Antivirus Yet again

scales

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
Ok, well here is my situation. i got a laptop and a desktop. both will be behind a router 99% of the time, and for safety reasons, i guess i should have an antivirus/firewall solution. Currently I use zonealarm security suite. It is ok for what it does.

I am very cautious and aware of what i download/open and consider myself very knowledgeble. Still there are times when i want to be sure if the file i just downloaded poses a risk. regardless of the os, mac, linux, windows, if the user executes the right virus, they will be in trouble.

So, i would like a free antivirus/firewall solution to my problem. I am aware of avg, and think it does ok, i know zone alarm has a free firewall, though since i am behind at least one router, would the built in windows firewall be ok? i like the idea of both programs being light on the memory/cpu load.
Thoughts?

The windows firewall only protects against incoming connections, not outgoing connections. In my opinion Zonealarm is better.
The router firewall is a minimum firewall. It must let most of the traffic in. You can close ports for the most part with the router firewall.