asus made a horrible decision to use no heatsink on the southbridge. When I first got mine, I was using a 4600+ with PC6400 and a slight overclock. The system crashed a lot. I knew I had good RAM, so I looked around inside the case to see what the problem was. The heatsink on the northbridge was hot enough to the touch that I couldn't keep a finger on it for more than a few seconds. The southbridge was so hot that couldn't believe that it wasn't melting. I couldn't even hold my finger on it for a second.

I installed a heatsink, and it stopped crashing. If you look at every other board on the market that uses this chipset, they all have small heatsinks on the southbridge, so it doesn't really make any sense why Asus omitted it. I like the board (it's the only one I could find with on-board DVI), but adding a heatsink is a must.

chrone

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
oh i see. thanks for the reply. i really appreciate it. :) i guess you are right about not adding the heatsink. hehe

MrMaestro

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
I'm running a 3600+ X2 AM2 at 2.3 GHz on this board and the system runs fine, never had a crash on it. The northbridge heatsink is only warm too.

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
:x
I was planning on buying the pv-vm. So it heats up without overclocking?
The 430 chip does run hot at stock speeds. It should not cause a problem IF you have adequate case cooling. This is NOT a board you should overclock anyway. Options are limited and the integrated graphics northbridge will not go very far. I use a tower case with lots of room and slow quiet fans, never had a problem. Putting a small heatsink on the 430 should bring temps down if that concerns you. Use a (very short height) northbridge cooler, or ram heatsinks.

cptndipshit

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
I have this board with a 3600x2 with an arctic cooler 7, 4gb ram, 7600gt and just the cheap $10 Hipro PSU on it and I have had zero problems with it. great MB (and PSU by the way for a budget PC)

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
I have this board with a 3600x2 with an arctic cooler 7, 4gb ram, 7600gt and just the cheap $10 Hipro PSU on it and I have had zero problems with it. great MB (and PSU by the way for a budget PC)
Please don't recommend a "cheap $10 Hipro psu" to anyone. You just got lucky (for now)...

I have its 'cousin'. Just understand that the southbridge shouldn't be affected by overclocking (at worst, that hits the north bridge).
You can stick a heat sink on it if you want, but you'd be better off ensuring your case has good airflow.

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
You are right. It's the northbridge and BIOS that makes this board a poor choice for overclocking. It is also a fine reliable motherboard at stock speeds, and a good value as well.

JorgeSD

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2004

MikeCerm, which or what type of heatsink did you use? Did you use glue (thermal glue) to mount it? If so what type, just want go down the right path if you've already done it.

Latest posts