BruceMyers48

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2001
I know you are not susposed to transfer xp from one pc to another but I changed the mobo and cpu in a emachine. I installed the recovery software but when the final disk wasdone, and rebooted it is in a complete boot loop. Are there ways around this muck. Bruce

sturm

Splendid
Can you boot in safe mode?
If so try deleteing all hardware under the hardware manager. This should make windows try and load the correct drivers for the new motherboard. If windows will load up with basic drivers you should then be able to install the correct drivers off the cd that came with the new motherboard.

BruceMyers48

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2001
NO I can't boot into safe mode. I will try to boot and always end up at the boot menu. I can pick safe mode and it tries but goes right back to the boot menu.

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
Most of the big computer manufacturers use "motherboard tattooing". They lierally burn the mobos identification numbers into the BIOS and is checked by Windows every time it starts. This keeps the version of Windows the computer ships with from working on any other motherboard - including another eMachine board, unless it's from the exact same model.

Actually, it's stored in the DMI in most cases... and the information in the DMI can be edited with a DMI editor. You can make Windows think you have a Dell when you really don't.