refirgerated computer case

realibrad

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2007
if i were going to make a refirgerated computer case, what are the things i would need to be carful of besides moisture? im thinking of making an air tight case. and removoing as much of the moisture out, then taking apart a mini fridge to use for the cooling. i would use some case fans to move the air around. but that is as far as i got. any help would be much appreciated.

Labrat636

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2007
Yeah, I thought about that too but some one said the compressor would give out from trying to keep an active heat source cool. as they are not designed for that purpose - I wouldn't worry about condensation as long as it is a closed system - prob wouldn't even need the fans -
Let us know if you attempt this project - and post some pics of it,

drummerdude

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
there would still be condensation because of the temp difference from the inside of the case to the outside. and the fridge motors arent meant to be ran all the time like he said above. they do however make a/c units to go into cases and cases with it built in. link

nh484000

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
I tried something like this once. I placed everything but the motherboard outside the mini fridge. I ran all the wires out a whole and cocked it closed. I had a large heatsink with a fan on it.

The system worked for about a week then compressor died. Just some insite

Labrat636

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2007
there would still be condensation because of the temp difference from the inside of the case to the outside.

Yes, but it would only matter if it is an open system - one that lets fresh unconditioned air in - a closed system does not circulate any outside air into the chamber.

Mobius

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2002
Yours is a silly idea and it ccannot possibly work. It only takes 5 seconds of ACTUALLY thinking about it, to work it out:

1) Power draw of mini fridge = roughly 30 watts
2) assume efficiency is 3:1 (maximally)
3) 3 x 30 watts = 120 watts of cooling power (assuming you have a perfectly insulated case, which if course, you won't - so halve the ability: 60 watts of cooling.

So, you think you can cool a machine generating 200+ watts of heat (and up to 400 watts on some machines) with a cooling solution capable of cooling 60 watts?

I don't think so, Tim.

However, the Binford 6000 super-cooler might just work; it runs on a 3.5 litre V8. :p

dj_taboo

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2007
If I had a nickel for every time someone thinks about the "refrigerated pc" or the "A/C pc" i'd be rich. :roll:
Someone DO it already!! :evil:

proof

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
Won't work. The compressor in fride/freezers are not designed to run constantly as would be needed in a PC case. If you can grab one from an air conditioner you will be good to go like Taco Bell.

dj_taboo

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2007
Nitrogen cooling systems for a 30 min OC just for benchmarking makes more sense and would probably outlast the fridge for cooling a pc.

bm

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2004
Why build your own when you can get a refrigerated vapochill case for around $800-1000 shipped.. works great and keeps the chip at around -45c or just buy there compressor and design your own case.... Its just an idea... Going 2 years strong now.... Hmmm

TRENDING THREADS