Sign in with
Your question

Bought new Radeon X1950 Pro card - but lost TV out function?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 11, 2007 10:15:56 PM

Hey everyone. Long time reader, first time poster here.

I have a pretty old P4 3.2GHz homebuilt system with 2Gb of memory. Until today, I've been running a Radeon X800 Pro with 256Mb memory but just upgraded to a Radeon X1950 Pro with 512Mb of memory, still on the AGP 8x bus.

The new card is by Sapphire and has two DVI outs and a S-video out. My old card had one DVI out, one analogue VGA out and a S-video out. I have an old 19" Philips CRT monitor and a 32" HDTV connected via a 10 meter S-video cable into the living room.

TV out in clone/theatre mode worked perfectly with the old card, but I cannot seem to enable TV out with my new card. The Catalyst Control Center will not allow me to right-click and enable it, although I can switch the displays and get a picture on my TV. I also tried installing the Omega drivers but the same problem persists here.

As I watch 90% of my TV via the computer, this is a HUGE problem for me. Is there anyway to get my TV out to work? I have a vague recollection of maybe the analogue monitor interfering, but I don't know.

I'd appreciate any help. Let me know if you need more system specs.

Thanks!
April 13, 2007 8:55:09 PM

Hey,

I was having the exact same issue as you. I was also not able to go into the BIOS when I had the TV plugged in with the analog monitor because it wouldn't display until windows started.

I have a Radeon x1650 pro with the ATI catalyst drivers and was using an analog to DVI converter for my old analog monitor along with my TV as a secondary display. Like you said, I believe it has something to do with the analog monitor. Anyways, I just purchased a new widescreen DVI monitor and now it detects both displays just fine and I am able to use theater mode.
April 21, 2007 1:38:37 PM

For me, the answer was worringly simple. All I had to do was unplug my analog monitor and plug it into the other connector!! I swear I had tried this earlier - with no picture at all as a result - but that's what ATi support suggested. Of course, by then, I had already gone to the trouble of researching and purchasing a new DVI screen...which I returned and now all is well (except that sometimes Windows resets my primary screen resolution to 1024x768 and won't let me go any higher until I switch primary and secondary and increase the resolution and switch back - weird.)
!