Sign in with
Your question

Dual 7950 GX2 1GB SLI v. 8800

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 11, 2007 8:54:08 PM

Okay, let me start by saying that I have yet to upgrade to Vista so, of course, I will not be taking advantage of DX10 with an 8800. I'm staring at my Vista Home Premium upgrade disc right now (and thinking I should probably get the Home Prem. to Ultimate upgrade or at the very least Business for domain connectivity).

With that being said I am currently running an XPS 700 system:

CPU: e6600
RAM 4GB DDR2 667mhz (yeah, I know, only 2GB registered on 32-bit but I got the extra 2GB for free so who's to complain?)
Dual 7950 GX2 1GB SLI'd
HDD: 250GB SATA (3 Gb/s) 7200

Now, if I am going to bother with upgrading to Vista I really want to take advantage of DX10. Right now the only game I own that reportedly runs better with DX10 is SupCom. This means that I would be in the market for an 8800 series card.

Does anyone else have any experience to speak about when it comes to ugrading from the 7950 to an 8800? SLI is so overkill at this point so I am really looking at the dual cards and wondering if I wouldn't be better off with a single 8800. That, in turn, leads me to wonder if I should go ahead and get a GTS right now and possibly pick up a second when SLI gets some real support, or just kick out the change for the GTX.

Since I've not so much as SEEN a game running on Vista yet I have no idea what kind of performance to expect. I'd take any opinions out there if you guys are willing to give them

Mal

EDIT: I'd also like to note that I am running everything currently at 2560x1600 on my 30" widescreen so God knows that is killing some performance, but I just can't bring myself to downgrade to a smaller display.
April 11, 2007 11:07:18 PM

Quote:
Okay, let me start by saying that I have yet to upgrade to Vista so, of course, I will not be taking advantage of DX10 with an 8800. I'm staring at my Vista Home Premium upgrade disc right now (and thinking I should probably get the Home Prem. to Ultimate upgrade or at the very least Business for domain connectivity).

With that being said I am currently running an XPS 700 system:

CPU: e6600
RAM 4GB DDR2 667mhz (yeah, I know, only 2GB registered on 32-bit but I got the extra 2GB for free so who's to complain?)
Dual 7950 GX2 1GB SLI'd
HDD: 250GB SATA (3 Gb/s) 7200

Now, if I am going to bother with upgrading to Vista I really want to take advantage of DX10. Right now the only game I own that reportedly runs better with DX10 is SupCom. This means that I would be in the market for an 8800 series card.

Does anyone else have any experience to speak about when it comes to ugrading from the 7950 to an 8800? SLI is so overkill at this point so I am really looking at the dual cards and wondering if I wouldn't be better off with a single 8800. That, in turn, leads me to wonder if I should go ahead and get a GTS right now and possibly pick up a second when SLI gets some real support, or just kick out the change for the GTX.

Since I've not so much as SEEN a game running on Vista yet I have no idea what kind of performance to expect. I'd take any opinions out there if you guys are willing to give them

Mal

EDIT: I'd also like to note that I am running everything currently at 2560x1600 on my 30" widescreen so God knows that is killing some performance, but I just can't bring myself to downgrade to a smaller display.

Well sup com still runs on dx 9 - there is a dx10 patch in the pipeline, but it isn't here yet, and no game out at this moment in time uses dx10, so i'd wait until there is at least a game or patched game wanting dx10, as by then the card prices will have dropped and there will be better cards available.

The games i play on vista work s well as they did on xp, if not a little faster (prolly due to all the junk i had on xp tbh). I do run a ATI graphics solution, so i'd check how the drivers are working for a setup with 2 7950 gx2's in, as i know nvidia had trouble with the first couple of releases.

So again my advice is to wait until supcom dx10 patch or another dx10 game is out to need dx10 before upgrading as every game including supcom on vista uses dx9c.
a b U Graphics card
April 11, 2007 11:14:40 PM

IMO, sell both the GX2s, take that money and buy a single GTX. Then in the future see what options are available.

Getting a GTS is selling your monitor short, and you should be able to turn most of those GX2s into a single GTX. SLIing a GTS doesn't give you as many future options.

Get the best and best priced GTX and I think that gives you the oomph you need for your LCD and the complete flexability, and unlike SLi, especially Quad SLi, that advantage will be felt in far more games.
Related resources
April 11, 2007 11:41:36 PM

I have to agree with the purple ape on this one. You will be happier in the long run with more reasonable upgrades over time.

I lept into the 6800GT when it was brand new and it lasted a long time, but I felt tied to it since I spent so much on it. Had I been more reasonable with my upgrade path I could have had two intermediate upgrades in the same time for the same amount of money. Overall I would have had more time spent in the newer technology category too. As it happened I was top dog for a few months and dated tech for a couple of years.
April 12, 2007 12:33:47 AM

Thanks for the responses gang.

I suppose I am a bit hesitant to jump into anything just because, as spoken above, there's no real DX10 games out there yet. However, I do play SupCom so I would jump on that patch, and I will be playing Crysis so there will be more use for the card.

I guess I am in a catch 22 right now. I can either wait till some DX10 games/patches hit the market and see what happens to the card prices, but selling my GX2s will be a bit harder buy that point, or I can buy a decent GTX (~$600) now, sell the GX2s for what I can get and probably be decently happy so long as the 8800s don't do a %25 price drop 2 days after I purchase mine (which always seems to be the case for me :p  )

That said, I've been doing research as to which brand 8800 offers the best bang for it's buck and I can have a few choices. All with the same set-up priced from lowest to highest:

eVGA
PNY
Leadtek
Asus
BFG

Now, I have had really good experience with both Asus and Leadtek but pretty much no GFX card experience with the others. The price range on all of those brands is $540-$575ish. All within my set aside budget.

Do you guys have any info regarding those particular companies and their 8800s?

Normally, I don't ask quite so many questions when it comes to computers. I've been messing with the things since I was a kid, but I am also not normally prone to buying bleeding edge just because I hate that aforementioned price drop that always hits me shortly after purchase.

I'd rather take some advice this time from a reliable group of fellow techies. Thanks in advance again.
April 12, 2007 1:03:27 AM

I've always had great experience with eVGA... good customer support, and lifetime warrenty, plus the 90 day setup program that lets you upgrade to a newer card for the difference of your old card and your new one.
a b U Graphics card
April 12, 2007 1:22:35 AM

IMO get the cheapest eVGA GF8800 GTX you can find.

The advantage is two fold.

First, they are great cards/support/warranty, etc.

Second, you have the option within the next 90 days of upgrading to the GTX's bigger brother when/if it launches, and thus negate some potential buyer's remorse.

this really reduces your concerns, and also if you do decide to sell it later the warranty carries over and is a good selling point.
April 12, 2007 1:30:23 AM

Hrm....eVGA I can do for a whopping $509. I wasn't aware of their lifetime warranty. That's a good selling point. And $509 after the rebate is a pretty fair price really for that. I can't find any physical deminsions on the card, but I would assume if I am housing dual 7950 GX2s right now it will fit in my, what I loosely call, desktop case.

Now....to sell those damned 7950s :p 

Thanks gang.

EDIT: This is the deal I found. Looks pretty damned good to me.

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=203444495&Sea...
!