Sign in with
Your question

people that want to play obliviion question

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 11, 2007 9:58:55 PM

there are alot of people that post here that want a card so they can play olbivion with max setting and spending anywhere from $500 to over $1K for video cards.

if they want to play oblivion that bad, wouldnt it be easier to just buy an xbox360 and play it there? not to mention cheaper?

More about : people play obliviion question

a b U Graphics card
April 11, 2007 10:13:40 PM

Oblivion can't compare on the Xbox. No user mods, and no HQAF and less AA levels.

A solid system with a single GF8800GTS will do things with Oblivion that neither the X360 nor PS3 could ever do.
April 11, 2007 10:21:01 PM

Oblivion on 360 looks like crap compared to PC.
April 11, 2007 10:23:10 PM

Quote:

Agreed.
a b U Graphics card
April 11, 2007 10:48:27 PM

I did my first go through with an X1900XT which can be had for about $200 nowadays, and it was pretty smooth. I didn't have HDR lighting turned on though. Just bloom, but it was still really nice, and at 16x12.
a b U Graphics card
April 12, 2007 12:00:00 AM

I game with my 1900xt. I also play oblivion, tho thats mainly why I went after my 1900. So if I buy a xbox, what should I do with all the rest of my games that I bought for less than any xbox game? And it wouldnt be easy to forget the eyecandy that I got with my rig. Naw, Ill keep my 1900 til the r600 and nVids response comes out thanx
April 12, 2007 1:38:51 AM

Quote:
You haven't seen what Oblivion looks like on MY PC. That is, back in the 9600SE days.
April 12, 2007 5:23:45 AM

Well if you want to play oblivion , good settings and stuff , get a 8800 gtx :D 

then you can really max it , also you should add another one so SLI with a QUAD is the only way to go for ultimate gaming experience .

8) plus the cool factor hehehe.

(ignore this post not very practical ) :lol: 
April 12, 2007 6:06:57 AM

Quote:

Very True!!!

also...I am of the opinion that no Game console can match a PC with 8800. Can It ???
April 12, 2007 6:26:34 AM

Quote:

Very True!!!

also...I am of the opinion that no Game console can match a PC with 8800. Can It ???

dude of course not.

i even remember the ps3 conference in e3 where he compared the ps3's gpu with 2 6800gt's (i think it was gt's) and at the time was like 700$ to sli em and that was one of the main selling points was that the ps3 would only be 599$ compared to a computer that would have to shell out 700$ to sli 6800s

just one 8800gtx has approx. 22 gb/sec more memory bandwidth 60000 more shader operation (aka 6-7 times more) and uh.. a whole lot of other shit compared to sli 6800gt's. In general no game console has the ability to out perform high end pc's then again price wise consoles will tend to always beat pc's
April 12, 2007 11:08:44 AM

i dunno, a nice x2 3800 rig could be had for less than $800 and would murder oblivion and eat its babies.
April 12, 2007 11:34:11 AM

Noooooooooooo! Another worthlesss console vs pc thread!
April 12, 2007 12:09:17 PM

Well you don't need a blazing rig to play Oblivion. You only really need more fps for first person shooter games anyway.

Not sure what you guys are on about really. I have everything set to max with HDR on and experience no problems in gameplay whatsoever and it looks fantastic, nice and smooth too. Even Arena battles are no issue on this rig.

Specs in signature.

This pc can be had for so cheap nowadays and plays most things very well, who needs a damn non-upgradeable console?!
April 12, 2007 12:24:41 PM

i aint saying which is better than the other, because both had their advantages and disadvantages.

yes PC will probably output the best quality grphics and power, but consoles can also be upgraded, just every 4-5 years when a new one comes out.
a b U Graphics card
April 12, 2007 12:28:16 PM

Quote:
Well you don't need a blazing rig to play Oblivion. I have everything set to max with HDR on and experience no problems in gameplay whatsoever and it looks fantastic, nice and smooth too. ..... Gainward Ultra 7800GTX 256Mb

On a GF7800GTX 256MB? What res? 640x480? It's about as GPU demanding as games get right now and the GF7's are pretty weak in it.

Look at what these two big sites managed on a 7800GTX 256MB.
http://firingsquad.com/hardware/oblivion_high-end_perfo...
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2746&p=4
April 12, 2007 12:41:18 PM

Quote:
Well you don't need a blazing rig to play Oblivion. I have everything set to max with HDR on and experience no problems in gameplay whatsoever and it looks fantastic, nice and smooth too. ..... Gainward Ultra 7800GTX 256Mb

On a GF7800GTX 256MB? What res? 640x480? It's about as GPU demanding as games get right now and the GF7's are pretty weak in it.

I play on 1280x1024 - TFT res!

I don't care what sites say coz I'm playing the game with these settings on this rig and it plays absolutely fine.

I have no idea what fps I am getting but it in no way stops smooth gameplay. Strange but true.
April 12, 2007 12:44:59 PM

I scrolled through all of the replies and I don't believe anyone has said this yet...

I PREFER TO GAME WITH A MOUSE!

I'm not pro-PC or anti-XBox... I'd just prefer to game with a mouse and for now the XBox does not offer that experience.
April 12, 2007 1:25:32 PM

Best answer yet ;) 

Totally agree, the only games that I would actually enjoy with a gamepad is some sports and racing games (still even better with a wheel for the racing games)

The mouse and keyboard combo is the best ever ;) 
April 12, 2007 1:30:40 PM

Quote:
i aint saying which is better than the other, because both had their advantages and disadvantages.

yes PC will probably output the best quality grphics and power, but consoles can also be upgraded, just every 4-5 years when a new one comes out.

Yeah upgrade a console every 4-5 years, so your stuck with the same old gametypes and graphics for that long?!

Or you could buy a pc which does much more than play games and dvd's. Upgrade the gfx card every so often whilst selling the old one on ebay and experience better gaming. Makes more sense to me.

I feel there is one advantage to a console and that is it's much better fun when you have a few friends round - play whilst drinking a few beers and it's a great laugh. That's something that a pc can never really achieve properly.
April 12, 2007 1:32:57 PM

Quote:
I scrolled through all of the replies and I don't believe anyone has said this yet...

I'm not pro-PC or anti-XBox... I'd just prefer to game with a mouse and for now the XBox does not offer that experience.
ps3 just got a new update then lol cuz they give you a controller with a mouse now for you FPS games lol now you cant use that one!!! :lol: 
April 12, 2007 3:55:34 PM

I don't like Sony, but it's a smart move on its part... people like choices. There are just some things a game pad will never do as efficiently as a mouse.

And no... I won't be buying a PS3 any time soon either. Sony has way more issues they need to address before I'm a customer of any of their products. As long as Sony (the electronics company) is also Sony (the media company) I doubt I'll ever feel comfortable supporting them.
April 12, 2007 3:58:36 PM

Quote:

Yeah upgrade a console every 4-5 years, so your stuck with the same old gametypes and graphics for that long?!

I don't think you're being fair to consoles when you said that... do you REALLY think that first generation NES games looked like the last generation? Remember Super Mario Brothers? Remember SMB3? What about the PS2... did those games really look the same over the life of that console? I realize you're stuck with the same hardware for 4-5 years, but the programmers do learn to optimize their code over the life of the console and you do end up with better graphics over time... but yes, there is a limit to the improvement.

I still prefer PCs... just not sure if your argument is a valid one against consoles. Just my opinion :) 
April 12, 2007 4:14:34 PM

Hey I rocked Oblivion on my pc for a long time... and all I have is (the equivilent of) an x800xtPE and an FX-57 with 1gb of ram.

Although it had serious crashing issues which were not heat or memory related... I made it through the game... maybe 50% (bigass game lol)

I didn't have real HDR but I played it at 1600x1200 with a lot of the settings eye-candified. I don't think you need an 8800 to have fun with it... unless you want HDR and a resolution past 1600x1200
April 12, 2007 4:29:06 PM

Quote:

I have similar specs to him, and I play oblivion at 1680x1050 with nearly all of the sliders maxed out. Only settings I don't have on are self shadowing, the number of shadows (Int and exterior) set low, and grass slightly less then max. I average 28 to 36 fps, mainly because I optimized Oblivion to run at that. I added the Polygone, LowPoly grass, improved LOD, no tiling, etc. It looks and runs great for that matter..

Surprise surprise people, you CAN run Oblivion on high settings (Albeit at 20 to 36ish) fps without a (as of today) high end card. This is also considering the fact that the Adrenaline mod I have too spawns a ton of enemies, which drags my fps down lower then if I didn't. I don't know how many people actually tried, but if you follow the tweaking guide at tweak guides, you can actually get a lot of performance out of Oblivion just by editing the ini file. Same goes for adding the optimizing mods.

Specs
Opteron 170
XFX 7900 GT (520/1500 factory overclocked)
2 GB Corsair XMS Memory
etc..

Woops.. forgot to quote
April 12, 2007 4:35:45 PM

Quote:

Or you could buy a pc which does much more than play games and dvd's. Upgrade the gfx card every so often whilst selling the old one on ebay and experience better gaming. Makes more sense to me.

I feel there is one advantage to a console and that is it's much better fun when you have a few friends round - play whilst drinking a few beers and it's a great laugh. That's something that a pc can never really achieve properly.

of course a PC can do more, but you also have to pay more, ALOT more.

And like someone posted, games graphics on Console get better with time, aside from the examples posted, also Compare Tekken 1 with Tekken 3.
Or any first gen PS1 game with FF8 and their videos which where out of this world for the time.

I know PC can do more and do it better, but you also pay more for it.

Console is a good investement if you cant affor to spend $1K every year or 2 to keep up with the latest Graphic cards and CPU's.

don't be so close minded, they both have their advantages and disadvantages.
April 12, 2007 8:27:22 PM

I'll bet that PS3 at 1280X720 will look better or as good as 1280X720 using an 8800.
a b U Graphics card
April 12, 2007 9:38:51 PM

Quote:
I'll bet that PS3 at 1280X720 will look better or as good as 1280X720 using an 8800.

I bet it won't, because the GF8800 has HDR+AA, HQAF, and the abilitiy to render features that the PS3 would need to go to limited host/CPU resources to mimic, and then it would run up against a memory barrier for CPU assisted features.

There was a time when consoles argualy could've done things that the desktop GPUs couldn't but that time has passed when the GF8800 leapfrogged the X360, the PS3 is a step back from the X360.
a b U Graphics card
April 12, 2007 11:55:15 PM

Quote:
I have similar specs to him, and I play oblivion at 1680x1050 with nearly all of the sliders maxed out. Only settings I don't have on are self shadowing, the number of shadows (Int and exterior) set low, and grass slightly less then max. I average 28 to 36 fps, mainly because I optimized Oblivion to run at that. I added the Polygone, LowPoly grass, improved LOD, no tiling, etc. It looks and runs great for that matter..

Exactly, which then becomes nowhere near max details. Those sliders and tweaks amount to a huge performance increase. What you did is believeable. What he claims, MAX details is impossible for aa 7800GTX. It would be single digit's in areas. A 7800GTX can't max 10x7 out in the foliage and remain smooth. FS averaged 22 fps at 10x7 MAX details. Anandtech averaged 19 fps in the gate benchmark and a low of 11-12 at 12x10 and that was with high details, not even max details.

I should have let it slide, but I just hate these impossible claims of maxing Oblivion.
April 16, 2007 7:11:26 AM

Whatever man - I am the one playing it here and I have no problems whatsoever. Believe it or not!

You can keep your figures from websites and magazines - this is me testing it at home and enjoying the game - that's what matters. People need to know that you don't need a quad core/8800gtx sli/4gb ddr2 blah di blah to play the game properly with nice eye candy.

Plus other comments about consoles - each to their own I suppose. I will always have a pc for the everyday stuff plus gaming and a console for those beer nights when poker isn't enough ;) 
April 16, 2007 7:51:56 AM

Quote:
there are alot of people that post here that want a card so they can play olbivion with max setting and spending anywhere from $500 to over $1K for video cards.

if they want to play oblivion that bad, wouldnt it be easier to just buy an xbox360 and play it there? not to mention cheaper?

BAD, BAD, BAD DOG (whacks on the nose with newspaper)
BAD DOG!

Play oblivion/morrowind on pc, then try it on xbx.
I luv my xbx, but id kill myself if i had to play Ob in it.

BAD DOG!

:p  :p  :p  :p  :p  :p  :p 
April 16, 2007 8:15:02 AM

Quote:

signed!
April 16, 2007 12:24:26 PM

THIS THREAD NEEDS TO DIE!!!

let it rest in peace!
April 16, 2007 12:27:12 PM

Quote:

let it rest in peace!

Stop posting in it then ya idiot :lol: 
April 16, 2007 1:44:01 PM

Quote:
i really shouldn't post here as i hate these threads but you are right there pauldh, i hate when people make all these claims about how great things run when i know that even my machine at those same settings ain't going to be brilliant.

better perhaps but not brilliant.

"great" is a relative term... one man's trash is another man's treasure.

I think Oblivion runs fine on my X2 4400+ w/ 2GB RAM and a 7800 GTX. I'll be damned if I could tell you what settings (I do know 1024 X 768... but that's it) and I'm sure there are plenty of people that would be completely offended by a similar Oblivion experience on their rigs. I guess it's all a matter of perspective.
April 16, 2007 1:46:09 PM

Quote:

let it rest in peace!

Stop posting in it then ya idiot :lol: 

you just continued it! :p  :p  :lol:  :lol: 

and now i just continued it again :oops:  :oops: 
April 16, 2007 1:48:11 PM

Quote:
I'll bet you're wrong; the Geforce 7 series doesn't support FP16+AA, and anisotropic filtering, if it was even used on the PS3 would be lower quality and show a larger performance hit with only 256MB of memory on a 128-bit memory bus.
!