Problems with overheating/non-sufficient cooling on my DG965

Trab

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2007
Hi people,

First of all, I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum area, but I couldn't really tell in which should I post my problem.

Ok look, ever since I built my computer in february I've been having problems with low RPMs and CPU temperature.

My motherboard model is DG965SS.

All the time, my processor (Intel Core 2 Duo E6400) is running at 56-60 degrees Celsius while my stock fan is at 940-950 RPM and I see no way of controlling the Fan Speed in the Bios. I've also tried using speedfan to change the fan speed, but it doesn't recognize my CPU fan at all. (Only the 2 cores and my other two HDDs)

If anyone could help me out by telling me what to do in order to lower my temperature and making my RPM bigger I would appreciate it lots!

Thank you in advance
~Trab

prong

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
Hi people,

First of all, I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum area, but I couldn't really tell in which should I post my problem.

Ok look, ever since I built my computer in february I've been having problems with low RPMs and CPU temperature.

My motherboard model is DG965SS.

All the time, my processor (Intel Core 2 Duo E6400) is running at 56-60 degrees Celsius while my stock fan is at 940-950 RPM and I see no way of controlling the Fan Speed in the Bios. I've also tried using speedfan to change the fan speed, but it doesn't recognize my CPU fan at all. (Only the 2 cores and my other two HDDs)

If anyone could help me out by telling me what to do in order to lower my temperature and making my RPM bigger I would appreciate it lots!

Thank you in advance
~Trab

My suggestion:

If you absolutely can not adjust the CPU fan speed in BIOS or with any software you have tried you might try using a three pin extension from your CPU fan to the four pin CPU Fan connector on your MB. Leave the fourth pin on the MB CPU Fan plug unused this way. The four pin plug on your MB is clear in the picture. The fourth pin is very likely the BIOS CPU fan speed conection. I don't own the board so I may be completely off base. You may have already tried this, so I don't know if it will solve the problem for sure but it might be worth a shot.

http://www.intel.com/products/i/motherbd/dg965ss/dg965ss_lg.jpg

Ganbayar

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2007
I have this problem too.

My cpu heating up to 51-66*C
I couldn't solve it.

Anyone recommend us!!!???

Mine:
mobo: DG965WH
CPU: D945
RAM: 512*2 DDR2 Dual Channel
HDD: 320GB SATA II Seagate*2
DVD: SONY
CD: ASUS

Trab

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2007
get rid of the stock cooler and get a zalman with pwm

http://www.acousticpc.com/zalman_cnps9700nt_cpu_cooler.html

Okay, I bought yesterday a Cooler Master Hyper 6+ (because thats the only thing they had in my country), the box says it has PWM (4 pin) but I'm not sure what PWM is (i think i have an idea). Also, the box says it runs from 1800 to 3000+ RPM, right now its running at 1800 (i guess thats the lowest it can run) but i need help making it run at 3000+ rpm!

can anyone help me?

Trab

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2007
It's okay :lol: I bought a Cooler Master Hyper 6+ as I said before. I just need to find a way to make it run from 1900 RPM to 3600 RPM.

Please help.

windex

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
chnge the fan to a higher rpm fan but it will be loud.

the best thing is get a higher better made performance cooler that does not rely on loud high rpm fans for cooling.

cooler master is an oka computer case comapny but there water cooling sytems and heatsinks are not so good its best to stick with a comapny that just makes good thermall solutions like thermaright, Noctua, and zalman cpu coolers

also the tower type cooler are better at disapating heat than the coolers with the fans pointing down and blowing the cool hot air on the cpu also there is a prob with this kind of cooler it stops the heatpipe from properly disapating the heat the only company that has found a solution for thsi and i read an intersting arcticle on is Enzotech they actually place an aluminm heatsink over the base not making contact but with the purpose of stoping the hot ait from hitting the base.

http://www.acousticpc.com/enzotech_ultrax_120mm_cpu_cooler.html

but this heatsink is good if you have a clearace prob tower coolers are much better and you can run a quiet fan they dont need high speed fan yet achive higher performance

http://www.acousticpc.com/noctua_nh_u12f_120mm_cpu_cooler.html

Also make sure the base ios making prop[er contact and dont overdue it and put to much thermal paste i also recomend using Arctiiclean step one and two as well as the best thermal interface material out there arctic silver 5 thermal compound

windex

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
no doubt this new thermalright cooler is going to be a match for even water cooling some pepole may shy away from it because of a complicated install or the weight or im sure it will be pricy.

Also the Ultra-120 extreme is coming out and should be a big improvement with the extra heatpipes.

the noctua is a good deal with a fan included and extremly quiet noiseless @ 8dba
http://www.acousticpc.com/noctua_nh_u12f_120mm_cpu_cooler.html

the ultra does surve one purpose though it blows air all over the mobo chipset and ram, nb, etc.

windex

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
when i was talking about the ultra blowing air over the mobo i meant the ultrax from enzotech not the thermalright ultra-120 sorry

rammedstein

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
open up your bios, disable cpu smart fan and all the warnings, plug your cpu fan into a 3 pin header (power, nb or system/case, doesn't matter) then by default your fan will spin at 100% and you *should* be able to control it in speedfan.

DarthMTS47

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2006
I just installed the Enzotech Ultra-X on my C2D 6600 OCed to 3.2 Ghz. I used the Shin Etsu TIM (not the AS5 that came with the cooler) and replaced the OE fan with a SilenX 120mm to quiet the system a bit... I wanted a HSF that was blowing down on the heat pipe fins on my Asus P5B Deluxe.

Anyway, with my NZXT Lexa case temp at 23-24C, Intel TAT is reporting that I'm sitting at 31C idle temperatures, and around 40-41C under 100% load.

I had a Zalman 9500 originally, and it was keeping things "cool" at 38 C at idle and around 54-55 C under 100% load according to TAT.

Therefore, I'd highly recommend the Enzotech Ultra-X over the Zalman any day. It was a pretty drastic temperature decrease.

windex

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
True the ifx should be a better performer and it alows 140mm fans for more silence and increase airflow but what may shy some pepole away will be the size, possible price and space issues this heatsink is big.

While the ultra-120-e will have a solid performance no fiting issues and the price is verry reasonable another thing i like about the thermalright heatsinks theye are copper but theye do not get diull or cause corrosion on top of the processor because of there high quality nickle plate

Thermalright RULES

windex

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
I bet you mis the 4 pin fan with the pwm also zalman has the 9700-NT iwth the big 110 fan and pwm but the Enzotech is a good high quality heatsink and it seems to be getting more and more popular id like to see a tower heatpipe heatsink from them ill bet they will have one sooner or later.

windex

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
i agree me my self i would go with a ultra extreme from thermalright and i have one on pre order.

But sometimes you have space issues tower coolers may be too tall for a particular set up or you mayneed extra chipset cooling thats were the enzotech comes into place

Really it just depends on the situation.

In the perfect situation the Ultra would be my number one choice.

However what i like over the silentmaxx is
1 - it has a quiet fan the enzo fan is a loud delta

2- the silentmaxx has 6 heat pipes inted of 4 so it must performe better

I have an enzo already in a acrlic destop case from logisys but the next time i have a space issue i will try one of these silntmaxx coolers

Spanki

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2007
2- the silentmaxx has 6 heat pipes inted of 4 so it must performe better

Not at all, or at least, that's a bad assumption... the Enzo heat-pipes are 8mm instead of the 6mm pipes (or smaller) that many others use. There may be other differences in the internal design of the pipes themselves (wick-type vs. gravity, fluid used, etc.). The Enzo also has an excellent base design and quality construction - the other one may as well, my point is that you can't just make assumptions based on the number of pipes.

BTW, you can also slap whatever 120mm fan you want on the Enzo if you're not happy with it :).

I'm not sure why Taco considers the Enzo a newbie HSF, but all the reviews I've seen place it right up with the top coolers on the market, with the additional bennifit of cooling your NB/MOSFETs/Memory due to it's down-facing design... doesn't sound like much of a newbie fan to me :).

Spanki

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2007
I don't consider it a newbie one, just not above my personal favorites by thermalright, since the ifx-14 has 8 massive 8mm heatpipes and a backplate cooler, which is just unbelieveable 8O

You mean.. that thing that hasn't shipped or even been reviewed yet, will likely weigh a ton, cost a lot and eat up a lot of real-estate? Ahh - ok. :).

(but yeah, it shows promise)