Random Restarting Problem - need help

cozwin

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
(small note this is cpu section as i couldnt figure out which section to post so i posted here sorry for anyone who doesnt like this)

Hi, been having this problem since about christmas time now and have done just about everything to try and figure out what is causing it.

Problem is that my system decides to totally reboot, and it has been happening in a couple of instances, playing games basicly all of them, watching movies on pc and finally when updating or doing any heavy tasks in antivir program.

What i have done so far to track down the cause is a very large list so here goes:

Changed the video card, ram, even had my motherboard replaced by scan still got the issue, ive also replaced the psu.
I have unplugged my reset button on case to check if it is that still no diffrent.

I have ran tons of benchmarks and tests to find problem including mem test, and burn in tests etc.

Only thing i havent tried changing is the cpu.

So any advice/knowledge will be very greafully took on because im now stuck.

thx Cozwin.

cozwin

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
what are your tems? have you gone through bios to make sure settings are correct? I dont use Intel so Thats about all I can offer. under what circumstances does it reboot?

temps fine from what i can see, cpu is 20/22 and cores are 40 - 50 depending on load.

Both bridges seems fine too.

And it reboots during games, video watching (after very long time) also when anti vir program updates (uninstalled this still rebooted)

HERSHEY

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
Have you updated from MS, the ones they just put out yesterday?I`ve been having the same trouble and I just read somewhere that the updates they put out not too long ago were causing this on some systems.Since I updated it`s only happened once so far.

kshipper

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2004
It has to be a power or a heat problem. Either one will cause the trouble you describe under heavy load. A qualified tech has the tools to measure temps and I have even seen this problem when the power supply wasn't connected to all the places it should be.

Do yourself a favour and take it to a tech. that builds machines all the time. I guarantee they will spot it fast and the cost will be minimal. All you want to pay them to do is "take a look".

If you want to tackle it yourself...consider this:

Reboots are due to protection settings in BIOS if they are heat related. Get the latest BIOS for your motherboard to make sure the BIOS is not mis-reporting temps. Try looking at the settings in BIOS...can you set your computer to "Not" restart? Maybe try setting the BIOS to just shutoff if a sudden reboot is forced. (At least you would know that it is the BIOS protection scheme causing the reboots).

If the reboots are power related then that is harder to diagnose unless you had a "known good" large watt power supply. Sticking in two different whimpy cheap PSUs does not mean you have explored the power issue to the fullest extent. Borrow or buy a really good PSU and then if it still reboots you can rule out PSU trouble. (assuming it is hooked up properly). Don't miss the 12V ylw/blk 4 pin line that goes to the motherboard.

Don't be shy with the CPU. I have seen heatsink fans that only had 50% contact that caused your exact problem. A common mistake is mounting the heatsink but not pushing the clips all the way through the motherboard therefore they are loose on one side. It's worth checking. you are probably avoiding it because taking a look spoils the orignal thermal pad. No worries thp'....just clean off the old pad with plastic scraper then replace that with a bit of thermal grease (a rice seized blob of grease is enough). Reseat your processor before you re-install the heatsink. Reseat the graphics card. Inspect the slots for damaged pins. Inspect the motherboard for shorts.

As a last resort grab a 2nd Hard Drive. Blast a copy of fresh install of Windows on. Load all the motherboard drivers, graphics drivers and then start benchtesting right away. Test RAM with Memtestx86 run Prime95 or 3dMark benchmarks. Do that until it reboots. if it does reboot you know it isn't Windows.

I hope some of this helps you out.

nightscope

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
(small note this is cpu section as i couldnt figure out which section to post so i posted here sorry for anyone who doesnt like this)

Hi, been having this problem since about christmas time now and have done just about everything to try and figure out what is causing it.

Problem is that my system decides to totally reboot, and it has been happening in a couple of instances, playing games basicly all of them, watching movies on pc and finally when updating or doing any heavy tasks in antivir program.

What i have done so far to track down the cause is a very large list so here goes:

Changed the video card, ram, even had my motherboard replaced by scan still got the issue, ive also replaced the psu.
I have unplugged my reset button on case to check if it is that still no diffrent.

I have ran tons of benchmarks and tests to find problem including mem test, and burn in tests etc.

Only thing i havent tried changing is the cpu.

So any advice/knowledge will be very greafully took on because im now stuck.

thx Cozwin.

Like said before, trying re-applying the heatsink and new thermal paste on the CPU (though I doubt that's the problem). Also try resetting Bios settings to default. What's the total amps on your 12+ rails on your PSU? Might be that your PSU doesn't have enough power for your PC. What's your system's specs?

cozwin

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
im pretty sure this isnt a temp thing because i relayed cpu yest and i put the thermal paste on perfectly, and both ihs and heatsink are very very flat.

Also for your comment on getting a expert ive talked to one and they basicly said same thing as me but he didnt have a full inspection of pc.

As for bios settings i think i will play with that for a lil bit in a few.

cozwin

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
also total 12v ampage is about 40 or 50 i think its alot tho 3 sets of rails with i think if i remember correctly 15 amps each so 45 if im correct.

Also i dont think its the psu as this problem happend before i had this psu when i had a cheapo one from computer shop and now ive got this xcilio very good psu and same problem so ill try bios.

sirrobin4ever

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
Here's one that most people won't think of:

Make sure that your PC is connected to a good power source. This means, not connected to the same circuit as anything with a decent size motor. AKA- a fridge. I was actually having this problem, and every time the fridge would kick on, the computer would turn off. (Low voltage situation caused PSU to turn off) I'm now on a different circuit, and the problem is fixed.

Best of Luck

cozwin

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
k tried restting bios defualts still reset.
Tried settings windows to bsod and retart with problems still reset so i believe its hardware.

kshipper

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2004
Your thought that it is hardware is likely the cause, but which piece is the million dollar question. If you give that rig to someone that builds computers for a living they can easily swap out the different pieces to determine which part is causing you the grief.

Sometimes you just don't have enough spare parts to properly diagnose these kind of problems.