Sign in with
Your question

Should I buy a cheap PSU?

Last response: in Components
April 11, 2007 11:41:53 PM

I see no reason not to buy a cheap PSU. If it dies ill just replace it, right?

More about : buy cheap psu

April 11, 2007 11:44:38 PM

One PSU I use was free after rebate at Newegg. Works way too good for the price!
April 11, 2007 11:54:08 PM

If the PSU dies, it may not be the only thing to go. When PSUs die they like to take other things with them. So instead of just replacing a PSU you just bought, you'll also be replacing the mobo you just bought and maybe the graphics card. Cheap PSUs usually can't provide the same amount of power as higher end models (I'm not just talking watts here). You're taking a larger risk by buying a cheap PSU than you are just spending the money on a good one.
Related resources
April 12, 2007 12:53:06 AM

I'd give you 50/50 odds that when the cheapie dies it'll take something with it. Ask yourself if you feel like replacing HDD's or optical drives every time it dies.

I learned the hard way.
a b ) Power supply
April 12, 2007 1:19:28 AM

Yes you should buy as cheap a psu as possible. You should also use integrated video and a used (3+ year old) hd drive. Fans are also a waste.

I'd suggest going to a local dump that recycles computers and just pulling one out of the trash. You have nothing to lose. You can and should do this with food and used mattresses as well.

Just buy a bunch of really cheap PSUs and use a "y" connector to combine them together. It will be great. Actually your car's battery is DC just like the computer you could probably use that.

Seriously just buy a decent one and save yourself a lot of time later on. :roll:
April 12, 2007 1:23:11 AM

Quote:

If you see no reason not too buy one, then why bother asking "Should I buy a cheap PSU?" And to answer your second question bluntly, yes. All that needs to be said thereafter has already been said.
April 12, 2007 10:56:11 AM

Quote:
You know better then to ask this kind of a question. Or did everything go in one ear and out the other?

Uh.. It went through my eyes..

But in any case, u were there when my PSU died every 15 minutes, did that, ahem! "go through one ear and out the other"?

I now know that a PSU can never take the components with it, so ur theory of "if the PSU dies, it will take every other component wired to it with it" is wrong. And I like my chances here - our of over 50 times, 0 of those involved any kind of damage to any components.

Anyone want to challenge that? :wink:
April 12, 2007 11:01:00 AM

How do you know that exactly? Even if you had a million psus blow without taking out a single component, that doesnt mean it can never happen. Think about it: Psu power regulation blows, power surge, surge continues to other components and fries them.

EDIT: Besides, if I was to buy expensive components, I'd rather pay a bit more for a psu that is less likely to take them out, than a cheap one.
a c 144 ) Power supply
April 12, 2007 12:03:26 PM

Sure - especially if you have a cheap computer.

To be honest, I have never lost components to a cheap, failed PSU. And Box #2 (see sig) has run (mostly constantly) with no hardware problems for more than three years.

OTOH, I was not going to trust more than $1300 of new build to a cheap PSU.

john
April 12, 2007 12:03:46 PM

Randomizer is right. It's no coincidence that my old PSU and motherboard and HDD went out at the same time. Think about it.
a c 144 ) Power supply
April 12, 2007 12:17:53 PM

Additional comment: Yes, I am aware that the cheap psu could fail and release "magic smoke" or leave me with a puddle of molten copper or silicon lying in the bottom of the case. Of course, the same thing could happen with a good PSU. It's just much less likely.

For anyone unfamiliar with the "magic smoke" theory of electronics, it's quite simple. All electronic components contain magic smoke, and when it escapes, the component no longer functions.
April 12, 2007 12:29:09 PM

Quote:
I now know that a PSU can never take the components with it, so ur theory of "if the PSU dies, it will take every other component wired to it with it" is wrong. And I like my chances here - our of over 50 times, 0 of those involved any kind of damage to any components.

I hope this is a joke. The last system I bought pre-assembled (in 2K) had a nice and cheap DEER brand power supply. When this fried while doing the incredibly hard task of downoading (I know, musta been at least 5% cpu usage there) it took not only the psu but the motherboard and my athlon at the same time. I know this because I tested both extensively after the fact with other working systems. Add in the fact that my warranty had expired 7 weeks prior and I had a big heap of crap to work with. Not only do cheap power supplies risk your components but they can contribute to instability as well (higher voltage ripples, inconsistent current etc. etc.). SO, get a cheap one if you want but don't be surprised when you end up with random crashes or fried components.
April 12, 2007 12:34:07 PM

I insist that you should never buy a power supply for more than $20.
This will ensure we don't get lame postings from you very often, as your system will be hosed more often than not.
April 12, 2007 12:46:51 PM

Even if a cheap PSU doesn't blow up your system there are other reasons.

1) Noise - One key feature of PSU's I have come to enjoy is quiet. With Cheap CPUs, this is often very load and annoying. Many quality PUs's are very quiet. This can really make using the PC a bit more enjoyable.

2) Clean Power - Quality PSUs tend to have more stable power. This leads to a more stable system which likely will let you OC higher on lower power settings since there is less of a need to compensate for PSU power drops.
April 12, 2007 12:52:42 PM

Quote:
I insist that you should never buy a power supply for more than $20.
This will ensure we don't get lame postings from you very often, as your system will be hosed more often than not.

ROFFLE! Good point GherkinPekul
April 12, 2007 12:54:12 PM

I can not believe anyone would even ask a question such as this. Cheep is cheep, when it comes to power supplies cheep is crap.
April 12, 2007 1:27:32 PM

If your psu just quietly dies of old age with no ill effect.
Like, you just push the button and nothing happens... great.
Usually there's a loud and disturbing *POP*, smoke, and anguish when a cheapie psu gives out.
Keep in mind that virtually everything in the system is connected to it.
You're almost guaranteed to lose the Motherboard, probably a card or two, and likely a drive.
Or everything.
Or, nothing.
I wouldn't risk it.
April 12, 2007 1:38:15 PM

Quote:

if it dies there's a good chance it'll also fry your motherboard, chip, or ram, so yeah, you may be replacing it and half of your system as well.

Valis
April 12, 2007 1:39:50 PM

Quote:
For anyone unfamiliar with the "magic smoke" theory of electronics, it's quite simple. All electronic components contain magic smoke, and when it escapes, the component no longer functions.

wtf do you mean, THEORY?!!?

all hail the magic smoke. it is what makes electronics run.

Valis
April 12, 2007 2:14:44 PM

You all keep saying the same thing! "My PSU took my components", "There is still a chance it will take the components".

Are u not listening to me telling u that out of 50+ times, none of my components have not even been scratched? And this is on 3 computers. If u want, i can test this on my new 8800 GTX/Core 2 Quad PC, once i build it. Im not afraid, i have facts on my side!
April 12, 2007 2:26:50 PM

If your PSU was "dying" every 15 minutes then it really wasn't dying at all... PSU's ahve one life just like everything else, dying means it blows something and starts smoking, not whatever the hell you're describing. I've never even had a cheap psu blow on me, but that was a long time ago on a relatively weak system powerwise. Anyways I just had a PSU go bad on me, it didn't "die", it just wasn't providing the power it should and was shutting off my computer. Of course this didn't cause any harm to my other components, but if the PSU had actually blown out there's a good chance it would have.

So I guess you can buy a cheapo PSU if you don't mind waiting for a new one everytime it goes bad and your system starts randomly shutting off, or you can stockpile some cheap PSU's if you really love them that much. Even if they don't take any components with them why the hell would you wanna wait like 5 days to get a new one. Eventually you'll add up to the price of a decent PSU and you would've wasted your time completely dealing with random crashes and such. And btw you have no facts on your side man, only personal experience. If your PSU was just shutting off then it didn't die, usually they pop and smoke when they die.
April 12, 2007 2:27:09 PM

You sir are an idiot!

You know what... I would like to see that. Lets see you use the biggest POS PSU you can find and put that Quad core equipped system under a severe load. I want videos and pictures to back up your findings. If one of your components do not blow... well then GREAT! But, on the other hand, just risking a an 8800 GTX and a Quad Core just to prove a therory makes you more of an idiot then any of us.

Good day sir.
crim
April 12, 2007 2:50:32 PM

Quote:
You all keep saying the same thing! "My PSU took my components", "There is still a chance it will take the components".

Are u not listening to me telling u that out of 50+ times, none of my components have not even been scratched? And this is on 3 computers. If u want, i can test this on my new 8800 GTX/Core 2 Quad PC, once i build it. Im not afraid, i have facts on my side!

I had a S*** Aopen PSU that blew sparks and took the mobo, CPU and HDD.
So, are you not listening to us? Several people, and now me, are telling you that cheap PSUs that died on us have taken out several other components. You got lucky and we didn't. I still wouldn't bet your 2K+ system on a $20 PSU and luck.
April 12, 2007 2:53:00 PM

Unstable cheapo power supply on a 8800GTX and core 2 quad?
Genious, if it doesn't die or give the ungodly hiss of overloaded rails you'll be lucky if you don't get ominous errors and crashes.
As someone mentioned before, well beyond quality is clean rails that won't give you random problems that you'll spend days trying to fix assuming it's something else.
Efficiency will be garbage meaning the psu will be consistantly overloaded and you'll be spending that $20 for a cheapo more often than you'd spend one decent price on a "good" psu. You don't need a $200 supply, but a reputable one doesn't cost all that much either.
If you were going to get an "inexpensive" off brand supply that was relatively unknown, but had "good" advertised specs, that would at least be one thing.
April 12, 2007 3:03:52 PM

Quote:

You got lucky and we didn't.

Its not luck! 50/0 is not luck. Yeh.. i got lucky 50 times, that makes sense.
April 12, 2007 3:05:21 PM

Quote:
If your PSU was "dying" every 15 minutes then it really wasn't dying at all... PSU's ahve one life just like everything else, dying means it blows something and starts smoking, not whatever the hell you're describing.

I have never had a PSU explode or fill with smoke, and ive had several that died and never came back to life. So, there is really nothing to support ur claim.
April 12, 2007 3:07:32 PM

Quote:
You sir are an idiot.

Because i suggest that i would like to prove my theory to u?
Well, that makes perfect sense. Now wait, it dosent! And ur the idiot.

You ppl seem to think i dont know much about PSU's.. I studied under the great Micheal!
April 12, 2007 4:04:41 PM

It doesn't matter what you want to call it. Why are we getting into this with you anyway? With the way you're talking you were going to buy a sh**ty PSU with or without our approval. Do what you want, I don't care.
April 12, 2007 4:20:40 PM

Quote:
You ppl seem to think i dont know much about PSU's.. I studied under the great Micheal!

If you know so much about PSU's then why did you start a topic asking if it's ok to get a cheap PSU?
April 12, 2007 4:42:12 PM

I've had two power supplies die on me. One went harmlessly, the other went in a small puff of smoke and took my 7800gs with it. I've certainly learned my lesson.

You're free to believe whatever you like, and maybe your luck will continue. Or maybe you'll blow out a 500 graphics card.
April 12, 2007 5:01:15 PM

Quote:
You know better then to ask this kind of a question. Or did everything go in one ear and out the other?

Uh.. It went through my eyes..

But in any case, u were there when my PSU died every 15 minutes, did that, ahem! "go through one ear and out the other"?

Anyone want to challenge that? :wink:

My old MDM psu blew and took my motherboard with it, if that's enough for you.
April 12, 2007 5:14:21 PM

I've seen bad PSUs take the mobo with them.
April 12, 2007 5:19:49 PM

I've seen two power supplies fail catastrophically...well I saw one, the other I just saw the aftermath.

The first was on my friend's old 486, it had a matrox video card, 16mb of ram and one of those AMD processors they made to replace the 486 that was supposed to be as fast as a pentium, pretty sweet rig at the time, played dune 2 well :p 

Anyways he left the computer on overnight and from what the fire department investigators determined the psu caught fire and lit the papers on his desk on fire. Burned down half the house...

The second time was at a LAN party we were having, playing warcraft (the original warcraft) on a pentium 200mx it went "POP" really load and shot sparks into the case (we had the side of the case off) fried the motherboard good too, only thing that survived was an IBM 540mb hard drive.

We didn't pay much attention to what brand psu's we got back then, they came with the cases so we used em...
April 12, 2007 5:47:45 PM

The decision is your's bro, but you asked for our opinion and we say spend more. If you don't want to take our advise that's fine, but I don't think that you are going to change our minds on the subject. We have been burned by crappy psus and steer clear of them now. In the past I have a psus go bad and not take anything and I have had cheap psus even last a long time, but it's the piece on mind that will keep me buying good psus.
April 12, 2007 5:49:16 PM

Hey, how about my personal experience? And this is hard learned experience too.

It's possible they don't die but they keep killing stuff connected to it. I once had a PSU that didn't 'die' it kept chugging along but about every week it'd fry a hard drive or a CD-ROM.

I finally swapped the supply and the mysterious deaths stopped.

Point is...why risk your system with a cheap PSU?

EDIT: AdamBomb there about sums everything up. =)

The overwhelming experience on cheap PSU's says don't even think about one. You can go ahead and get one though if you don't mind gambling.
April 12, 2007 5:53:31 PM

You went through 50 PSU's with 3 computers and still want a cheap 1?

Even if your 50 PSU's didnt take anything with them, 50 * $20 is more than an expensive supply anyway.
April 12, 2007 7:03:25 PM

I don't see the point of this particular forum.
A lame question was asked. :roll:
Many answered. :) 
Answers denied. :x
More answers. :) 
More denial. :evil: 

My first upgrade was the PSU. I got a SeaSonic. Best $80 ever.
The new video card went in 5 min afterwards. 8)

EDIT:I could've just bought 4 POS PSUs :wink: But then i'd have to take them out...put one back in...repeat...i'm too lazy for that. Rather take care of it ahead of time.
April 12, 2007 11:23:48 PM

Quote:
I don't see the point of this particular forum.
A lame question was asked. :roll:
Many answered. :) 
Answers denied. :x
More answers. :) 
More denial. :evil: 

My first upgrade was the PSU. I got a SeaSonic. Best $80 ever.
The new video card went in 5 min afterwards. 8)

EDIT:I could've just bought 4 POS PSUs :wink: But then i'd have to take them out...put one back in...repeat...i'm too lazy for that. Rather take care of it ahead of time.

You arent the first to suggest im in denial. Just one of the idiots :D 

How does me saying "you have no proof. i do. shut up" put me in denial? Maybe u should learn what the word means.
April 12, 2007 11:58:53 PM

Quote:

How does me saying "you have no proof. i do. shut up" put me in denial? Maybe u should learn what the word means.

Maybe you should look at all of the proof. You have your 1 instance of the PSU not taking parts with it. There are 10 people who have posted in this thread who have said that at least 1 cheap PSU died on them and took other things out. 10 to 1 odds(at least) of the PSU taking stuff with it. I would not bet against that. Do what you want though. It has become obvious that you won't listen to our opinions and you never intended to. Begs to ask, why the hell did you post the question in the first place? You knew that almost no one here would agree. Answer my question and I'll leave you alone for the rest of this threads horrible existence.
a c 144 ) Power supply
April 13, 2007 10:35:25 AM

Quote:
I still wouldn't bet your 2K+ system on a $20 PSU and luck.

I would. But I am unwilling to bet mine.
April 13, 2007 2:57:14 PM

Quote:
You went through 50 PSU's with 3 computers and still want a cheap 1?

Even if your 50 PSU's didnt take anything with them, 50 * $20 is more than an expensive supply anyway.

lol, good point :lol: 

just buy the damn cheap psu, you were gonna get it any way, why bother asking if all you want to do is yell at us for telling you we have experianced.
a c 144 ) Power supply
April 13, 2007 3:19:37 PM

I am a little slow today. I just did the currency conversion. Over here, a cheap, generic PSU goes for 40 Saudi riyals. That is about $13 U.S. You are spending 50% more than you need to.
April 13, 2007 3:38:52 PM

Quote:

To be honest, I have never lost components to a cheap, failed PSU. And Box #2 (see sig) has run (mostly constantly) with no hardware problems for more than three years.

Ditto. 5 dead PSUs... nothing else died. There are those cheap supplies that come with generic cases... I burned out three of those. Then there are the Antec Smartpower series.. burned out two of those.

I am currently using two Free-After-Rebate ultra infinity 500W supplies... going strong for 6 months. OTOH, you couldn't pay me to use one of those cheap Deere power supplies.
April 13, 2007 4:43:59 PM

Quote:

Are u not listening to me telling u that out of 50+ times, none of my components have not even been scratched? And this is on 3 computers.

At $20 a pop, 50 dead power supplies = $1000, much more than getting a reliable power supply in the first place.

Even ignoring the cost, doesn't the chronic low grade annoyance of having to repeatedly replace failed power supplies really annoy you? Three systems, fifty power supplies, that's something like 16 replacements for each system ...
April 13, 2007 8:12:29 PM

Quote:

Ok, we'll go with 'ignorant'
April 13, 2007 8:16:52 PM

Quote:
I am a little slow today. I just did the currency conversion. Over here, a cheap, generic PSU goes for 40 Saudi riyals. That is about $13 U.S. You are spending 50% more than you need to.

+$ales tax or $hipping
=$20
April 13, 2007 8:55:53 PM

Either the OP is only posting this to get people riled up (which is the most likely explanation for this thread, and he succeeded) or he is just ignorant. Either way, I'm amazed by how many responses he's got and that people think he is 100% serious.
April 13, 2007 9:47:35 PM

Cheap power supply probably doesn't have good circuit protection, or at least not as good as it could be costs need to be cut somewhere. An overheating power supply is one thing a shorted power supply is another, a small surge is all your pc needs which is easily provided by a wall socket. Also power supplies do have transformers in them, you should learn to understand and respect the damage a faulty one can give.

Edit : I should also add where I work, generally the power supply in the majority of cases tends to be the most common failure in the system, and causes problems that someone would never bother to suspect being the culprit since 'it turns on'.
April 13, 2007 9:49:45 PM

Quote:

Hahaha!
I always wonder about the people who buy the best CPU,RAM and GFX card and then ask if a $30 "700 watt" psu is big enough.

Myself I have yet another near 3 year old Antec 550 that is on it's last legs and about ready to order another PC Power Cooling unit.

EDIT: In your list you have:
PC Power & Cooling 750W 60A 4 x 6pin NO ACTIVE (70%-79%) $220.00

Just so you know if you phone PC Power & Cooling and talk to a Tech they will sell you them for $169 (List price is $199).
Also the specs you have listed are incorrect. Current specs are :

Quote:
750W Continuous @ 40C (825W Peak)
Up to 90% (10dB) Less Noise per Watt
NVIDIA SLI Certified (Dual 8800 GTX)
ATI CrossFire Certified (Highest Level)
High Efficiency (83%); .99 Active PFC
+12VDC @ 60A (Powerful Single Rail)
Rock-Solid, Super-Clean DC Output
24-pin, 8-pin, 4-pin M/B Connectors
Quad PCI-E and 15 Drive Connectors
Automatic Fan Speed Control Circuit
April 13, 2007 10:23:28 PM

Quote:
If your PSU was "dying" every 15 minutes then it really wasn't dying at all... PSU's ahve one life just like everything else, dying means it blows something and starts smoking, not whatever the hell you're describing.

I have never had a PSU explode or fill with smoke, and ive had several that died and never came back to life. So, there is really nothing to support ur claim.

@ this:
Quote:
I have never had a PSU explode or fill with smoke

I have with a 2-way radio (12 volt)...and it was both loud and smokey when the cap poped!

All the PSU's for computers that have gone out on me over the years simply had the system restart a few times and/or killed everything in the system outright.
!