when WindowsXP loads, it ALWAYS launches Windows Explorer!!!

fugly

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2002
and no matter what i tried i CANNOT turn it off. it would always be set to C:\Program Files directory. its been doing this ever since i installed my windows, back in 2003. i reinstalled like 5 times, formatted my HD, looked in settings, startup folder, msconfig, etc.. and i dont know why the hell it keeps launching WE on every startup.

any ideas?

my PC:

Athlon XP 2100+ AMD
1 gig of Corsair RAM (XMS) 3200
200G Seagate
80G Maxtor
ASUS MB
and some other stuff

most of the parts i bought in 2002-3

i installed WINDOWS XP from the same disk on other PC's and none had this problem, WTF!?!?!??!?!?!

Explorer.exe is the Windows GUI shell... are you sure you aren't getting the two confused somehow?

If you're referring to a folder opening on start-up, ensure that it's not in the start-up with MSConfig.

fugly

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2002
Explorer.exe is the Windows GUI shell... are you sure you aren't getting the two confused somehow?

If you're referring to a folder opening on start-up, ensure that it's not in the start-up with MSConfig.

well, i went to windows dir and clicked on Explorer.exe and it opens up the same explorer that launches at start. only it goes to My Documents, when the windows launches it goes to C:\program files. i tried everything bro, check startup folder, msconfig, and nothing there!!! i been trying to figure this out for years and so far no luck...

fugly

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2002
Check this out
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=228502

props, but editing registry seems way too complicated. plus for some reason when i installed Opera 9.01 and made it my default web browser, NO MORE WINDOWS EXPLORER STARTS AT STARTUP!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

thank you anyway

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Check this out
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=228502

props, but editing registry seems way too complicated. plus for some reason when i installed Opera 9.01 and made it my default web browser, NO MORE WINDOWS EXPLORER STARTS AT STARTUP!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

thank you anyway

Good idea to get comfortable editing the registry, somettimes it's the only way to correct a problem. Just make sure you backup the registry first, make sure the directions are from an absolutely relieble source, usually the software manufacturer, and follow the directions precisely

fugly

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2002
Good idea to get comfortable editing the registry, somettimes it's the only way to correct a problem. Just make sure you backup the registry first, make sure the directions are from an absolutely relieble source, usually the software manufacturer, and follow the directions precisely

i think you misunderstood me. i didnt do anything, all i did was install Opera 9.01, its a web browser, it asked me "do you wanna make Opera your default browser" i said yes. and ever since no more windows explorer pops up on startup.

i dont even know how to edit the registry let alone back it up. thanx for your help anyway.

TRENDING THREADS