Replacing Heatsink on OEM machine

ls

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
Hello!

Lately I've been experiecing alot of crashes when the computer is under load and it eventually shuts down. It's an Acer E500 with Pentium D 820. I know they get hot, but the current temp are just way too high.

The current heatsink (I saw alot of dusk in the fan but I couldnt get close enough to clean it. )
DSC00025.JPG

speedfan.JPG

sandracore0.JPG

Does anyone have any recommendation in what heatsink i should buy? It should not cost over £40. Toniq tower 120 and zalman cnps 9700 seem to be good ones but they are too large to fit into my case. Also the heatsink shouldnt require backplates like the cnps 9700 or 9500 do as I am unable to get to the back of the motherboard. I'm think the available space above the processor are 110 mm lenght, 150 mm width and 130 mm high.

I hope this makes sense as english isn't my first lanuage.

Many thanks in advance.

tomwaddle

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
You may get more help if you can take a pic of your motherboard so we can see how much clearance you have to put in another heatsink

ls

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
With heatsink
DSC00026.JPG

without heatsink
DSC00030.JPG

DSC00029.JPG

The current heatsink has Acer HI 2490.003 Rev A Foxconn 2005.10.06 printed on it.

Cpuz says its a rs400/rc400/rc410 motherboard. The motherboard itself has rc410 printed on it.

You could get a can of air and blow in backwards(from the side thay faces that back of the case.).

Also it looks as tho that air guide is just snapped into place with small tabs. It also looks like you can reach the screw on the fan with a small screw driver

But if thats not for you. An Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro will fit the bill without breaking the bank.

ls

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
Is it worth buying thermal grease instead of using the one already applied onto the heatsink? I've only found the CoolerMaster Hyper TX on ebuyer, but they only sell extra value thermal compound.

@ Nukemaster

They don't have any Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 pro in stock @novatech, overclockers, scan and ebuyer.

Sometimes I wish that newegg opens up a site in the uk...

my bad.

You HAVE to change the thermal compound. The old stuff has most likely now got dust or other particles from the air in it. Not to mention when u replace it, there will be air bubbles trapped in in compound.

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
Directron.com has the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 pro for $22US in stock. I just ordered one. It looks like they do ship internationally, but they make it a pain in the a@@ to do so.

dspear

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
With your current system: try installing a cheap 80mm fan in the rear of the bottom two DVD bays (assuming you have 4 bays total) parallel to the exhaust fan. This should put it a few inches directly in front of the heatsink. Your exhaust fan should already be immediately behind the heatsink. Air is pulled in the front, through the heatsink, and out the rear. If this solves your heat problem, get a quieter fan or reduce speed to taste. You can then get fancy with air guides, neons or a simple grill in front of the new fan, etc.

Any thermal compound is better then trying to reuse the old stuff. I had a tube of FREE Vantec stuff and it was only at most 3-5c above the AS5 i got later.

In general if your not going to over clock even the thermal compound that comes with the heatsink will work just fine. Some even come pre-applied.

Also since it seems like you have not cleaned off thermal compound before, I will give you a quick run down.

You will need Q-tips, 99%(lower will work just not as well) rubbing alcohol(Isopropyl Alcohol). You can get these items from the drug store.
Some kind of lint free cloth Coffee filters will work fine.

Now you dip the Q-tips in the alcohol and gently run the old compound off. You got a box so use all you need. When its clean you can use a coffee filter with the alcohol to make sure its all clean. Let it try and you are good to apply your compound.

Note: never touch the cleaned area and fold the coffee filter several time so the oil on your skin does not get on the cpu.

Now to apply the new stuff
In general there are 2 ways to apply it.

Way one(the old way)
place a small amount(about half a grain of rice worth) of the compound on the center of the heat spreader. Evenly spread it over the heat spreader with a straight edge like a credit(clean the edge with the alcohol first) card or razer blade. Once you have a thin and even coat slowly drop the heatsink one. Push the pins and twist then wiggle the sink side to side a bit to make sure its set.

Way two(the new way and good for thicker compounds and silver based)
Place a drop of compound in the center of the heat spreader(or draw a thin line with your dual core). Install the heat sink. This way the heat sink does the spreading of the compound. Twist a little after the pins are pushed in. Good to go

and last remember to plug in the fan :)

For more detailed instructions you can see the instruction from arctic silver
http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appinstruct/as5/ins_as5_intel_dual_wcap.pdf
Hope this helps

ls

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
Thanks for the guide.

Btw I meant the thermal compound which comes already applied on the new heatsink.

AdamBomb42

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
If you decide to keep your oem hs fan, to keep dust to a minimum you can try making a filter out of swiffer wipes or those green scrub pads. I've never tried the swiffer wipes but I hear they work great and I have used the green scrub pads with good results.

ls

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
I suppose i could use them to cover up the side of the case where the air guide used to take the air from.

rammedstein

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
have you tried pluging that fan into a non 4 pin fan plug, because i did that with an acer pc in the workshop the other day, was cooling better than my cnps9700... partially because the fan was running at 7k rpm...

ls

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
What's a non 4 pin fan plug?

@ Windex

Thanks for the recommendation but I have already ordered a coolermaster hyper tx from ebuyer.

The current power supply is from liteon. 300watt. I don't think its the weather which is causing stability issue as it never gets really hot in Britain. I was thinking of getting a hiper 580watt modular once ebuyer have them in stock.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Directron.com has the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 pro for $22US in stock. I just ordered one. It looks like they do ship internationally, but they make it a pain in the a@@ to do so.

I was thinking the same with the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7. I think it's small enough to fit inside the case. Use better thermal paste like Arctic Silver 5 and increase cool air intake by placing a better fan on the side panel.

windex

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
Hiper is a bit loud for my tate also the mesh grill will let the hot air back into your box or pc case.

If you are in Britin and you truely want the best PSU You can possible get and they come in 300 to almost 600 watts get a QTechnology

Thsi PSU has ben rated in efficiency up there with Enermax and is the quietest psu on the market right now also verry stable i also incourage to get a modle with a Past German fan or there top of the line with a AcoustiFan Dust Proof fan this fan will last at leat 7 years

here is the best place to buy in the UK
http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-gbp/home

This shop is a class act dont be fooled by bargain shops or shops with fancy templates these pepole are the real deal

also the NesteQ PSU ARE OUSTANDING

cHEERS

windex

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
Old Hand also ArctiClean is a graet product to use along with AS5 part two or step two of the ActiClean is a purifier witch leaves the heatsink in a Virgin state and the cpu.

Even alcohol leaves a resedue.

also i recomend puting the compound on the heatsink and then wiping it off and reaply to get it in tose microscopic tunnels you can't see.

and the lint free cloth was a verry good suggestion also no toucjhing the heatsink or cpu with fingers the grease or dead skin cells also can interfear wit the thermal conductivity.

and for pepole who do not want to use a conductive thermal interface Ceramique is a great option however the Arctic Silver 5 is the best for performance

ls

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
I ordered the Arctic Cooling (AC-FRZ-7P) Freezer 7 Pro Socket 775 CPU Cooler from ebuyer since they now have them instock. (right now you can get £10 off when you use google checkout...)