hardware has changed significantly, re-activate xp

rivalneighbour

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
i have had a copy of xp pro for a few years. everytime i replace my motherboard, psu, and even psu, motherboard, cpu, and memory a message would pop up at the beginning of a boot saying my hardware has changed significantly please re-activate xp. i like my copy of xp pro and i wanted to know if it was ok for me to believe that i shouldnt have to buy another copy. the hardware that i had usually replaced i put in a new case and gave the pc to my son and he bought a new copy of xp to install on it. its gotten to where everytime i install xp pro i have to call microsoft to activate by phone. one microsoft operator on the phone said to me that the xp os has to stay with the pc.

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
I believe that when you replace your motherboard you have to re-activate. You don't have to buy a new copy, just re-activate.

Windows doesn't care about PSU, RAM, hard drive. Just motherboards. I don't think it even cares about CPU.

Smiler

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2005
Hello dmroeder.

So does that mean you can effectively upgrade your system (motherboard, CPU, graphics, RAM, PSU) and then get Windows XP reactivated?

How about installing a new hard drive? (say to go from IDE to SATA)

It seems a con to have to buy a fresh version of Windows if you are just upgrading components, but at what point does an upgrade become a whole new PC?

I could save on buying a new case, DVD, floppy and a copy of Windows and so afford to sell off my old componets cheap!

Cheers.

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
I think that an OEM license is tied to the motherboard. You can replace whatever you want, but if you change the motherboard you need to buy a new Windows license. (I must give kudos to MS here, as I've changed Mobos with an OEM license, and they've re-activated Windows - As long as you have a paid-for version, I don't think they care.)

As far as a Retail XP license, I think the number of changes (Vid card, Drives, Memory, etc) you're allowed is 6, before you need to re-activate.

Smiler

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2005
Hello exit2dos.

Yes, I probably should have specified that I was talking about an OEM version of XP Home. Is it worth my asking Microsoft about this?

Is not as though I want to change my motherboard for the sheer fun of it, but the whole point of the PC system is surely that the components are interchangeable and upgradeable!

Cheers.

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
If you're going to be replacing several components at once, you might try asking Microsoft first. Maybe they can transfer your license to a new CD-key, and you can start "fresh".

I doubt they will, however. Most likely you'll have to continue calling them after each change. :cry:

Smiler

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2005
If you're going to be replacing several components at once, you might try asking Microsoft first. Maybe they can transfer your license to a new CD-key, and you can start "fresh".

I doubt they will, however. Most likely you'll have to continue calling them after each change. :cry:

Well, I asked them and they said that an OEM copy "dies with the motherboard". Seems a bit harsh - what if your motherboard develops a fault :?:

fattony

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
yeah it sux but in that case you'd have to RMA the mobo with the OEM...if you're still covered by the warranty, just another reason why people need to stay away from OEMs and build their own systems

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
MS is indeed quite liberal with this.

I've got one customer who has activated 25 times(23 of them via virus destruction; He's an idiot). After the sixth time, we phone. Painless.

As long as you're legit, you've reinstalled because of: VIRUS ISSUES or HARDWARE REPLACEMENT. They will be fine with it.

G

I have upgrated RAM from 256 to 1,256 and XP said you have to reactivate.
If you change configuration of your PC 3 or 4 times you wount be able to reactivate any more. XP says : you have no more activations left!!!!
Bad policy from Microsoft.

Ch1215

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009

I have had the same copy of Windows XP PRO OEM for years and have had to reactive this copy 10 times due to changes on the motherboard. Last week I just added one more stick of PC2700 memory and a new power supply and the reactivate window again came up but also the Blue Star also appeared which means Microsoft now thinks my software is pirated. It was purchased from a legimate store years ago. I think MS is trying to make money anyway they can to get their stock price out of the toilet! Looks like Apple Wins again, enough bull!